U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,849,386 times

Advertisements

You know, I have some GOOD things to say about my experiences in a store...but almost none of the employees are identifiable to me because few of them wear a name tag or other identifying information. The one guy did...and I'm going to mention him. But I had to ask for the names of a few people the other day, and I'm probably going to get the one guy's name wrong. It sounded like she said that his name was Makhto, Mahktor, something like that. I have no idea how to spell it. I was thinking Afghani, Pakistani, Turkish...something of that area. Another person told me it sounded Polynesian to them (Pacific Islands). Either way, I'm sending in the notice to the company because I liked something they did for me, and I'm probably getting that name wrong.

Isn't it the norm for customer service people to wear some sort of nametag, or have a nameplate on their desk (for those cases)? Dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM

677 posts, read 1,455,674 times
Coming from a customer service background, I know that in most stores employees are supposed to wear nametags at all times. Unfortunately, people can be lazy or forgetful. I used to work at Target and my co-workers would sometimes take a fake nametag out of a bin that we had in back and wear it around all day - Ex. a guy named Alex would wear a nametag that says Patricia or something like that. I think that it comes down to employees simply not caring, which is a shame in a situation like this where it really would have helped them to have remembered it.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM

I worked in retail for years. Still do--I just don't really have customer interactions; most of my work happens when the store is closed. Sometimes, wearing an actual nametag gets in the way, or they break or whatever. I understand that. But it's still customary. Not wearing it prevents you from getting any negative feedback, but it also keeps you from getting any positive feedback. Some people wouldn't have made the effort to find out.

As a matter of fact, when I asked her what her name was--she might have thought it was an unsubtle way for me to hit on her, when that wasn't my intent at all!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,984,270 times
Sometimes there will be a cashier name printed on your receipt from larger stores.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 9,027,674 times
Sometimes in a more expensive store the cashier asks who helped you with your purchase?

Well, how do I know...I'll just look & point randomly so someone can make their sales quota..

Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM

660 posts, read 1,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Sometimes in a more expensive store the cashier asks who helped you with your purchase?

Well, how do I know...I'll just look & point randomly so someone can make their sales quota..
Which brings up a whole 'nuther problem (service expecting the customer to do the work) that I won't touch in this thread.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM

321 posts, read 953,008 times
Back in the day when I worked retail as a part-time extra job, our nametag was part of the requirement. Also, we had Secret Shoppers that would evaluate the store and our interactions, and that was one specific thing they looked for (we got points off if we didn't have it on). If you had a number of bad/low shops, you could be let go.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM

660 posts, read 1,372,399 times
I think the whole secret shopper thing is a cop out for bad employers. If an employer is that good to work for (pay is decent, work environment is pleasant, standards are high), then secret shoppers aren't necessary. In my experience these reports only generate more tension, and tell management what they should have already known.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,040,051 times
I wouldn't bother writing the company, if it's a big chain....they couldn't care less. And if they get a chance to screw that helpful employee, they'll jump on it.

Whenever a customer service person really goes out of his or her way to help me....I slip 'em a 20.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Well, that sounds like a good idea...I gave an approximation of the physical address of the store, but when I did the "Store Locator" thing, it did not find it. And it's not that new of a store! Maybe the whole place is operating undercover :-)

I had a cooler bag, and the zipper broke on me, so I thought I'd ask if they sold them there at that store. She said she would check--but I didn't have time that day. She followed up on it and asked me twice more if I had gotten around to getting a new one yet--over the course of a few weeks. That's following up...and remembering a customer. So, in one way, it's not a big deal--because you'd expect to get good service like that--but you usually don't.--so then it IS a big deal. I've gotten good customer reviews when I worked days, so I figured it was time to return the favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products