Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times

Advertisements

You know how you get discounts on some things as a perk from a job, well I left the job a while back but I'm still using a discount on something (don't want to say what). Has anyone else ever done this? I don't have a job so the discount is helping me, but I don't know if the company will ever check. It may not be a big deal to them because maybe my previous employer makes up the difference. How do you all feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
As long as your paying them they most like don't care as it is a promotion to get groups sales most likely and your company is paying nothing.If on company sales or products they will catchup most likely.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I don't know. If you are asking the question, you probably already know the answer........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
We get discounts for a whole variety of services through the company I work for.....such as cell phone providers. If I were no longer employed with them, I would continue paying the current fee until the end of the contract....then I would sign up for regular price. I would not use the other available discounts for getting my hair cut or whatever if I left the job.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times
Thank you, that makes sense. Just wondered how other people dealt with this kind of thing.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,906,106 times
I still use the discount on my cell provider that was for the company I left 5 years ago! My new company has the same discount, and I even tried to cutover to it, but the cell provider never made the switch. So, i just leave it the way it is. I feel okay with that decision since I tried to make it right.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,867,365 times
The OP question comes down to a point of “what do you personally feel is the right thing to do?” when you no longer are working for the company. This tends to allow our personal conscience to deal with the issue. If you feel you don’t deserve the discount, then stop using it.

On a legal aspect when you first started using the discount was there an agreement made with the retailer that it only could only be used while that company employed you?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I'm getting a discount now on something that I'm not sure I should be getting. The business has an online site set up for you to enter your email into (from a school or business) to see if you qualify. Curious, I entered my school email address and it came up with an 18% corporate discount for a company I don't work for. Either it's just coming up with the wrong company name or it's flat out wrong. Either way I don't feel bad since I just followed the instructions.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
I used to work for an insurance company and enjoyed my employee discount on my insurance for years after I left that company. As long as you kept the original policy, you were still entitled to the discount. Big deal!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
My thought is that discounts thwart the whole concept of fair play and skew the marketplace. The most egregious examples are in the health"care" industry, where an a provider will accept terms from an insurance company to pay $20 for a test, but that same test would be charged out to an individual at $100.

Another example is "senior" and "child" pricing at movie theatres. Being a certain age is no indicator of how much value a movie has. That "discount" is a marketing ploy that places a burden on the people buying full-price tickets. At flat pricing, overall prices could be 10% to 20% less, but the market now has institutionalized the price structure.

Overall and in general, discounts are often really a reduction to the core price that a company can make a small but reasonable profit. The un-discounted price is a "what the market will bear" price. As long as I'm not breaking any law, I'll take any discount I can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products