U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM

1,954 posts, read 3,365,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev3ra9e View Post
Salespeople have gotten pretty aggressive in these times when spending has hit a lull but nothing beats getting out the house and the experience of actually "feeling" the item with your own hands before you purchase it.

Talking to a few human beings while you're there certainly beats simply pressing "buy now" on your computer screen and getting an email confirmation.
Talking to humans while you're out shopping ain't all that much fun if the humans are in your face like used car salesmen trying to sell you stuff you don't want and credit cards you don't need.

Pressing "buy now" just seems like a lot less hassle sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
At the governor association meetings economist told then that they expect teh svings rate to get backup tpowards 10% as in the 80;'s and of course that couped with the less credit available will natural mean people will be buying less.this was in response to questions about sales tax revenues in the future.That plus tax increases and federal budget cuts coming to paydown the debt will meanthat the sate will have even a tougher time providing services.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 12,633,082 times
I always want to see something before I buy it. If I get something online and it is broken or messed up, I can complain but then I will have no evidence that I wasn't the one who damaged it or whatever. Even if its clothes I do want to pick it off the shelf myself. Besides Walmart makes shopping easy cause I just go there and buy EVERYTHING, including groceries so I only go shopping twice a month.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM

56,623 posts, read 75,697,810 times
i think consumerism is dying. certainly internet is playing a role.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,953,749 times
Default No!

If the shopping culture has died then someone needs to call my wife because she has not heard the news!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,613,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
If the shopping culture has died then someone needs to call my wife because she has not heard the news!
Uh yeah..about that...the doctor called. Apparently the shopping culture 's sole life support is your wife. Without her, it would of been a goner by now. At least that's what the fake doctor said.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

92 posts, read 93,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Is shopping culture dying in the U.S.? By shopping culture, I mean physically leaving your house to buy things in a brick and mortar store.

Personally, I know some people who don't shop at actual stores anymore (except for groceries). They get everything from online 'stores'.

I think it already sucks that big box stores are all that are left to choose from in so many places in the U.S... let alone the fact that online stores are taking over from big box.

I think it's fun to browse around a store and physically see inventory. It's good to get out of the home once in a while.. Besides, not all prices online are cheaper than in-store prices.
Yeah, it certainly is changing. I think people will still want to shop for things physically though. I personally do 90% on line. I buy books, groceries, meds, and everything else online. I love Amazon for their free shipping. Not everything is cheaper but a lot is. Still it is fun to see and touch new things and I don't always see new stuff online.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,824 times
Americans buy too much anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products