U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
...I'll be damned if I'm dropping a grand on, say, a computer and having it shipped to me in a box.
How do you think it got from China to your local store?
In a paper bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 42,715 times
I think it's great that 'shopping culture' is on the wane. Shopping from home makes it less likely that I will buy things I don't want. It also saves me from being pressured to buy buy buy or look like this this this. Online there is a far more competitive market, since sellers have to compete with the whole world from Hong Kong to Amsterdam. So there is massive downward pressure on prices as it's extremely easy to check if you're being ripped off. (not so in a shopping center, where there may only be 1 or 2 stores selling the item you are after -- and the few stores in reasonable proximity are likely colluding and price-fixing.) Consumerism is just an ugly byproduct of capitalism, and the more we can minimize it, the better IMO.

By the way I try to buy absolutely everything online, unless it's impossible. I even buy jeans online, since I only wear Levi's 514 jeans and I know my size. Prices online are a fraction of prices in the Levi's store. Plus I save time, travel costs, greenhouse emissions, annoyance of crowds, loud noise and lineups, and don't have to deal with the social awkwardness shooing away salespeople. Maybe one day if enough people stop going to shopping malls they will start to go bankrupt, the horrid cement and glass buildings will be torn down, and maybe even replaced with something worthwhile. Like a park. Would be nice to be rid of the multilevel parking structures as well, those are approximately as ugly as sin itself.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 AM

1,743 posts, read 4,074,053 times
I am doing my part to keep the tradition alive! But yes I do engage in a little online looking for stuff I cannot find locally.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 AM

750 posts, read 1,279,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I hate to be hounded by salesclerks about signing up for their store's credit card, or to buy more stuff because it's on sale or whatever; or to be asked for personal information like your phone number when you check out. I don't like having salesclerks chasing me around a clothing store with stuff I'd never wear telling me it would look great with my coloring, trying to pressure me into buying stuff I don't want.

I think that if retail sales in brick & mortar stores are falling off, they need to reexamine their policies of hounding their customers.

You can avoid a lot of aggravation by shopping online.

I do almost all of my shopping on line now, with the exception of jeans and pants and groceries.
I SOOOO agree with you! Being tailed like I'm going to steal something is one extreme. The other, more common extreme lately (at least in my area) is the lack of sales people. In some places, you need to run them down. When you do find them, they're busy stocking shelves or racks, and barley acknowledge you.

I've lately been looking to buy some jewelry. Well, good luck to me. Looking at ads for local jewelry stores, I see they are open Monday thru Friday, 10 to 4 or 9 to 4. Closed Saturdays and Sundays. Or only open from 11 to 1 on Saturdays. What?? Do they seriously expect people who work daytime jobs to take a day off work to buy jewelry? I'm certainly not going to buy jewelry off the internet. It's one of those things you want to see in person, try on, look at closely. So why do they make it so inconvenient? Or are they TRYING to go out of business? I don't get it at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I hate to be hounded by salesclerks about signing up for their store's credit card, or to buy more stuff because it's on sale or whatever; or to be asked for personal information like your phone number when you check out. I don't like having salesclerks chasing me around a clothing store with stuff I'd never wear telling me it would look great with my coloring, trying to pressure me into buying stuff I don't want.

I think that if retail sales in brick & mortar stores are falling off, they need to reexamine their policies of hounding their customers.

You can avoid a lot of aggravation by shopping online.

I do almost all of my shopping on line now, with the exception of jeans and pants and groceries.
I hear you on the store card thing; I get sick of the hard sell on that. "But you can SAVE x amount on today's purchase!" "Uh...NO!"

But I never get anyone hounding me when I am out clothes shopping. I remember years ago they used to start a dressing room for you if you had an armload of clothes; they would go fetch different sizes for you, they'd check on you. Now they ignore you at best; at worst they glare at you for making more work for them. I have noticed this across the board at Old Navy, J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, etc. This is why now if I am unsure of what size to try on, I get the item in 2 sizes so I do not have to keep running out to the floor to fetch more clothes myself. And sometimes I WOULD like advice on how to accessorize an outfit or how to coordinate pieces because these stores are supposed to educate their staff on their seasonal lines, but I never get that advice. If I ask, I get a bored shrug. So I look at the website instead. Customer service is dead!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,758,511 times
Shopping online allows me to price compare the exact same merchandise from various vendors. I find it easier to purchase hard-to-find items and specialty goods, plus find more coupons I can use, like free shipping. The last time I went to the mall was to buy a suit for a recent interview. I just had to make sure that the fit was impeccable, and that I could not ensure in an online purchase, I've bought electronics online...a laptop, a DSLR camera, a point and shoot camera, a scanner, external drives, Wacom tablet, video gaming chair, exercise equipment, software, jewelry, etc. etc. I also get the benefit of reading reviews about the product.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,058 times
The internet makes the life be so fast. You can get whatever you want on the internet. Sometimes I find I can't become slower. I even buy goods I want online to save time and make things go efficiently. So I know much great online shopping websites such as Amazon and sourcinggate.com. But how should I do with my saved time? I don't know.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 AM

11,336 posts, read 17,392,955 times
I think physically shopping is more fun (and faster), we tend to order online when an item isn't available at the store. I don't think I'd switch to just online shopping (that's boring lol).

Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I SOOOO agree with you! Being tailed like I'm going to steal something is one extreme. The other, more common extreme lately (at least in my area) is the lack of sales people. In some places, you need to run them down. When you do find them, they're busy stocking shelves or racks, and barley acknowledge you.

I've lately been looking to buy some jewelry. Well, good luck to me. Looking at ads for local jewelry stores, I see they are open Monday thru Friday, 10 to 4 or 9 to 4. Closed Saturdays and Sundays. Or only open from 11 to 1 on Saturdays. What?? Do they seriously expect people who work daytime jobs to take a day off work to buy jewelry? I'm certainly not going to buy jewelry off the internet. It's one of those things you want to see in person, try on, look at closely. So why do they make it so inconvenient? Or are they TRYING to go out of business? I don't get it at all.

kinda a contradictory complaint.

Complaining about store employees following you and then complaining there aren't store employees to help you.

Some people just can't be pleased.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,062,332 times
I actually do both and prefer online shopping, but I try to keep in mind that shopping in local stores helps to keep jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products