U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 PM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times

Advertisements

I spend money only on necessary things. But then I will go with the best quality I can afford.
I enjoy to check, compare and find the best possible price for it. I am really happy when I buy something and know that I paid for it much less than other people had. This kind of experience make my shopping enjoyable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:52 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,977,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have thought a great deal about this, and I couldn't figure which 'category' to put this under, so I figured it could go here.

So, I have a lot of friends who have various incomes and lifestyles, etc. One thing I have noticed is that no matter which income level you're at, there is always a subset of people who think that shopping is great fun. Both men and women. Though women seem to do it more. (I am a woman, and I am not woman-bashing, fyi.)

I don't mean the addicted or the compulsive.
I am talking about those people who shop for recreation.

Shopping for the sake of shopping.

I know we're all different and we all find different things fun, but I shop to get the stuff I need to go about my daily business. I am not saying that I don't sometimes stop and pick out an extra item while I'm out getting groceries or whatever (just today I picked up a blu-ray at Costco while I was there getting cleaning supplies), but these people actually go out for the day or plan vacations with the purpose of going shopping for generally unnecessary items.

What really baffles me is when people do it when they really can't afford to. But that's a different topic for a different thread.

In any case...serious shoppers, tell me why you shop!!!
People are like Pavlov's dogs and are classically conditioned that shopping is a sport instead of a economic activity.

Classical conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM

14,505 posts, read 24,012,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have thought a great deal about this, and I couldn't figure which 'category' to put this under, so I figured it could go here.

So, I have a lot of friends who have various incomes and lifestyles, etc. One thing I have noticed is that no matter which income level you're at, there is always a subset of people who think that shopping is great fun. Both men and women. Though women seem to do it more. (I am a woman, and I am not woman-bashing, fyi.)

I don't mean the addicted or the compulsive.
I am talking about those people who shop for recreation.

Shopping for the sake of shopping.

I know we're all different and we all find different things fun, but I shop to get the stuff I need to go about my daily business. I am not saying that I don't sometimes stop and pick out an extra item while I'm out getting groceries or whatever (just today I picked up a blu-ray at Costco while I was there getting cleaning supplies), but these people actually go out for the day or plan vacations with the purpose of going shopping for generally unnecessary items.

What really baffles me is when people do it when they really can't afford to. But that's a different topic for a different thread.

In any case...serious shoppers, tell me why you shop!!!
Sometimes its a form of therapy.
In NY I was bored with my job, but the shopping on 5th Avenue was a nice reward

I think for women it's fashion, it gives you a fun sense of creativity, as long as you don't take it overboard .

The time i sensed the futility of it was when we went on a vacation for Xmas to Hawaii, at that point the shopping didn't seem important, I wanted to just enjoy the beach. And the ex wanted to enjoy the sports bars.

I guess everyone has different weaknesses/addictions.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,581,473 times
I like to window shop. I also extend my "window shopping" to the interiors of big-box stores and the like.

I really like antique shops, too.

Most of the time, I do not intend on buying anything and do not. I see it as similar to browsing a museum.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM

40,076 posts, read 48,987,760 times
I don't find shopping fun, but it does make the wife happy, she says it's her way of helping the economy.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,549 times
shopping is fun if you can manage your pocket

Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM

40,076 posts, read 48,987,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniflawre View Post
shopping is fun if you can manage your pocket
Yep, keep your hands in your pocket and just window shop...

Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,669,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Shopping for the sake of shopping sucks. I never do it.

When I need something, I research where I can get the best product for the best price, then I go get it.

But I never just go shopping for the sake of looking for something I might want to buy.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products