U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 PM

426 posts, read 1,165,049 times

Advertisements

Also do not buy the sleep number. That was a real waste. We had that one for about five years. We wound up buying a dual comfort, one side firm and one side plush. I don't know what we were thinking, it is no better than the sleep number.One side higher and the plush side is sinking , what will it be like in a year?
The salesmen we were dealing with told us that they no longer sell mattresses that you can flip. He said it was no longer allowed becasue of fires. Is this true or was he BSing? We live in Michigan, don't know if it may be a state thing
The manager was a real jerk when we went back unsatisfied.He was very rude and acted like he wanted us to leave.The place we bought it at did not lose a nickel I am sure. I can imagine what the mark up on it was.
We also had to pay $79 to have the second one delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,674,596 times
I was also told they now make mattresses that don't need to be flipped.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

208 posts, read 372,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Pillow top mattresses are a bad deal from the get go. The pillow starts to compress very quickly then just gives up leaving the mattress hard and uncomfortable.
You are so right.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,977,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
City Furniture is a major retailer at least in South Florida. Will a Latex Topper work on a pillow top? Maybe I can flip it around on the hard part.

Oh, yes, a pillow top NEVER again. We can exchange it but we have to pay an additional $200.

ETA - Oh, man. The Natural latex topper cost more than my bed!
Natural Latex / Rubber Mattress Topper
Nah, you picked a site that wants to much for a topper. A good latex topper can be had for less. Plushbeds – Best Natural Talay Latex Mattress Topper Pads with Coupon Sale Prices

If you buy a latex topper be aware that you are making an investment that could last 15>25 years for you on more than on mattress. Google to find a better price.

As to your mattress.......
Bite the bullet and return it if you can. Your sleep is just to damn important to your overall health to quibble over money. Never ,ever cheap it on your bedding............

Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM

746 posts, read 3,206,204 times
Mattress buying remains a complicated and infuriating task. Only with the benefit of hindsight did I conclude that focusing on price is not the way to do it. Over the decades I have purchased five or six mattress sets, for myself and for a guest room, and only that way did I discover that anything under $400 is not going to last very long, and spending $1,000 does not guarantee a good night's sleep.

And pillowtops are at the bottom of my list. They quickly become problematic.

I did spend just under a grand for my current setup - also a Sealy, a queensize bought in 2004. It is 15" thick and the most comfortable mattress I have ever owned. And after more than five years of use, it is as comfortable as it was the day I bought it. And I am no lightweight. Try 300 pounds.

I purchased it from a local retailer who has been in business for more than a half century. That's a pretty good sign that they want people happy.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

9,409 posts, read 18,232,631 times
Keep in mind, your bodies muscle memory comes into play here as well. After years of sleeping on your old mattress your body has gotten accustomed to that mattress. With a new mattress there is usually a week or two where your body needs to adjust. Not sure what to tell you about the dip or sagging in the mattress.

Curious, why did you buy a firm mattress? Maybe you need something a little softer?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 AM

5,893 posts, read 11,524,463 times
Is it possible to put a natural latex topper on top of a pillowtop mattress? I have pretty deep pocket sheets but wonder if they will still fit.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,977,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Is it possible to put a natural latex topper on top of a pillowtop mattress? I have pretty deep pocket sheets but wonder if they will still fit.
Yes, It's possible but NOT recommended since the pillow top isn't a solid enough base to support a latex topper. Sorry.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
Would it be possible to remove the pillow top without destroying the mattress and replace it with a latex topper?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,986,009 times
This might be a stupid question, but what about the flip side of a pillow top? Can you turn it over and put something like that down? Or is it only designed 'right-side-up'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products