Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM

610 posts, read 3,009,521 times

Advertisements

Which website(s) are the best to use when looking to sell something online: Ebay, craigslist, online auction, IBid, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,298,613 times
I think it depends on what you're selling. I've been buying on eBay for 12 years; it's the first place I look for anything. However, it's hard for a seller to get started there as many buyers are reluctant to buy from someone who doesnt have an established feedback history.

I'd never consider buying on craigslist. Other online sites, except Amazon and etsy, dont really have much exposure so buyers arent aware of them.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM

40 posts, read 89,450 times
Definitely depends on the volume of items you are selling and what they are. Here's a quick breakdown:

Craigslist: Local selling of items. Face-to-face pickup. Selling items "as-is" that may have some defects, signs of wear or use. Think of this as just an online garage sale.

Ebay: Good place to create a passive stream of income for shippable items. Also good for items that don't have a specific "set value". In other words, many items value lie in what they are worth to the buyer or how much the buyer needs. Also a good place to auction high-demand items in low supply.

Amazon: Great for items that have a set value. If the items you are selling are also sold by Amazon and they are either new or like new then this is a great platform for doing so. Not a good place for "garage sale" miscellaneous items.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,114,994 times
Sure seems like more and more con men are using Craiglist to both buy and sell than was evident a year or so ago.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,791,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Sure seems like more and more con men are using Craiglist to both buy and sell than was evident a year or so ago.
Can you explain further?

Craigslist is totally overrun with scam job postings now, unfortunately, but I hadn't noticed scam merchandise for sale. Can you elaborate?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,449,722 times
I can't agree with you on that Marmac - at least for my area of CraigsList. I actually have had a few good experiences, including selling a snow blower of my Dad's and finding a woman who sells brand cigarettes at low cost (I know - I should be ashamed!!!). You certainly have the option of going to see the item for sale before making a purchase. And you also have the ability to barter or haggle. This is just my experience for my area - but I have been really happy with CraigsList.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products