Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM

110 posts, read 777,636 times

Advertisements

I buy ALL of my books, DVDs and CDs from Amazon. They are always cheaper than the retail stores, I don't have to pay sales tax (which is over 8% where I live), and I make sure that I meet the $25 minimum order to qualify for free shipping.

Anytime I'm in the market for a small appliance (kitchen, cleaning, etc) or tool of any kind, I check Amazon and at least 3/4 of the time I'm able to order it from them for less than any store or other site (with free shipping and no sales tax).

I've ordered bulbs and plants by mail, and now online from the same merchants, for years and years with no problems.

When I'm looking for out of print books I order from sellers through AbeBooks. Again, never a problem.

I have a separate credit card that I use only for online purchases and nothing else, to make it easy to spot any suspicious charges (knock wood).

I've used eBay much more often to sell than to buy, but I've been lucky so far with whatever things I have bought. I do pay a lot of attention to a seller's feedback and won't order from anyone whose listing or feedback makes me feel less than 100% confident in their integrity (and I pay with my credit card in case I ever end up needing to file a complaint for non-delivery or whatever).

Online buying can be a great resource but you have to use common sense regarding who or what company you buy from (always remember If it's too good to be true, yadda yadda...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Default I hope it came with a warranty that allows a return...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am expecting the delivery of my Temper-pedic King size bed any day now. I ordered it online and they gave me two free pillows AND free delivery and set up.

I have been sleeping in the guest room on a VERY uncomfortable twin bed...I am dying to get back in my own room.
We had one just like you are ordering. We kept it longer than the 90 day return warranty. That warranty was given by BedMart. We had to get rid of it because my wife coudn't sleep on it. She thought that it was too hard. What we didn't know is that the room temperature determines the degree of softness from that Visco Elastic. When it was delivered it was warm out. One of the delivery men took his fist and slammed it a good one when it was set up. He remarked that if he did that during cold weather he could really damage his fist. What happened is that we were not willing to keep it very warm in the house and it just didn't work out. You might think that your body heat will create a soft area...it does, but as soon as you move you have to start all over again. It takes time to form that heat pocket again. I can imagine that others love it, but not us. We both have bad backs...I have had three back surgeries and that is why we bought it. We donated it to a local charity and were able to take some of the expense off on our taxes. We then bought a pillow-top mattress that is 14 inches thick and it has worked out well.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I buy almost everything online.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
I purchase online, but I have had some problems. Someone had stolen my bank debit card number and charged things with it. I noticed the charges when I went over my statement. The bank took care of the charges and gave me a new card.

I switched to using a credit card and that card number was stolen. After being replaced, the next card was stolen. I just got a replacement two days ago. I was really surprised because the credit card uses virtual numbers for online purchases. I didn't realize that anything was wrong; no odd charges on my card, but the credit card company contacted me and said that someone had attempted to use the numbers. So far I have been protected and have not lost any money.

My bank is offering online banking, but I am afraid to use it. I just read about a case in Florida where an online bank account was hacked and the person lost $90,000. The bank refused to cover the loss because they said that his account was hacked, but not through the online bank account. He is suing.

I don't understand why I have had these problems. I follow all the rules and buy from big name companies that also have brick and mortor stores. I watch for that padlock symbol that is supposed to show that the site is secure. I don't know why this is happening. I could understand it if I was buying from some fly by night business or Ebay, but I don't.

Not very long ago I was bragging about my virtual number card and how I felt protected. I am NOT bragging anymore!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I love shopping online because I hate shopping. I buy all of our groceries online. I also buy my cosmetics and hair products online. From time to time, I buy shoes and clothing online as well. When I buy electronics, I buy them from Circuit City because they pack your order and all I have to do is run into the store and pick it up, since it's prepaid. I avoid shopping in stores as much as I can.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,108 times
I hate shopping so do almost all of my shopping online....

O.Nana

Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,453 times
I love shopping online. I use an online mall that links to hundreds of major stores like Target, Sears, Kohl's, Best Buy and Macy's just to name a few. Online shopping saves the comany a lot by not paying for a cashier, janitors, Insurance and Shoplifting Losses.
I found a place that gives me a rebate on everything I buy from 1,000+ stores and I never have to fill out a claim form it's automatic. It's only fair they should pass the savings on to me. There's a link in my profile if you are interested.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,453 times
I use a pre-paid visa debit card when I shop online so I never worry about someone stealing my account. I just put money on it when I want to use it. I also use it for revolving monthly charges like the Gym that way if I don't have money in my account I don't get an NSF fee.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM

305 posts, read 798,297 times
man, i usually buy everything online! i usually find better deals with online coupons codes, etc..

Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I buy Lee Rider jeans on line because most stores do not have my size (four) or if they do , they only come in teen-ager low rise styles and I like the regular waist (for us old people, I guess) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products