U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,444 times

Advertisements

I watched a news segment recently that described a recent problem with shoplifting at the local mall. The news made it sound like a signifiant percentage of the population engages in it. I understand many kids do it for the thrill, but many of the recent arrests are of young adults and middle-aged individuals. I even read about in my town how a 71 year woman was arrested for stealing grociers out of the ShopRite in town.

First of all, shoplifting is the stupidest thing to do unless you are desparate. For someone to shoplift for the thrill or if they actually do have the money is blame mindless. If you are caught, I am sure it is very embarassing. Being arrested in public (I do NOT know this from experience) I am sure is not fun. Secondly, you spend a night in a 8 by 8 cell that smells of urine and sounds of drunken losers. Then, the worst part is your record. If you have to go to court again, it will make you look like a questionable character. Also, try finding work with that record. Hence, stealing 20 dollars in shirts or a 50 dollar pair of pants is simply dumb when you look at the consequencies.

However, people still do it. Why? Why do so many women do it? Isn't it true almost as many women get caught as men...unlike every other crime? Third and most importantly...how many people really engage in it, at least occasionally? Is it really that high of a percentage? (I forget the estimate that the news gave). What are the overall stats on race, age and gender? Are the official stats to be believed? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
JL

7,363 posts, read 12,061,163 times
I believe it has increased also considering a few months ago, i heard about Walmart letting go alot of shoplifters since it took too much time to prosecute. It all adds up though. I wonder if people nowdays change the price tags on items before they checkout at the register. That was pretty common years ago where i lived.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
------" i heard Walmart letting go alot of shoplifters "--

Not the Walmart Supercenter I go to.
I personally know the guy in ---lost prevention-- and he stated if caught, he fills out the paperwork on everyone they catch and turn the paperwork into the local police.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
A lot of youngsters do it on a dare.
A lot of older people on fixed incomes do it because they can't afford what they want or feel entitled to.
A lot of personal items/sexual aids are taken because the person is too embarrassed to take the item to a register and pay for it, you might be surprised at how often we find used pregnancy tests in the restrooms where I work.
Some people do it because it makes them feel they are smarter than the average bear and "getting away with it" gives them a rush.
Some people do it so they can bring the merchandise back hoping to get a cash refund.
Sometimes professionals come in and "shop us", usually the merchandise is resold at flea markets, ebay, and the like.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
The items most often shoplifted in the Walmart near me comes out of the------electronics---area.

-------"bring the merchandise back hoping to get a cash refund"----
Yes, and tha is why I can't understand why posters ( on a different thread) want easier and easier return policies instituted.

Shoplifting costs everyone money cuz stores got to factor their shoplifting losses into their prices.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,133,354 times
I shop at WalMart because that’s where the stuff is that I can afford to buy.

If I were going to shoplift, I would go to the stores that sold the stuff that I can’t afford.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM

11,614 posts, read 20,770,772 times
That's what shoplifters do (Nordstroms, Macys, etc.) - but they often get caught
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products