U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,803,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Our little town has limited choices when it comes to grocery shopping. The two biggies being Kroger and Walmart, both being across the street from each other. We have been die-hard Kroger shoppers for years, mixing it up once in a while by going to Walmart. Recently I have been studying what items Walmart has that Kroger doesn't. The difference is massive. Walmart has food items that Kroger, I am guessing, refuses to carry. What I don't understand is that Kroger (at least in our town) has a massive size store, yet has little variety. Why do they refuse to carry more variety? People like change on some things. I guess we are going to start shopping at the devil store for a while.
Most people eat the same thing 90 percent of the time. I cannot imagine that Kroger would not carry everything you NEED to be fed. So much of what WM carries is pre-packaged crap. Take a look at the produce section. Most likely Kroger's is much better. WM produce looks like they fished it out of a dumpster most of the time.

I shop at a local grocery store that is less than 1/2 mile from WalMart. I would not be caught dead buying food there, and most everything else.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
Kroger has dies out i mnay areas fot ehcoutnry to toehr food chians. bascially people really decide what they think is best. that is the way it workes in this country. When wal-mart came into to town i saw alot of the otehr chains satrt lowerig porices. Some local have to offer much more service than they did to stay in business.Sprcailities is alos a draw they have but hardly enough to support a large store.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The "Big 4" chains (Ahold, Krogers, Safeway, and SuperValu) started to lose market share in most markets at the beginning of this recession. After all, 90% of the grocery business is volume, volume and volume. For example, when people found that Jewel (Supervalu) was charging $2.39 for its store brand saltines and Aldi was charging $0.99, they were choosing lower prices.

The problem is that the large grocery stores cannot just lower their prices as they are burdened with a lot of overhead. So they have done two things. First, they have done aggressive selective price decreases (note all of the 10 for $10 deals) and major cutbacks on staff.

However, some of these actions are the equivalent of shooting themselves in the foot. I was in a local Kroger's store on a Friday night at 7 pm and their deli (a high margin item) was closed. Yes, you CAN run a grocery store with three or four people in the entire store; however, a lot of the highest margin transactions require human interaction.

No problem. I ran down to the local independent Italian market, paid less for really first rate deli selections.
I have noticed that too. On the one hand we are saturated with grocery stores here (1 Super Target, 1 Kroger, 2 Tom Thumbs, 1 Sprouts, 1 Whole Foods, and 1 Neighborhood Wal-Mart plus a Fiesta further south of here). On the other hand service at all of them has suffered, even Sprouts, though service is still pretty consistently decent at Sprouts...it's not as good as it used to be.

The problem is that service at all of the major supermarket chains around here, even Whole Foods, is pretty poor. The Kroger's decline is shocking; it has gone from "OK" to "completely unacceptable" pretty darn fast. The local Tom Thumb used to have very attentive and friendly service but since that company (owned by Safeway) went on a tear reducing prices, their service has tanked. By "service" I don't mean being waited on hand and foot; I mean having more than one checkout line open on a Saturday so I don't have to join a line of 10 shopping carts and a friendly smiling face that thanks me for my business and doesn't mutter and grunt at me. That's really all I ask (plus I like for my groceries to be bagged properly and I don't mind if nobody's there to do it for me, I'd rather do it myself).

But that seems to be asking too much around here these days. They seem to be taking our business for granted and I don't like that.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,176,908 times
Quote:
Our little town has limited choices when it comes to grocery shopping. The two biggies being Kroger and Walmart, both being across the street from each other. We have been die-hard Kroger shoppers for years, mixing it up once in a while by going to Walmart. Recently I have been studying what items Walmart has that Kroger doesn't. The difference is massive. Walmart has food items that Kroger, I am guessing, refuses to carry. What I don't understand is that Kroger (at least in our town) has a massive size store, yet has little variety. Why do they refuse to carry more variety? People like change on some things. I guess we are going to start shopping at the devil store for a while.
Yep. This is exactly the point I've been making about my own experiences with Walmart in other threads. I was never a Walmart shopper, didn't even support the chain for the same reasons most dissers don't.

