U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:53 PM

511 posts, read 240,174 times

Advertisements

Some sellers feel eBay is greedy, so they give a person max feedback, but list a complaint. So they get the complaint in there but don't increase sellers negative feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
I have made around 150 purchases on ebay and only twice have i left negative feedback. the first time, the seller contacted me and rectified the problem so i withdrew the feedback. this time around the seller refused to budge. this morning i went and checked that my feedback was still there and low and behold, the seller had gone back to 100% positive. ebay did not even have the courtesy to contact me and ask me why. i wonder how often dodgy sellers on ebay have had their poor feedback removed only to go on and rip more unsuspecting buyers off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 PM

9,688 posts, read 8,141,621 times
I rarely buy on eBay nowadays. When I do buy something, I rarely leave feedback. IMO, the way the system is set up now, it is pretty much meaningless. When I do leave feedback, it is carefully crafted to say nothing. Such as: "The item was shipped in a timely fashion, and arrived intact."
I find that there is little or no communication between sellers and buyers these days. It seems that most sellers are actually businesses, not casual, the guy next door trying to get rid of something. One seller I remember very well stated "I am not doing this as a business, this is a hobby. I might take a while to ship your item. If you expect shipping within 24 to 48 hours of payment, you probably should not bid!" When I checked his auctions, he had over 500 current listings. Hobby? Not with that volume; THAT is a business!
Then there are those sellers which charge 1 and a half times the actual shipping cost. I have sold enough to know that packaging and "handling" charges are not that much!
But, I find the same thing on the shopgoodwill.com site. Shipping charges often exceed the cost of the item, and they always add a $2 to $4 fee for "handling". Even if you go to the store and pick the item up, you still have to pay the fee. I look a lot, but rarely buy.
I do nearly all my online shopping/buying on Amazon or local craigslist.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 PM

5,836 posts, read 2,398,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I rarely buy on eBay nowadays. When I do buy something, I rarely leave feedback. IMO, the way the system is set up now, it is pretty much meaningless. When I do leave feedback, it is carefully crafted to say nothing. Such as: "The item was shipped in a timely fashion, and arrived intact."
I find that there is little or no communication between sellers and buyers these days. It seems that most sellers are actually businesses, not casual, the guy next door trying to get rid of something. One seller I remember very well stated "I am not doing this as a business, this is a hobby. I might take a while to ship your item. If you expect shipping within 24 to 48 hours of payment, you probably should not bid!" When I checked his auctions, he had over 500 current listings. Hobby? Not with that volume; THAT is a business!
Then there are those sellers which charge 1 and a half times the actual shipping cost. I have sold enough to know that packaging and "handling" charges are not that much!
But, I find the same thing on the shopgoodwill.com site. Shipping charges often exceed the cost of the item, and they always add a $2 to $4 fee for "handling". Even if you go to the store and pick the item up, you still have to pay the fee. I look a lot, but rarely buy.
I do nearly all my online shopping/buying on Amazon or local craigslist.
The 'Free Shipping' button, and the 'Price + Shipping: Lowest First' search option are your friend. Usually sellers with very uncompetitive prices, put high shipping charges on their item, so they can lower the price of the item. That puts their item higher in the search results. When you search for Price + Shipping: Lowest First, those sellers go right down to the bottom of the list where they belong. I find that sellers with free shipping usually have the best total price. So those are the ones I buy from, if I have a choice.

Of course all eBay sellers are business people. Most of them have business licenses. But I believe that 99% of them are still individuals or very small businesses. Example maybe a small family owned shop. I always look at the return address when I receive an eBay item. Often the shipping address is an apartment in the city, or a farm in the middle of nowhere. 500 listings is not really that much. A person could easily have that many items stored in their garage, or basement. Hell if I decided to sell everything I own right now, I could probably find thousands of items in my apartment to list on eBay. So I don't think 500 listings proves much. IMHO.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM

