U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,993,505 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry this happened to you. A faulty transaction is hard on both buyers and sellers. A few questions:

1) I am assuming you are in the UK. Was this seller also located in the UK? If it was a US seller, they may not be bound by the UK regulations for international trade.

2) Was the item defective or not-as-described? If you returned it simply because you changed your mind, the seller did not deserve a neg. And they should not have to pay your postage both ways.

3) (Again with international issues) Did you happen to mention customs fees in your reason for return? Buyers are responsible for customs fees and duties, and a neg will be removed if the buyer cites this as a reason for return.

4) Respectfully curious - you got a full refund, why do you want to "take this forward"?

Last edited by NMNan; 05-30-2012 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
My wife gave up o Ebay when a merchant did not have a minium on a item. then she wo the boid but they then said minium not meet. She l;eft a negativer and it was removed also without contact. She basically losss confidence and interest after that;to my joy.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
I'm learning that 100% positive feedback on E-bay isn't always 100% as stated. Didn't know that E-bay protects its power sellers and they have so much influence over E-bay admin.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 AM

5 posts, read 36,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you. A faulty transaction is hard on both buyers and sellers. A few questions:

1) I am assuming you are in the UK. Was this seller also located in the UK? If it was a US seller, they may not be bound by the UK regulations for international trade.

2) Was the item defective or not-as-described? If you returned it simply because you changed your mind, the seller did not deserve a neg. And they should not have to pay your postage both ways.

3) (Again with international issues) Did you happen to mention customs fees in your reason for return? Buyers are responsible for customs fees and duties, and a neg will be removed if the buyer cites this as a reason for return.

4) Respectfully curious - you got a full refund, why do you want to "take this forward"?
Sorry, I have only just seen this reply. I thought I'd receive an email notification if someone replied but I didn't...

Anyway, the seller is based in the UK so the seller is bound by UK Distance Selling Regulations. It does not matter where the buyer is based. According to UK Distance Selling Regulations, buyers are allowed a 7 day cooling off period which LEGALLY entitles them to return goods FOR ANY REASON and receive a FULL refund INCLUDING the original postage charge. So even if the buyer simply changes their mind, they are entitled to this full refund BY LAW. There are only a few exceptions to this such as fresh flowers & made to order goods, but for the item I bought, the law applies. So you are wrong to say that the seller does not have to refund postage both ways if the goods are not defective. She is LEGALLY OBLIGED to refund the ORIGINAL postage if the goods are returned within 7 days even if the customer just changes their mind. THAT IS THE LAW!

Many people - including you obviously, are ignorant of consumer rights under UK Distance Selling Regulations, but as a business owner myself I have researched the customer's rights and my obligations as a merchant carefully. You can be fined by Trading Standards for denying customers their statutory rights. Despite advising this seller that she has to refund the original postage under UK Distance Selling Regulations and sending her the link confirming this from the Office of Fair Trading website, she still insisted that she was 'within her right' not to refund the original postage as she said she would not refund the original postage in her terms and conditions. This is clearly nonsense as businesses have to make sure their terms and conditions comply with the law.

Yes I did receive my refund but only after a lot of arguing back and forth and only because I know my rights as a consumer. But that is not the point. The seller still deserved negative feedback for TRYING to deny me my statutory rights as a consumer and other buyers deserved to be warned. My feedback was an honest reflection of my buying experience with this seller and eBay had no right to remove it. The fact that they did remove it shows that they are NOT concerned at all about buyer protection. The seller's terms and conditions are still illegal and they are now being investigated by Trading Standards.

However, I still have an issue with eBay removing legitimate honest feedback and this is a much wider concern than this one seller. They should be helping to ensure that sellers comply with the law so that buyers are not denied their statutory rights and it's obvious that they are not. My feedback did NOT fit any of their 'removal criteria' which is why they have not been able to reply to my question asking which criteria of removal it fit! They removed it purely to protect one of their power sellers at the expense of protecting buyers. That is why I am taking this forward.

Last edited by Jenolivia; 06-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: correcting spelling mistake

Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post

Regarding your 3rd point, there were no customs fees involved.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:06 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,354,524 times
Wow, I'm glad I'm not a seller in the UK! Allowing buyers to return something, for any reason, even if they just changed their mind? That's a definite hassle. But to also have to return the shipping fees? So you've now lost time and money? Doesn't seem fair at all to the seller.

Back to the original post, I quit eBay as well - several years ago. I had sold a camera and the buyer signed for it electronically, and then reported to PayPal that they never received it. I sent PayPal their electronic signature on the delivery confirmation, thinking that would be the end of it - but instead PayPal ruled in their favor and refunded what they had paid me. I contested it, and got form emails back. In the end I lost my camera and $700 out of my bank account - so no more eBay or PayPal for me - ever again!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Wow, I'm glad I'm not a seller in the UK! Allowing buyers to return something, for any reason, even if they just changed their mind? That's a definite hassle. But to also have to return the shipping fees? So you've now lost time and money? Doesn't seem fair at all to the seller.
I agree. It encourages "renting" from eBay. For instance, say a buyer purchases an expensive business suit. Theoretically they could wear it any time within the 7 days, get their intended use out of it, and then return it for a full refund including shipping both ways.

Jenolivia - are articles of clothing included in this UK regulation?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM

Articles of clothing are included unless it's made to measure. The legislation is EU wide legislation so all European countries comply. The legislation applies to ALL shops/businesses who sell online or by mail order and those registered as businesses on eBay, not private sellers. And it only applies to 'Buy It Now' items, not those bought at auction.

Most people are honest and I think it's bogus to suggest that it 'encourages renting' from eBay. As a business person myself I get very few people returning the items I sell. If people are concerned that they will 'lose out' as a result of returns, then maybe they ought to look at the quality of the merchandise they are selling. At the end of the day, the reason for the legislation is because the whole nature of buying something on the internet means that you are not able to inspect the quality of the item for yourself until you physically receive it. Photos and even descriptions can be misleading and something may turn out to be flimsier or even a totally different colour from what you expected. So customers should have the statutory right to returns within a limited period (and 7 days is a very limited period) and any sellers who are not willing to comply with distance selling legislation shouldn't sell their products in this manner and set up shop on the high street instead.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Interesting. Thank you for your answer

Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM

721 posts, read 2,696,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't think we're getting the whole story here.

eBay policies and practices are strongly skewed in favor of the buyers - just ask any of the regular sellers, or anybody with an eBay store. If they took down your feedback, you can be sure that there was a good reason for it.

Why don't you post what you wrote, so we can see what all the hubbub was about?
You are right, ebay heavily favors the buyer. There is also only a small number of reasons ebay will allow feedback to be removed they are very strict abuot this.

I recently sld a motorcycle. Guy never made deposit within 24 hours and then when I open a claim on him he says he met me and i brought a diff motorcycle than shown. Ebay ws able to see this guy never made deposit and never responded to my contacting him and it was till like pulling teeth to get feedback removed.

This poster also seems super hesitant to provide any details. What' sthe point of posting if your not going to tell s the siutaiton? Something seems fishy with the poster shes difficult on here so imagine she was unreasonable on ebay as well and that's why feedback was removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products