U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM

43,991 posts, read 53,828,965 times

Advertisements

I have thought a great deal about this, and I couldn't figure which 'category' to put this under, so I figured it could go here.

So, I have a lot of friends who have various incomes and lifestyles, etc. One thing I have noticed is that no matter which income level you're at, there is always a subset of people who think that shopping is great fun. Both men and women. Though women seem to do it more. (I am a woman, and I am not woman-bashing, fyi.)

I don't mean the addicted or the compulsive.
I am talking about those people who shop for recreation.

Shopping for the sake of shopping.

I know we're all different and we all find different things fun, but I shop to get the stuff I need to go about my daily business. I am not saying that I don't sometimes stop and pick out an extra item while I'm out getting groceries or whatever (just today I picked up a blu-ray at Costco while I was there getting cleaning supplies), but these people actually go out for the day or plan vacations with the purpose of going shopping for generally unnecessary items.

What really baffles me is when people do it when they really can't afford to. But that's a different topic for a different thread.

In any case...serious shoppers, tell me why you shop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,446,867 times
Shopping for the sake of shopping sucks. I never do it.

When I need something, I research where I can get the best product for the best price, then I go get it.

But I never just go shopping for the sake of looking for something I might want to buy.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,800,969 times
I think that the reason that most people innately like to shop (and maybe especially women) would come from something deep down inside from cavemen like days--hoarding your food for the winter, showing you were dominant to other tribesmen by having more things, providing for your family etc.

I love shopping, but then again I love fashion, and clothing. I went a year without buying anything (except if someone gave me a giftcard for my birthday or something) and I would still go to the mall to touch the clothes, think about the clothes, piece together new fashions in my head--ok maybe that's a bit extreme but anyways...
I love grocery shopping too pretty much any shopping.....

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

When I need something, I research where I can get the best product for the best price, then I go get it.

But I never just go shopping for the sake of looking for something I might want to buy.

I am the same way... and I am female.

I HATE to shop.
Stores do not have what I want and/or need.

Buy for the house?
I am into Arts and Crafts/Mission. Not common in stores and not something you buy on a whim, since it tends to be pricey.

Buy for me?
I need a minimum 36" inseam... too frustrating trying to find that off the rack.

But for my husband?
A 38' sleeve isn't in stores either.

etc, etc, etc.

No way shopping is fun for me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM

8,265 posts, read 18,718,318 times
Traditionally men were the hunters and women the gatherers. Maybe a fondness for shopping comes from all that gathering.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Its liie christmas in that buying something thrills.To some who shop and don't buy its a activity that gets them out;what use to be called window shopping.I can remmeebr when i was a kid we went window shooping downtown every satusrday but only bought if thinsg were needed like shoes etc. It was really a family outing.Women gto together window shopping and socialized really.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 AM

6,022 posts, read 13,689,988 times
blah, bad customer service in most stores, along w/ cheap and bad quality material, has made shopping far less fun. maybe it's more fun at places w/ better merchandise and CS, but I don't often go to these places. I sometimes like window shopping, but not a clothing stores (order of preference for window shopping: electronic/computer store, home goods store, makeup and cosmetic stores (yeah for free samples!)).

the ONLY time where I truly enjoy shopping is when I'm in a thrift or vintage store. the feeling you get when you find something that's actually usable/beautiful/cheap beneath the trash can't be had at a typical retail place, even in the clearance aisle. I often find myself at various thrift stores, looking for bargains (I'm always shocked by the number of name brand clothing I find at the SA. some some sweet Nine West boots, barely broken in, that were sadly a size too small for me. drat)

Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,124,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Same here! DH is the happiest guy on earth, because I research at home to just to be done with shopping in 10 minutes. I hate it LOL

Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM

43,991 posts, read 53,828,965 times
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like most are from folks who don't much care for shopping, though!

Where are the peeps like my pals...who plan Saturdays at Neiman's just for the fun of it?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,564,873 times
Window shopping in a downtown main street setting is fun. Shopping at big box stores is not.

Nothing can beat shopping on a Christmas season night in a bustling downtown area.

In Europe, there are Christmas markets, vendors selling all kinds of knick knacks and street food everywhere. It's the atmosphere that makes shopping fun. Mixing with all kinds of people and carrying on conversations with random street wanderers.

Other than that, I dislike most shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products