U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,249,094 times

Advertisements

I am trying to lessen my online shopping and shop in the brick and mortar shops in order to help the city/state via sales taxes.
If the difference between online and in the store is more than $10...I'll get it online.

Sometimes with certain clothing retailers, you can find more selection online and I'm not driving all across town just to find out they don't have my size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM

207 posts, read 600,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
kinda a contradictory complaint.

Complaining about store employees following you and then complaining there aren't store employees to help you.

Some people just can't be pleased.
Interesting. I was in consumer electronics store one time waiting for someone and the sales guy kept trying to sell me a big screen TV. I guess the extreme would be like the guy in the Hi-Karate commercial having to fight off sales people. I feel sorry for the people working at Walmart sometimes. I try to give them a kind word after I ask for directions or help.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM

22,026 posts, read 23,557,492 times
I do both....it just depends. Our big screen TV I bought last year online along with various other items....Clothes and shoes. Must see, feel and try on. Just can't do it online. I suppose if I had a specific item that I knew the size and brand fit me and I found a better price online I would do that but, overall, I need to physically be there for that. Sometimes, I just need something at a specific time and others, I don't want shipped to the house depending on who might be home to receive the delivery (gifts)....Furniture is another "must see and touch" thing....

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM

40 posts, read 79,851 times
Salespeople have gotten pretty aggressive in these times when spending has hit a lull but nothing beats getting out the house and the experience of actually "feeling" the item with your own hands before you purchase it.

Talking to a few human beings while you're there certainly beats simply pressing "buy now" on your computer screen and getting an email confirmation.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Totally agree. Many of our client consumers talk about missing the trip to the mall or local shop, because online shopping has been such a easy/lazy way to go about acquiring things. Although it is useful, nothing is greater than feeling the product before buying it. We started "TownandCityShopping.com" to help local shops in our community share their product and store experiences so that people can want to go and visit. It has been a success and we hope to continue supporting local and helping people get out, feel the sun/snow and indulge in the talents of shopping.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,995,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
It's good to get out of the home once in a while..
There ARE reasons to get out of the home besides shopping.

Hospice Compassus: Serving with Heartfelt Compassion : Volunteers & Donors could use you a few hours a week, for example.

If you really feel the need, you could probably also come home with a few less dollars than you started with as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM

746 posts, read 3,205,679 times
One solution to being hounded by sales clerks is to have grey hair and look poor. I find that easy to do. I am practically invisible at Best Buy and if some sales clerk starts prodding, my first answer usually stops them cold. I usually know more about the products than they do.

In most chains these days, it isn't really shopping anymore, it is pricing. The products have become boringly similar, with minor differences between them. This homogenous lack of choice is deadening, and since it is based on cheap vs. cheaper, the old way of shopping is an endangered species.

For decades past there used to be the value vs. price comparison as in buying something that was brass plated white metal vs. solid brass. Today it is plastic made in Beijing or plastic made in Calcutta.

Especially being in a very small rural city, with a WalMart being about the only choice, I spend most of my money online, finding well made goods at reasonable prices. On trips to big cities with lots of independent retailers, I do
shop up a storm, as I will next month in Boston. They have Newbury Street, an Apple Store on Boylston, and lots of eclectic boutiques in the South End and other neighborhoods.

That's when shopping becomes fun again. Unlike the horrid big box stores and cookie cutter chains like TJ Max and Marshalls where you can read a novel while waiting for a register to open up.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,617,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
kinda a contradictory complaint.

Complaining about store employees following you and then complaining there aren't store employees to help you.

Some people just can't be pleased.
It is.
There is no happy medium. Either the salespeople are hounding you or there's no one around at all. Once in a blue moon, there's a happy medium at a store.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,310,124 times
If I'm looking for a book or a DVD, it's a heck of a lot easier to just pull up the Amazon app on my iPhone and order it.

I still shop for clothes in person most of the time when I'm looking for something different or looking for a particularly good deal, but I'm a pretty boring dresser so it is becoming increasingly more likely that I'll just order online since I know what size I am.

I just don't have time to drive to the store these days if I don't need to, and shopping is a chore rather than a recreational activity as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather spend my time going for a walk or bike ride with my daughter or playing games with friends or just puttering around the house.

When I do go to a store like Best Buy, I tend to look online at Newegg while I'm in the store to see how much they charge for the same item. If it is cheaper, I'll just order it while I'm standing in the store. Best Buy is a great showroom for Newegg, and Newegg is invariably cheaper.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM

750 posts, read 1,279,346 times
Skeet09, I agree. I was talking about two polar extremes.

It's not contradictory, or so difficult to understand. That is, of course, unless you're a poster with poor reading comprehension. Or someone who prefers to dismiss both points with "some people just can't be pleased". In my defense, I made two separate points: 1. don't follow me around, acting like I'm going to stuff some item into my pants or backpack; 2. don't have so few salespeople on the floor that it's like stalking a deer to find one to help you.

Somewhere (anywhere) in between, I'm happy.

When a store gets it right, I shop there. If they don't, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products