U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,574,033 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a Mary Kay "party" and I ended up ordering a few items. As I was rushing out the door (my baby girl was crying) I heard a lady ask if she bought today would she get the item today and the answer was yes. I figured I could just get my stuff later since I see these women twice a week.

This was on a Sunday and that night my account was charged. So I waited until Tuesday to ask about my items. I Facebooked the saleswoman and she replied "Oh, you can pick them up at my daughter's house today." Nope. The items were not dropped off.

Finally, today (Friday) the saleswoman sent me message saying how horrible she felt about not having the items at her daughter's house. "Can you pick them up on Sunday?" she wrote in a message. So I requested a refund. She never responded to my request but her daughter called me about 1 hour later and said she would drop them off tonight.

So, my questions are these:

Should I have waited longer? I am not sure how these independent sales people work.
Should she have tried to drop the items off to me instead of having me pick them up?

I am just a little uncomfortable about the whole thing because I like her daughter who I met through a mommy & me group. However, I am starting to feel like the saleswoman was trying to take advantage of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
I've ordered both Avon and Mary Kay from independent dealers. Sometimes the orders get backed up....but usually you always get your stuff without any problems. If you did have any problems, they know you can report them to the companies main site. Some dealers charge before they get the order and some charge when they deliver. I wouldn't have worried about it unless 3 weeks had gone by.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,574,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I've ordered both Avon and Mary Kay from independent dealers. Sometimes the orders get backed up....but usually you always get your stuff without any problems. If you did have any problems, they know you can report them to the companies main site. Some dealers charge before they get the order and some charge when they deliver. I wouldn't have worried about it unless 3 weeks had gone by.
3 weeks!!!! I can understand if something was on back order but she should have told me because she would have known about this. I would only wait 3 weeks "just because" if it was a very close relative of mine.

The thing is she said she had all of the items and that she was going to drop them off days ago so I could pick them up. She didn't need to order any.

Any way, it is done. Lets see if her daughter stops inviting me over.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,513,335 times
My friend sells Mary Kay and she always has items in stock and drops them off. It is never your responsibility to pick up the items. If the MK rep did not have them, then she has a director who probably has a "store" in her home. IMO, if you like MK products, then find your own rep who will not be taking your business for granted (that's what it sounds like to me).

Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,054,652 times
With Avon I paid when my saleslady dropped off my order.
For a short time I sold Avon and it was the same...
Haven't ordered in a while so I'm not sure about how it's set up now,
but I wouldn't want to pay before receiving the order.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:05 PM

15,893 posts, read 15,532,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I was invited to a Mary Kay "party" and I ended up ordering a few items. As I was rushing out the door (my baby girl was crying) I heard a lady ask if she bought today would she get the item today and the answer was yes. I figured I could just get my stuff later since I see these women twice a week.

This was on a Sunday and that night my account was charged. So I waited until Tuesday to ask about my items. I Facebooked the saleswoman and she replied "Oh, you can pick them up at my daughter's house today." Nope. The items were not dropped off.

Finally, today (Friday) the saleswoman sent me message saying how horrible she felt about not having the items at her daughter's house. "Can you pick them up on Sunday?" she wrote in a message. So I requested a refund. She never responded to my request but her daughter called me about 1 hour later and said she would drop them off tonight.

So, my questions are these:

Should I have waited longer? I am not sure how these independent sales people work.
Should she have tried to drop the items off to me instead of having me pick them up?

I am just a little uncomfortable about the whole thing because I like her daughter who I met through a mommy & me group. However, I am starting to feel like the saleswoman was trying to take advantage of me.
You did exactly the right thing. After an uncalled for wait she expected you to pick the stuff up. NO WAY! I've never dealt with an Avon person who expects me to pick the product up.

My suggestion is to never do business with her again. Hopefully you won't have the issue addressed by the daughter. If she mentions it and asks what you will be ordering next from her mother I would simply say whatever comes to mind like...."I'm not interested in buying any more Avon" or "I'm all stocked up for now."

What the dealer fails to recognize is that she has lost a potentially good customer and it is all her fault because her product service to you was terrible.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,973,471 times
My wife has sold Avon for 35 years and it's never been Avon's policy to pay for any goods until they were delivered to the customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products