U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,574,033 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a firm Sealy pillowtop mattress. My back felt great the first two weeks and I slept great. Now I am waking up soar and my sleep has suffered because I am tossing and turning all night. It feels like the bed has dips especially where my behind tends to be. My daughter sleeps next to me and she is small so she has had no effect on the bed. I slept on her side and it felt like the day I bought it; it felt firm and my back felt great.

So is it normal for beds to have dips in it after only two weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM

1,975 posts, read 3,326,150 times
Is there a warranty on the mattress? Maybe you can have it replaced. Our mattress is a Simmons and it's 12 yrs. old and I'm just now noticing some pain when I get up. There are no dips in it that I can tell. Of course my pain might be cause I'm 12 years older. Mine is also a pillow top. I would check out your warranty.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 AM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times
A mattress should give you more then a few years of service. If it’s that new (2 weeks) you need to contact the store you purchased it from and advice them of the issue. Let them see what they are willing to do. You’re purchase should have a warranty and even without one, I would think that you have a reasonable time (30, 60, 90) days to make a claim.

On a side note: I’ve noticed in my area that there are many people who are selling mattresses said to be “new” and wrapped in plastic. These are “reconditioned” and appear to be new looking on the outside. Buyer beware! These are used items that have a new fabric on the outside. They have health issues, may contain bed bugs, and should never be thought to have same warranty that a new mattress has. Reputable stores will back their products and services, private yard sales will not.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM

426 posts, read 1,164,876 times
Default Mattress

I just bought a mattress myself about two months ago. I did not like it after the first night, I figured I would return it as soon as possible, as it had a 20 year warranty, well I guess not liking it was not a warranty issue.
I wound up paying an additional $200 to get another one. Try claiming a warranty issue, good luck. I have read all kinds of bad reviews on mattress warranties. I hope they replace yours without a charge. I will never again by a mattress without really testing it, but I don't know how possible that is without actually sleeping on it for awhile. That is how they get you.
The mattress we replaced it with is even worse. So now I am stuck with something I hate and I wake up every day tired.Since I already had a problem with this place, I seriouslly doubt the stotre will honor their warranty.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,973,471 times
Pillow top mattresses are a bad deal from the get go. The pillow starts to compress very quickly then just gives up leaving the mattress hard and uncomfortable.

It is better by far to buy a mattress of your choice then add a natural latex topper to it. Natural latex (NOT that man made crap!) will make your bed comfy beyond words and last and last and last.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

I will look into the the natural latex topper.

Okay, I purchased the mattress from City Furniture and come to think of it now I understand why the rep smirked when I turned down the warranty the store offered. He had this look like I would regret it and I should have walked away without purchasing anything. He did mention I would not have to pay for a "tech" to come out and "fix" the bed but I would have to pay for a Sealy tech. I didn't know that beds required technicians. Anyway, it sounded so ridiculous that I declined it.

I will call right now. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:06 PM

5,032 posts, read 14,670,716 times
I bought a queen, 100% natural talalay latex mattress set three weeks ago and I love it. I didn't want a spring mattress as those can cause pressure points at the shoulder, hip and knee.

Something to consider is whether or not your spine in aligned correctly. Perhaps a new pillow might help.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,973,471 times
Lesson #1: NEVER buy a mattress from anyone but a major retailer such as J. C. Penney , Sears or some other "Name" brand department store. This is the only way to ensure that you will receive fair teatment in case of a problem.

Lesson#2: NEVER buy a pillow top mattress anywhere. Instead buy the mattress of your choice and then add at least a 2" thick LATEX RUBBER TOPPER to give a cloud like sleep.

For inner spring mattress's the coil count and gage of the wire used to make the coils will determine how supportive the mattress will be and how long it will last. Adjust the coil count to suit your weight and comfort level during your selection process when you buy a mattress. IF you ever ask for coil count and wire gage and don't get an answer then buy somewhere else.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980923d.cfm

As to "memory foam" manmade mattress or some other type of bedding..........forgetaboutit!

It's quality inner spring, 100% pure latex or nothing unless you have money to waste.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 03-08-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post

Something to consider is whether or not your spine in aligned correctly. Perhaps a new pillow might help.
I don't know why but I can't sleep with a pillow. I heard about the Four Season's pillows being good. We have a Four Season's mattress that is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept in and we have had it for 10 years. I might just switch the two.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Lesson #1: NEVER buy a mattress from anyone but a major retailer such as J. C. Penney , Sears or some other "Name" brand department store. This is the only way to ensure that you will receive fair teatment in case of a problem.

Lesson#2: NEVER buy a pillow top mattress anywhere. Instead buy the mattress of your choice and then add at least a 2" thick LATEX RUBBER TOPPER to give a cloud like sleep.

For inner spring mattress's the coil count and gage of the wire used to make the coils will determine how supportive the mattress will be and how long it will last. Adjust the coil count to suit your weight and comfort level during your selection process when you buy a mattress. IF you ever ask for coil count and wire gage and don't get an answer then buy somewhere else.

Buying a Mattress

As to "memory foam" manmade mattress or some other type of bedding..........forgetaboutit!

It's quality inner spring, 100% pure latex or nothing unless you have money to waste.
City Furniture is a major retailer at least in South Florida. Will a Latex Topper work on a pillow top? Maybe I can flip it around on the hard part.

Oh, yes, a pillow top NEVER again. We can exchange it but we have to pay an additional $200.

ETA - Oh, man. The Natural latex topper cost more than my bed!
http://www.rawganique.com/Bed/natura...ess-topper.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products