But, y'know, a few times in the past several months I have had to find what I need at Walmart because no one else sells them. I am very partial to a particular brand of walking shoes that Famous Footwear used to sell. They recently stopped stocking them, and no one else carries them, either ~ except Walmart. One is currently being built 6 miles in the next town, and I'll be over there when it opens to buy those shoes.

This also happened with a couple of other items I was after.

So for me it isn't about cheap ~ it's about availability.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM

367 posts, read 355,989 times
Walmart shopper here. Sorry! In my neighborhood, I have a Kroger (practically next door), used to have an Albertson's but it closed, Tom Thumb and a WalMart.

In my old neighborhood, I was a fiathful Tom Thumb shopper. Loved their selection, also the produce was great, and most of all, they gave frequent flier miles through their Reward card program. Sadly, they ended that program and thus ended my Tom Thumb shopping (except every now and again).

When I moved to my new neighborhood, I tried Kroger, Albertson's and eventually WalMart. Albertson's grew on me ... but I hated that their Rewards program did not really give you anything (they eventually ended the whole program) and then the whole store closed.

Kroger is TERRIBLE. They consistently put expired/nearly expired produce and other foods on their shelves. Potatoes that grow eyes within 48 hours of being in my home, milk that is within 2 days of expiring, etc. If you reach back, you can find fresher foods, but the fact that you have to reach back to find it is inexcusable.

I know that is some areas the Walmarts are just gross, and I would not want to shop there every week for groceries. But my Walmart is huge, clean and you cannot beat the prices.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
I tend to shop at Kroger mostly and go to Walmart for the stuff I can't find there. Selection and rude employees do not concern me, I was just wondering which store is actually cheaper?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM

15,244 posts, read 20,195,624 times
Quote:
I guess we are going to start shopping at the devil store for a while.

Come on over to the dark side, dad.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,970,668 times
In my area, Kroger stores vary considerably. My closest one (not a small store, probably 45K SF) has an ugly decor package from about seven years ago, a teeny tiny produce area and an awful deli, but if I drive ten minutes away, the produce section is bigger than my house and they have twice the deli selection, not to mention that the store looks darn good inside. Another five minutes' drive, and I can go to Kroger Fresh Fare, which even has Skyline Chili (a Cincinnati-area delicacy hard to find in SE MI as this area prefers a slightly different chili) and Boar's Head deli meats. They even have cool paper bags with handles on them . The one thing my local store has going for it is that it's open until 1AM seven days...my trips there are more often than not between 11 and 1. My local Kroger has a lousy ethnic food selection, too.

Super Wal*Marts around here are pretty similar, okay perishables and meats and a deli with brands I've never seen anywhere else. Store brand items cost more than at Aldi (they tend to be within a few cents of Save-A-Lot, who isn't all that cheap around here) but national branded items are often a LOT less than Kroger. There is a Super Evil*Mart in Dearborn with a very good selection of Middle Eastern products and Latino products, but that store has higher prices on a lot of things than other Wal*Marts.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

8,083 posts, read 11,896,920 times
Keep shopping at Wal-Mart and soon that will be your only choice

which is fine if you don't care but if and when they switch up their policies, products or prices - you'll be hosed

Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
I will say this now to get it out of the way.
Kroger is worse than Walmart but not because of shopping selection or cranky employees. It's business practice.
Kroger can mess up and no one notices (talk to anyone who has worked there over 2 years) but if walmart even sneezes in the wrong direction everyone is on its butt like toilet paper.
Honestly, the rest is case by case. Most products in your particular store are chosen by the area, population, ethnicity, average income for the area, etc... I stay with the organic products myself and the manager's discounted items are nice and plentiful usually. I can't always get my favorite but everything helps.
All in all, it's not so bad for customers. Business standard supplies what is demanded. Until better is demanded businesses will remain the same or atrophy until they must be replaced. They're not self sustained at all. So you, as well as all around you, get to decide what is demanded. Talk about it with people in your area. You may be surprised how similar your wants are. Then bring them to the manager and see what s/he can do for you, or write to corporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products