U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,218,756 times
Reputation: 773

Advertisements

Did I blame them for the reciept being lost NO, learn to read. I said thier system of not being able to help a customer should that happen sucks. PERIOD. I guess your so fricken perfect you have never lost anything. Excuse the f outta me for not living in your Eutopia.

I'll bet if I lost my keys Mazda would be able to track a way to get me new ones.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Reputation: 25467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I paid for delivery confirmation and insurance. I am not afraid to pay more for good service. My point is that is you misplace the reciept with your info on it they have NO WAY to help a customer... thats **** poor.
There is no easy way for them to help you without the tracking number, but you still might be able to get the issue resolved by doing exactly what your cc company suggested and that is to dispute the transaction. Probably take a few weeks by the time is all said and done, good thing you didn't pay with cash.

I doubt Mazda would give you a new set of keys without making you jump through hoops, provide proper documentation, and the entire process turning into a major PITA, why should the USPS be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,330,634 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Did I blame them for the reciept being lost NO, learn to read. I said thier system of not being able to help a customer should that happen sucks. PERIOD. I guess your so fricken perfect you have never lost anything. Excuse the f outta me for not living in your Eutopia.

I'll bet if I lost my keys Mazda would be able to track a way to get me new ones.......
When you buy a car for $15-20k they keep the key #'s on file especially over the past couple of years and then you pay about $80-100 for a new key with the chips built in.Otherwise a locksmith will charge you $200 to do a mold.
As for the post office,I previously worked for them and had a good friend with UPS.Here's how it works.The postal service is considered a government entity but does not get any of the breaks or money that government based companies do including government health coverage. When you send a package through UPS or FEDEX you pay a premium for tracking.The post office has many different classes of shipping based on the customers request.One of the most popular nowadays is the flat rate boxes where you put as much stuff as you can(no matter the weight) in a box and pay for that.Now let me ask you this.Can you ship 5 lbs of documents,etc...from NY to Cali for $5 or less with anyone else? No,you can't.EVERY TIME you go the window ALL reps will ask you whether you want delivery confirmation or not too. Now if I were sending back something especially if it had decent value,i'd get a high level of tracking info and not just the basic delivery confirmation.If you know specifically the day when you sent it,they might be able to pull receipts to get you a tracking #,but that wont help much.Unless you are sending something by express mail,or registered,it will still be hard to locate.Express and registered mail are signed for by internal reps at every location whereas regular delivery confirmation and certified items are mixed with regular mail.Now over the last couple of years the post office has been using more temporary workers based on their current hiring freeze and with the early outs that some carriers and clerks have taken,it doesn't help either.Hope this gives you a little more insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,463,848 times
Reputation: 4915
We have lived overseas.

I love the US Post Office! The USPS is not without a wart or two, but by and large I think it is the best postal service in the world.

It's apples to oranges if you're trying to compare the the US Post Office to a private courier company (UPS, FEDEX, etc).

It's apples to apples if you compare the USPS to other postal services in the world. There are many countries in the world where the post office is just a black hole for letters and packages. Things may go in one end.....but they never come out again.

An acquaintance in another country went into the post office there, and on the door was a sign "Here you may not post letters, buy stamps, or ship parcels." Of course my friend was questioning-- exactly what they did do at that Post Office?

If you want package tracking, parcel insurance, signature confirmation, delivery confirmation, next day delivery, the USPS will sell it to you, they have all those options.

They deliver mail right to your door. Mail losses and corruption are minimal. Their service is usually dependable and reliable. I absolutely defend the quality of the service from the USPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,249,094 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The fact that the USPS doesn't provide the same level of tracking services as UPS and FedEx isn't really new news. That's why most places suggest not to use them for packages you have to be able to prove were delivered. The problem isn't always (and fact may not usually be) with USPS, but rather with the company receiving the package. "We never received it" is a familiar line, and usually one can counter it with the proof of delivery from UPS or FedEx. I wouldn't be so quick to lay all the blame here on the Post Office.
I just recently sent off something from USPS and I was amazed at how detailed their tracking was.

I have been using the USPS a lot lately and I haven't been dissapointed.

I just say do whatever works for you. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will. (This isn't directed at any one person...just saying this in general.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,330,634 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I just recently sent off something from USPS and I was amazed at how detailed their tracking was.

I have been using the USPS a lot lately and I haven't been dissapointed.

I just say do whatever works for you. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will. (This isn't directed at any one person...just saying this in general.)
Here's an easy breakdown.Delivery confirmation is scanned when it leaves the initial office and is delivered to the destination but nowhere in between.Express mail is scanned at every point from the beginning to the end.The same is true for registered vs, certified mail. Registered is handled alot more securely than certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,288,860 times
Reputation: 2545
USPS is on my sh*tlist right about now, but I'm trying really, really hard to keep my anger in check. The situation is, yesterday a postal worker (who is not new but who is not our regular, dependable guy) "delivered" two packages to my home-- well, that's what tracking says. But, those packages did not go in my mailbox, and I was home and did go out to check my mail as soon as I heard the truck. I figured, okay, tomorrow then. So today I re-check tracking info, and call the PO as well, and they're sticking to it-- showing they were delivered yesterday. They can't get the guy's side until tomorrow; the postmaster did try to help, but to no avail. I'm so frustrated. WTH could have happened to my mail???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,330,634 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
USPS is on my sh*tlist right about now, but I'm trying really, really hard to keep my anger in check. The situation is, yesterday a postal worker (who is not new but who is not our regular, dependable guy) "delivered" two packages to my home-- well, that's what tracking says. But, those packages did not go in my mailbox, and I was home and did go out to check my mail as soon as I heard the truck. I figured, okay, tomorrow then. So today I re-check tracking info, and call the PO as well, and they're sticking to it-- showing they were delivered yesterday. They can't get the guy's side until tomorrow; the postmaster did try to help, but to no avail. I'm so frustrated. WTH could have happened to my mail???
If it came out through the tracking that they were delivered and didn't require a signature,then he could have left them on the front or back porch.Some people leave them behind a bush if you have one by your door.I'm not sure the area you live in and whether it's safe or not to leave packages but most carriers do that unless a signature is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,288,860 times
Reputation: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If it came out through the tracking that they were delivered and didn't require a signature,then he could have left them on the front or back porch.Some people leave them behind a bush if you have one by your door.I'm not sure the area you live in and whether it's safe or not to leave packages but most carriers do that unless a signature is required.
Yeah, I wish he'd have left them on front porch or elsewhere on my property! I was home, there was nothing here. So, I'm beyond ticked off, and understandably so. Someone has to be accountable for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Reputation: 25467
Mail hoarder cases stack up - Washington Times
Mail theft used to be a problem where I lived, also have had packages left out in the rain. Got to the point that anything that was important I had delivered to work. Got some funny looks from my boss, but better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top