U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times

Advertisements

Purchases that don’t / didn’t work out. In many cases the sooner you return to or contact the retailer or manufacture about a product issue the better the outcome in your favor. In most cases when you buy things you have legal rights. Some of these legal rights are extended to customers within a 30, 60 or 90 day period of time so acting quickly is important. Not everything sold is under warranty and even items that are warranted buyers have rights to return items that are not covered in a written warranty.

Many retail stores will except returns whether the item has been used or not because they want to keep customers as happy repeat customers. Reasonable returns because you found that the item isn’t working as well for you as you hoped could be returned for a refund, store credit or an exchange. Be reasonable!

In some cases you may have to write to the corporate office to help make a refund happen. In other cases, you might be able to contact the store manager. Be polite and reasonable. Store policy can be flexible and in your favor if you are able to provide a good reason for the return.

You may also have a right to dispute a purchase with the credit card company who will (at times) act in your behalf with the company. I have made credit card disputes and had positive outcomes. Thus I always use credit cards for purchases instead of bank debit cards. Retail companies don’t want to fight with the credit card company in a dispute.

All this being said, the best thing you can do is to protect yourself before you make that purchase. Ask what the return policy is should you reconsider your purchase. Keep receipts, warranty papers, and any record of payment. Act quickly, be polite, contact the retail corporation office customer relations executive if issues can’t be corrected at the store managers level.

I make repeat shopping at stores that honor customers with returns, exchanges, or refunds because these are the stores that I respect and want to stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times
Thumbs up return move then a year old ~ flexable return policy ~ be polite!

I made a purchased a paint sprayer (commercial type) that was being “resold” in the hardware store. The item was marked “refurbished” and “inspected” by a repair service. Apparently the original customer had issues with the paint sprayer.

When I bought the item, I knew that I wouldn’t use it right away and that it would be later on that I could benefit from this item. It was marked down in price and made it a good buy and I’m not one who passes on a good deal.

Time passed, and when the time came to paint the outside of the house, I wasn’t able to do so. A painting contractor was used to do the painting. After the painting was done, the sprayer that I bought was still in the garage wrapped in plastic to protect it from dust. I found the original paperwork, receipts, and sales information that came with the sprayer over a year before.

I revisited the hardware store and talked with the returns clerk. They didn’t want to take the unit back because of the date of purchase. After a short period of time, I spoke with the store manager who also indicated that the sale was over a year old and that store policy just wouldn’t allow the return.

I went home with the sprayer, had coffee, and decided that I’d visit the “other” hardware store and see if they would accept the sprayer. I spoke with the manager who told me the same things that I’d already heard. I made the point that they seem to always have “reconditioned sprayer” being resold in their department. This unit had never been used by me, and it was in near perfect condition, with all of the original paperwork, I indicated that they could resale the unit much easier then I could and that I was willing to accept a store credit for the original purchase price, but I simply just couldn’t use the sprayer. I was polite, I presented all of the documents and I provided a reasonable argument as to why they should take the unit back.

It worked; I managed to get a full refund on an item more then a year older. I also noticed that they resold the unit within a week to another customer who was very happy to get the unit, which was part of my argument for them to accept the sprayer back. They made two customers happy by taking a return and being flexible with policy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products