U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I wouldn't bother writing the company, if it's a big chain....they couldn't care less. And if they get a chance to screw that helpful employee, they'll jump on it.

Whenever a customer service person really goes out of his or her way to help me....I slip 'em a 20.
That is such a jaded attitude! And an easy way out! And it doesn't it help the employee come review time.

T. Kramer - I realize this was long ago, but for future reference - you, Car 54, and anyone else: don't talk to corporate HR - which, I assume, is where car 54 is coming from. Instead, find out the name of the store manager by calling the store. Say "I talked to Holly the other day and she was a lot of help. I'd like to bring that to the attention of the department manager - who is that?"

The store will be more than happy to help you. They'll be thrilled that you're praising the employee to the person's boss. The boss will be thrilled.

Why? Because people are quick to find fault and complain about someone, but slow to praise. Car 54, your $20 is great for the employee's pocket, but come review time, that doesn't help them. It doesn't go in their file. It doesn't carry with them in the glow of recognition to their boss. No one know they were helpful except for you...and them. And that's not enough.

It's nice to slip them a $20, but you're not doing them any favors. If you're so savvy on this forum, then you have retail background - either in management or as an employee - and you should be able to provide better advice on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,929,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee6 View Post
That is such a jaded attitude! And an easy way out! And it doesn't it help the employee come review time.

T. Kramer - I realize this was long ago, but for future reference - you, Car 54, and anyone else: don't talk to corporate HR - which, I assume, is where car 54 is coming from. Instead, find out the name of the store manager by calling the store. Say "I talked to Holly the other day and she was a lot of help. I'd like to bring that to the attention of the department manager - who is that?"

The store will be more than happy to help you. They'll be thrilled that you're praising the employee to the person's boss. The boss will be thrilled.

Why? Because people are quick to find fault and complain about someone, but slow to praise. Car 54, your $20 is great for the employee's pocket, but come review time, that doesn't help them. It doesn't go in their file. It doesn't carry with them in the glow of recognition to their boss. No one know they were helpful except for you...and them. And that's not enough.

It's nice to slip them a $20, but you're not doing them any favors. If you're so savvy on this forum, then you have retail background - either in management or as an employee - and you should be able to provide better advice on this topic.
You are so right about the complaints vs compliments from customers. I, personally, get a lot of compliments from my customers but it doesn't go any further than me. Once in a while a customer will speak to one of my supervisors but I don't know where, or if, it goes any further. But lord help me if someone doesn't like something I did. Everybody and God will hear about it.

Taking a $20 'tip' could get an employee fired too. If anyone happened to see and report it. I know it would where I work.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,929,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Taking a $20 'tip' could get an employee fired too. If anyone happened to see and report it. I know it would where I work.
Yeah, when I worked retail I would have never accepted a $20 tip. Might have payed for 2-3 lunches, but not worth getting fired over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products