U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 45,961 times

Advertisements

Here is my penultimate communication with ebay. They will not give a reason for removal, other than 'it fits the criteria'. I have also requested that I be allowed to revise my feedback, even tho there was nothing wrong with the original, and they have refused.

Subject: RE: RC=CU0467 Sending suggestions to eBay [#UK ?01 ] (KMM28374487I15977L0KM)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:30:10 +0100

Dear Ms Rachel Albemarle

Thank you for your response from the eBay Trust & Safety division, confirming that I have been denied the much advertised right and protection of leaving negative feedback for one of you Power Sellers who have failed to provide the articles ordered in good faith and have failed to refund payment for the article.

I am sure this ebay policy is not widely known!

Thank you for confirming that 'it had been removed as it fitted our criteria for removal', and that you are unable or unwilling to 'provide specific details about the results of our investigation that led us to remove the feedback you left' and that I was not notified about the removal or given opportunity to revise the feed back so that it is acceptable.

I am sure this ebay policy is also not widely known or advertised!

I therefore again ask, what specifically is wrong with the feedback which I left?
Will you please provide opportunity for me to re post a revised feedback?
Will you please undertake to notify people when you see fit to remove feedback?

It appears to me that such secret, unilateral removals at the simple request of Power Sellers, is completely contrary to the stated widely and much vaunted feedback system upon which buyers and sellers alike rely to see what type of person they are dealing with and as such this ‘small print’ policy undermines and voids the whole concept of Trust and Safety in ebay processes.
For your information, I intend to take legal action against (Removed) for breach of contract in that they repeatedly stated in writing that they would resend the items but have evidently failed to honour their undertaking and this appears their intention all along.
Below is the correspondence which underpins and proves this breach of contract beyond doubt and can therefore only be categorized as a 'bare faced lie with intent to deceive'.

Please also note that re the issue of ‘which email address to use’, by using the reply to sender button of their original mail, (From: eBay Member: (Removed) Sent: 14 April 2010 18:40:41) , an email was generated to (Removed)
To then dare to criticize me for not using the correct email address is absurd.

Also at no time did (Removed) ever provide me with the email which they wanted me to use. Rather, they actually used a completely different email, (Removed) to complain about the fact that I had not used the ‘correct email address’, and then used that to carry on communication until they were sure the 45 days were expired.

Anyway, please find correspondence below and I hope that ebay ‘Trust and Safety’, take this matter seriously and address the glaringly obvious flaws in the current protocol/actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:31 AM

You are absolutely right. It is outrageous that they do this. They are simply protecting their Power Sellers as a good income stream and do not care if people are ripped off by them

Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Made my first Fleabay purchase back in '97, but haven't availed myself of their services since 2004. Not once. I am OVER Ebay.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM

RE: RC=CU0467 Sending suggestions to eBay [#UK ?01 ] (KMM28772500I15977L0KM)‏From:
Sent: 14 June 2010 18:44:24
To: ukcswebhelp@ebay.com

Dear Yvonne Blanket

I am appalled at your answer as it logically means that people are no longer allowed to leave negative feedback for this trader, which is contrary to your advertised 'feedback scheme' and makes your feedback scheme completely worthless and misleading.

Would you please advise why I cannot leave an alternate negative feedback for this trader?

I have to ask, "Who benefits' from this action and it appears that the only viable answer is that ebay benefits because a rogue Power Seller will continue paying ebay commission on 'sales' / 'cons' which otherwise people would not be duped into were people allowed to warn others about them.

Yours sincerely
Steven Butler

> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 07:42:08 -0700
> From: ukcswebhelp@ebay.com
> Subject: FW: RC=CU0467 Sending suggestions to eBay [#UK ?01 ] (KMM28772500I15977L0KM)
>
> Dear Steven,
>
> Thank you for writing back to us regarding the negative feedback you
> left on "seafishinguk" which was removed. I understand you want to leave
> another feedback against this member.
>
> Unfortunately, you won't be able to leave another Feedback comment or
> rating for this item although the negative feedback you left for this
> member has been removed.
>
> As mentioned on our previous email, the feedback you left for this
> member has been removed as it fits one of our feedback removal criteria.
>
> Please note that our decision to remove the Feedback does not constitute
> us finding that the identified Feedback is defamatory or otherwise
> unlawful.
>
> I trust this has helped to ease your concern. If I can be of any further
> help simply reply to this email.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Yvonne Blanket
> eBay Trust & Safety

Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,447 times
There is something wrong with the op's story here... eBay has never and still does not remove neg. feedback without justification (ie - it violates the rules..) eBay strongly favors buyers, ask any power seller! The op isn't explaining her side very well but if the op is posting neg. rude feedback before asking the seller to correct any errors, then she is especially at fault and perhaps resorting to feedback-extortion. Shame on her. eBay wouldn't have removed it without cause and no they don't have to tell you that they removed it or hold your hand or explain why. You violated a code of ebay ethics. eBay is not 'emotional', they simply follow the rules. Just seeing that she wrote that she actually noticed (went back to check, apparently holding some sort of psycho-crazy grudge) that the seller's rating went back to 100% (100%!!!! Clearly the seller is a fair seller. come on now... and this petty buyer is the one to blame) the problem lies with this bitter buyer. Who is afraid to even post what she posted for feedback. Move on, and and learn to be a better person and have a happier life! Sheesh!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,715 times
Default I also had my feedback removed from a power sellers account

I also had this problem with a power seller, and got the same replies from ebay when I asked why my negative feedback was removed.