10,959 posts, read 15,247,610 times
As far as one way street on feedback it's the final value fees that are greatest income for Ebay. All of that add's to zero if there are no buyers.
Some buyers were getting strikes for unpaid items, etc. and their feedback ratings were low. I once saw someone with -3 when you start at 0. Sellers could block those users so they could not bid or change their settings so all bidders had to make contact before bidding or could not bid if their feedback rating was under 10, etc. All of that is geared toward the buyer.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
As far as one way street on feedback it's the final value fees that are greatest income for Ebay. All of that add's to zero if there are no buyers.
Some buyers were getting strikes for unpaid items, etc. and their feedback ratings were low. I once saw someone with -3 when you start at 0. Sellers could block those users so they could not bid or change their settings so all bidders had to make contact before bidding or could not bid if their feedback rating was under 10, etc. All of that is geared toward the buyer.
How does a buyer get negative feedback? My understanding is that it is impossible for a seller to leave negative feedback to a buyer.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,993,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
How does a buyer get negative feedback? My understanding is that it is impossible for a seller to leave negative feedback to a buyer.
They can't now, howard was posting in the past tense
Quote:
...Some buyers were getting strikes for unpaid items, etc. and their feedback ratings were low....
I'm guessing ebay removed the ability to leave bad feedback on a buyer because it was detrimental to the buyer returning. Just think if you walked into a store, and you were somehow marked as a 'bad buyer' because of some transaction that went awry in the past. I know I would stay away from that store.
So yeah, ebay Final Value Fees = $$$ for ebay. They want happy customers that come back.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:24 AM

10,959 posts, read 15,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They can't unless you leave them a positive with a negative comment that is not so bad that Ebay removes it. Example: + feedback but: Auction finally settled w/partial refund 4 questionable issues. Oh well.

Ebay will discipline buyers when sellers keep having to open claims or resolution process to get paid or satisfy these buyer. Send me a DM and I'll tell you an Ebay secret.

By the way I once sold an item to someone and they did not pay. I watched all their other Ebay activity and they were bidding every day and winning auctions every day. The excuse they gave Ebay was that they had lost a child at birth. What a joke and Ebay would not let me give them a negative or give them an unpaid buyer strike. About the worst excuse for not paying. They bought a good 20 items in the days and couple weeks after failing to pay for my item.
There are good sellers and bad sellers and good buyers and bad buyers.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
They can't unless you leave them a positive with a negative comment that is not so bad that Ebay removes it. Example: + feedback but: Auction finally settled w/partial refund 4 questionable issues. Oh well.

Ebay will discipline buyers when sellers keep having to open claims or resolution process to get paid or satisfy these buyer. Send me a DM and I'll tell you an Ebay secret.

By the way I once sold an item to someone and they did not pay. I watched all their other Ebay activity and they were bidding every day and winning auctions every day. The excuse they gave Ebay was that they had lost a child at birth. What a joke and Ebay would not let me give them a negative or give them an unpaid buyer strike. About the worst excuse for not paying. They bought a good 20 items in the days and couple weeks after failing to pay for my item.
There are good sellers and bad sellers and good buyers and bad buyers.
I know one seller who had a bunch of trolls bid up the price on one of his items to a ridiculously high amount. At first he got really excited thinking he was going to get a lot of money. But then as the price kept going up, he realized no way was he going to get paid that much for it. Sure enough the winning bidder cancelled the bid, but still left him a ridiculous negative feedback accusing him of being a scammer. I told him to report it to eBay and ask them to remove the negative feedback. But he decided to just quit eBay instead.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
They can't now, howard was posting in the past tense
I'm guessing ebay removed the ability to leave bad feedback on a buyer because it was detrimental to the buyer returning. Just think if you walked into a store, and you were somehow marked as a 'bad buyer' because of some transaction that went awry in the past. I know I would stay away from that store.
So yeah, ebay Final Value Fees = $$$ for ebay. They want happy customers that come back.

That may be the reason they did it, but they also lost a whole lot of sellers by doing so. Guess who brings more to the table for Ebay between a seller who sells 100+ items per month or a buyer who buys 5?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 612 times
I suppose I should post to the topic at hand...

I am a Top Rated Seller on Ebay, and have completed more than 12,000 sales there since 2012. I've been on both sides of this topic, having had feedback I left for others removed, as well as having feedback left for me removed.

I left a neg once for a seller who listed an item as "like new", when it was in fact quite dirty. He got it removed, and I've never actually figured out how. My feedback comment was "Item not as described".

On the flip side, I've had negatives removed on at least a half-dozen occasions, all of which that can be filed under "problem buyers".

Examples?

1. Buyer claimed a messenger bag was not as described because it wasn't waterproof and I had listed it in excellent condition. Guess what? The manufacture doesn't describe it as waterproof, and neither did I.

2. Buyer's comment was along the lines of "shipping charge too high". Removed... I charged exactly what the listing stated.

3. Feedback extortion. This is certainly the most frequent. If a buyer states in communication with the seller something to the effect of, "It would be a shame for me to leave negative feedback. Give me a partial refund", case dismissed. That's an easy one to remove.

Basically, if the seller can show that the buyer is unhappy about something that is clearly spelled out in the listing, that feedback can be removed.

I'm currently dealing with a buyer who has been hurling insults at me for a few days for shipping something that doesn't fit her. There's a return open, and the item is on its way back to me. Game on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products