U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM

22,368 posts, read 19,829,302 times

Advertisements

I am about to get a music keyboard and I noticed that I just don't trust sales people anymore. When I go to a shop either I get the impression that they know less about a product than I do, or that they try to hide a product's weak spots from me or simply sell old crap to me. It seems to me that all they want to do is sell, sell, sell, no matter if the client got what he was looking for. Sometimes they tell you x is a fine product, then you go home in order to think about it, you go online and do some research on review and manufacturer sites only to find out it is utter crap. If it were food I would not care much, I would not buy it again, that's it. But when your resources are limited and you plan to invest $x,xxx, you want to be sure it is the right thing.
Sales and marketing literature only mentions the pros, naturally.
How do you decide whether a product you are interested in is really right for you? Reviews on YouTube, Amazon etc. often seem very contradictory. On many sites all you find is the text copied from the manufacturer's site. Given the huge range of products available in any segment these days, walk-in shops often don't have items for testing.
Once you have decided what to buy, do you buy online or in a shop downtown? Sometimes I feel a bit guilty when buying online as I know it hurts smaller merchants. But when the price differs by 20% on a bigger item, I hardly have a choice. Do you buy stuff abroad or is that too dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,923,295 times
I pay attention to consumer reviews. Some may be hard to interpret. If half are positive and half are negative, my guess is that you'll be only somewhat satisfied with your purchase. Most consumers are very candid when it comes to online ratings. I checked hundreds of ratings before purchasing my TV and always read reviews on things from cars to cosmetics.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

279 posts, read 566,577 times
Reviews usually on Amazon (also Newegg if tech)

Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM

22,368 posts, read 19,829,302 times
I read some time ago that even employees of big manufacturers are on amazon etc. in order to write reviews helping their companies. Their reviews tend to be more refined than normal reviews, usually when evaluating competition they praise the product and then add one or two negative things which they know can make readers turn away from that product
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products