My feedback simply said that the item was not as described in the advert, which it wasn't, and I stipulated why. I did nothing that would violate the criteria they have on their website.

The feedback system is now basically useless, and possibly has been for a long time, iv'e only just come across this sort of problem now. It makes you wonder how many of these power sellers have 100% or close to 100% feedback through getting feedback removed in this way? Since there is no indication of a dispute, the feedback just simply dissapears like the transaction never existed.

In future I won't be using ebay anymore, I think i'll just go to a proper online or high street retailer from now on, at least I know I can take things back for a refund at places like that. Ebay was once great, but it's just a mess now.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,329,136 times
I found a bit of power that when I make a payment I use only the credit card option for paypal.
I have twice disputed charges and had the funds reversed. I did get a call both times from paypal asking why, I informed them that the seller did not ship product and I had applied thru their proper webpage's for a refund to no avail. Be advised that you may lose buying privileges doing that but being ripped off is not worth keeping that.

Now, the OP still has not told us what he wrote as feedback. Pretty evasive, gives us the emails corresponding but not the feedback all has asked to see.

Many sellers hold off on leaving feedback at all until both parties are satisfied. Of the 3000 sales and purchases I have made I have a feedback of 781. I have only not left feedback on about 12 transactions. Recently I made a small purchase, a couple of antenna toppers. Within a hour of opening the package I get a email telling me he sees I received them and to leave him feedback. I only leave feedback once a week for all transactions. I do leave him positive feedback
New and quick shipping. I do not need reminders on leaving feedback, AAA ferret. (781) Oct-05-10 22:07
Think he left me any?

2 years ago I sold a mandolin. Email after email, check is in the mail. After 30 days I get refund on sellers fees and resell it. A check arrives in the mail about 35 days after that sale. I return it to him stating he did not reply within the terms stated and that it was resold. The bastard leaves me bad feedback.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshcat View Post
There is something wrong with the op's story here... eBay has never and still does not remove neg. feedback without justification (ie - it violates the rules..) eBay strongly favors buyers, ask any power seller! The op isn't explaining her side very well but if the op is posting neg. rude feedback before asking the seller to correct any errors, then she is especially at fault and perhaps resorting to feedback-extortion. Shame on her. eBay wouldn't have removed it without cause and no they don't have to tell you that they removed it or hold your hand or explain why. You violated a code of ebay ethics. eBay is not 'emotional', they simply follow the rules. Just seeing that she wrote that she actually noticed (went back to check, apparently holding some sort of psycho-crazy grudge) that the seller's rating went back to 100% (100%!!!! Clearly the seller is a fair seller. come on now... and this petty buyer is the one to blame) the problem lies with this bitter buyer. Who is afraid to even post what she posted for feedback. Move on, and and learn to be a better person and have a happier life! Sheesh!

I legitimately think this person is an employee of Ebay engaged in an internet PR campaign. This is far too biased and dismissive and clearly written ahead of time. They are completely ignoring Steve's point that he DID contact the seller multiple times and that Ebay has been completely unresponsive to his requests.

Also note that they have one post ever and it was just to defend ebay and blame the buyer. This is a company rep.

Beware of people like this, they can ruin discussions like this that keep powerful companies in check. I was wary of a 100% feedback, so I googled around about that and I got this forum. It's been incredibly helpful.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Bascailly my wife no longer buys on Ebay because of similar incidents .They protect the bottomline with power selers and will even violate thweir own polices.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 35,355 times
I am also a victim of eBay's unpublicised policy to protect it's power sellers.

I recently bought a ring for 330 from an eBay trader and wanted to return it. The seller agreed to the return but, instead of offering a FULL refund, as is my right under UK Distance Selling Regulations (DSRs), she said she was going to deduct postage fees. Even after I pointed out that this was against my rights under DSRs and copied paragraphs from the Office of Fair Trading website to prove my point, the seller insisted she was 'within her right' to deduct postage. I complained to Citizens Advice and eBay who both agreed that the seller should NOT deduct postage from the refund. Subsequently, I received my full refund but only because the seller 'did not want to argue' over 7.00 and she still believed she was 'within her rights'.

Once I had received my refund, I left legitimate negative feedback for the seller. Apart from being extremely rude, the seller made it clear that she would continue to deduct postage from refunds as she felt it was 'within her right' to do so and my concern was that other potential buyers, many of whom do not know their rights under DSRs, would continue to be ripped off by this seller. My feedback said:

'Seller tries to deny your right to a full refund under DSRs by deducting postage. Reported.'

Within an hour of leaving this feedback, the seller got eBay to remove it. When I asked eBay why it was removed they said it 'fit their removal criteria' but have not replied to my email asking which specific criteria of removal it fit. The feedback is not defamatory, racist, rude nor does it contain any personal information about the seller. It is factual and a fair representation of my trading experience with this seller.

The only logical explanation for this is that eBay is protecting it's 'power sellers' as they are their main income stream, and not interested in protecting customers. They say their feedback system is designed to 'enable buyers to know which sellers to trust' but this is clearly not the case when legitimate feedback is being removed by favoured sellers at their request. This seller has had her 100% feedback record restored when she clearly is in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. How many other times has she had negative feedback removed?

This is scandalous in my view and affects EVERYONE who uses eBay, both the buyers and legitimate honest sellers as it is clear that you can not rely on the seller's feedback to determine how trustworthy they really are.

Something needs to be done as I'm sure that eBay is breaking their own terms and conditions and responsibility to protect buyers by their own actions. I'm not sure how to take this forward. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe if the OFT receive several complaints of this nature they'll sit up and take notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products