U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,288,860 times
Reputation: 2545

Advertisements

I wonder, what recourse do I have? The mail carrier is blatantly responsible for the loss, as he delivered to the wrong address. Am I now just SOL? This is crap. He "doesn't remember" delivering them to my house; yeah idiot, that's because you didn't. Ugh. This sucks. I'll say it again, someone has to be held accountable. What should be my next step??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
285 posts, read 722,986 times
Reputation: 161
I've bought and sold over 100 items on eBay. 80% of the time through USPS and never had a problem. If I'm shipping something fragile or expensive, I always use insurance. I'm sure some USPS locations are a lot worse than others. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Reputation: 25467
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I wonder, what recourse do I have? The mail carrier is blatantly responsible for the loss, as he delivered to the wrong address. Am I now just SOL? This is crap. He "doesn't remember" delivering them to my house; yeah idiot, that's because you didn't. Ugh. This sucks. I'll say it again, someone has to be held accountable. What should be my next step??
From the USPS FAQ
"If you have a tracking number for your item and would like assistance, please contact our Track and Confirm customer service at 1-800-222-1811.
A claim for a lost item must be filed by the mailer. If you believe you have not received a specific item in the mail, contact the mailer of the item to track the item or to file a claim.
If you have not received any mail within a two day period or if you are not receiving mail regularly (i.e. on a specific day of the week) for two or more weeks in a row, please contact our general customer service at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)."


Doubt that it will do a lot of good but it's a place to start. Don't suppose you had the pkg insured did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,288,860 times
Reputation: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
From the USPS FAQ
"If you have a tracking number for your item and would like assistance, please contact our Track and Confirm customer service at 1-800-222-1811.
A claim for a lost item must be filed by the mailer. If you believe you have not received a specific item in the mail, contact the mailer of the item to track the item or to file a claim.
If you have not received any mail within a two day period or if you are not receiving mail regularly (i.e. on a specific day of the week) for two or more weeks in a row, please contact our general customer service at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)."


Doubt that it will do a lot of good but it's a place to start. Don't suppose you had the pkg insured did you?
Thanks, it might do some good. I did not have the package insured, but it was not offered as an option to me. I guess it's possible that the sender did, but I'm still working on getting that info. I also want to file a formal complaint against that particular mail carrier, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the number, I will pass that on to the sender, and perhaps call it myself to see if I can get any additional info. It's a start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 16,984,270 times
Reputation: 5248
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
What should be my next step??
You should confirm that the sender had your correct address. I had an instance once where i didn't receive a package and it showed as "delivered". It turned out that the stupid sender added an extra digit to my address, and it was subsequently delivered to that address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Too far from the beach, NJ
5,073 posts, read 4,288,860 times
Reputation: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You should confirm that the sender had your correct address. I had an instance once where i didn't receive a package and it showed as "delivered". It turned out that the stupid sender added an extra digit to my address, and it was subsequently delivered to that address.
I'm going to do this right now. Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is, not one but two packages that day went missing (I might not have mentioned in my original post). But I'm trying everything I can at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,218,756 times
Reputation: 773
Good luck. I bet you will get 100 reasons why they cant help you.... that is if you get past the BS automated system they have. CRAPOLA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,249,094 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Here's an easy breakdown.Delivery confirmation is scanned when it leaves the initial office and is delivered to the destination but nowhere in between.Express mail is scanned at every point from the beginning to the end.The same is true for registered vs, certified mail. Registered is handled alot more securely than certified.
I don't see why you felt the need to reply to my post listing this info.
I looked on their website, saw the different offerings, chose an extra service and was happy with it.

As I said, everyone may not have a good experience with USPS and I won't sit here and say just because I had a good experience, everyone else will. Just like the OP, just because they had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else should expect to have a bad experience as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,330,634 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Yeah, I wish he'd have left them on front porch or elsewhere on my property! I was home, there was nothing here. So, I'm beyond ticked off, and understandably so. Someone has to be accountable for this.
I 100% agree,someone should be accountable.Everyone should have common sense enough to be able to judge whether it is safe to leave or not.Also if the carrier delivered it to the proper address.Another suggestion,I would ask the postmaster what time it was scanned as delivered.Some people scan all of their confirmation mail before leaving the office which is wrong and unethical whereas others scan as they deliver which is the correct way to do it.If you get a much earlier scan then usual that could also tell you about the ethics of that specific carrier.When I worked my route I never had a problem ever.When a package didn't show up for a customer,they would call the office and ask why Lance wasn't working today.When the supervisor would ask how they knew I was off,they'd reply: because Lance doesn't make mistakes! I loved hearing that story from him! Most carriers are very good and go above and beyond to take care of their customers. Unfortunately sometimes you get the bitter ones or the ones who have no sense of pride and loyalty for "Their Customers",even if it is just for that day.Now if it never was delivered or it's lost,I would immediately make a claim.Hope this gives you a little more insight and feel free to ask any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,330,634 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't see why you felt the need to reply to my post listing this info.
I looked on their website, saw the different offerings, chose an extra service and was happy with it.

As I said, everyone may not have a good experience with USPS and I won't sit here and say just because I had a good experience, everyone else will. Just like the OP, just because they had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else should expect to have a bad experience as well.
I posted this because it gives you a BETTER idea what services would be appropriate if you are considering using the post office for shipping.The worst is when someone assumes that delivery confirmation means it can be tracked properly,when really it can't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top