U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with Best Buy?
Yes 29 41.43%
No 41 58.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 AM

28,392 posts, read 48,147,574 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have never had any problems in the past with Best Buy. Have you had any problems with Best Buy?

News, Lawsuit Claims Best Buy Isn't Living Up to Its Name.

Connecticut AG Files Suit Claiming In-Store Kiosks Part of a 'Bait-and-Switch' Scheme.

The Connecticut Attorney General is taking electronics super retailer Best Buy to task for a system he says is a "bait-and-switch scheme" that deceives customers.

According to a lawsuit announced today, customers were lured into Best Buy stores by prices quoted on the company's Web site, only to find the items at higher prices once they got to the store thanks to a lookalike Web site available only in the store.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Indus...ory?id=3209776

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-08-2009 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 AM

550 posts, read 2,607,569 times
Well that is just great. I can't go to Future Shop anymore because they are MEAN and do MEAN things to people and have staff that are MEAN and try to fix your problem in a MEAN way and then bring the MEAN manager over so he can be politely MEAN to me.

Whew, I think I am a little mad at Future Shop.

Anyway, I know FS owns Best Buy but I loved going there. Now where am I going to buy all my movies?

Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,907,607 times
I have only really made one big purchase there.. a tv, the sales girl was very nice to us, talked to me about the different features of the different tvs, I told her the size of tv I was looking for and that I didn't want those thingie on the front for video games... LOL I have a great RCA Huge tv for a great price, although the reception..ehh I think I will get another antenna..

Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,066,696 times
I heard that story about the website sometime last year. I believe they were made to discontinue it- but I've never been happy with the service level there. When I was shopping for a computer it was next to impossible to get assistance and when I did it was just to point me to where they were- not true assistance.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 AM

179 posts, read 725,956 times
I went to the Best Buy at the Cottonwood Mall on Black Friday last year. I don't remember what I was there for but many people were on line to purchase computers because of the huge discounts. One of the store clerks came around to see what people were waiting for to tell you if it was sold out. He had a clipboard with a list. Looked nice enough and sounded helpful or at least you would think so. Okay, Mr. and Mrs. were on line to buy their daughter a PC. The clerk said, it's in stock. Then, the two ladies in front of me were told by the clerk that BB was sold out of the laptop they wanted BUT, he could hook them up with his friend who for $50 would sell them a "reserved ticket" to purchase that laptop. What??? The ladies told him they were not interested. And Mr. and Mrs, when they reached the cashier, they learned the PC was sold out. We think the BB employee was just trying to get buyers for his friend's "reserved tickets". What a scam! The dude should have been fired immediately. They just got the "what do you want me to do" from the customer service person. We thought he may have been the friend with the reserved tickets for sale.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 AM

30,582 posts, read 28,239,601 times
Nothing less then great when I’ve shopped at Best Buy. My wife and I bought our last two HD TVs there and love them. No problems with the service, the products, and the employees were very knowledgeable and truthful about all of the information that they told us. I couldn’t find a better purchase price and the even lowed the price on one item as it was on sale in “online” with them so I received the lower price at the store.

My only problem is that I don’t like the loud music playing in some areas of the stores.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:04 AM

792 posts, read 2,920,496 times
I don't shop at Best Buy and I think eventually it will go the way of Circuit City if it doesn't clean up its act. The real issue I think w/ Best Buy is the fact that the floor personnel really aren't sales staff. They aren't commissioned, which is rare for specialized retail services like electronics stores. I know most of us hate the pushy salesman, the one we particularly are accustomed to at a car dealership. But the flip side is that you get negelected when you do need service and you deal with very unknowledgable staff. I purchased a 52" HDTV years ago when high definition wasn't "en vogue" yet. I actually was told that all HDTVS were "ready made" and you just had to hook up the cable and plug it in...WOLLA! Uh not quite, as little did I comprehend at the time, nor did the sales people decipher the differences between "HDTV ready" and "HDTV compatible".
I also had an issue with a ridiculous gift card policy after a digital camera I purchased didn't function....too long to elaborate. Also three years ago I was promised up and down on three occasions by the same two personnel each time that I would be contacted when a sales item arrived that I received a rain check for. Never happened and the item had long since been re-stocked.
That was the very end last time I stepped foot in a best Buy store. Isolated incidents happen every where. But there was ineptness across the boards in multiple stores from my experiences. Good riddance.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,515,884 times
I used to work for Best Buy
The in-store Kiosks have the same website that you view at any other computer.
Now what alot of people get confused about is the price with instant rebates, and with mail in rebates. Which they are all printed on the advertisements or on signage in the store (this is not only for BB, but other stores as well )
Everyone is just looking for a way to sue anyone for anything. It's sad really.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I used to work for Best Buy
The in-store Kiosks have the same website that you view at any other computer.
Now what alot of people get confused about is the price with instant rebates, and with mail in rebates. Which they are all printed on the advertisements or on signage in the store (this is not only for BB, but other stores as well )
Everyone is just looking for a way to sue anyone for anything. It's sad really.
I've noticed lately that the pricing in a lot of store ads shows the rebate, but the price quoted is "Before rebate is applied". This is probably a result of the confusion created by the rebate system.

Part of it is stupid people though. They won't or can't read the ad so they understand how the rebate works.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,518,190 times
No, not really, but they are a bit slow in repairing computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products