U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,762,636 times

Advertisements

I try to prevent this before I get to check out. (I'm anal)
I try to load my stuff in order of putting away at home. Cold together, bread ect., kind of takes away from the details of bagging and I don't come home with squished bread!!!
I too, have heard of "bagging training", years ago when I once worked for a major grocery store in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,934,053 times
I'm with Qbaby. I separate my stuff as I put it on that belt thingy. IF there is a bagger there, I watch them carefully. The older guys are better (guess they've been taught by "someone"). The young kids......I do it myself.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,626,500 times
Most of the grocery stores around here don't have baggers, you bag it yourself. I prefer that. If you need assistance they will help. Some of the upscale grocery stores have baggers but they have a lot of training on how to pack the bags.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,176,530 times
I'm with qbaby and vpcats. I put the stuff on the belt in groups. I also bag my own. It's funny how when they say "paper or plastic" I say "thanks but I will bag". This seems to be a forgien concept. I get 3 or 4 folks coming up to me saying I will bag. I just say "thanks I prefer bagging" Well expept if Felix is working he is an older gentleman who insists on bagging my stuff, but he bags the same way I do. lol I guess they must know me by now because when I start bagging they say "uh oh watch out, here come Felix" So now we joke that we are on "felix watch"

One thing that just gives me the "willies" baggers that lick their fingers to open the bags. ewwww

karla

Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 AM

32,835 posts, read 60,929,453 times
Argh, bag-happy store clerks make me want to go boom! Like the last thing I need in my house is more grocery bags ...

I bring my own bags -- quite sizeable canvas tote bags -- and they still put one or two items in each bag. So I've learned, as I hand them the bags, to say "These bags hold a lot (big smile); stuff them as full as you can, please."

Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,934,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Argh, bag-happy store clerks make me want to go boom! Like the last thing I need in my house is more grocery bags ...

I bring my own bags -- quite sizeable canvas tote bags -- and they still put one or two items in each bag. So I've learned, as I hand them the bags, to say "These bags hold a lot (big smile); stuff them as full as you can, please."
I will take the plastic supermarket bags (publix or Winn Dixie here).
They are just the right size for my little garbage wire thingy that's screwed to the inside of the cabinet door and they are good for collecting cat litter clumps!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 PM

32,835 posts, read 60,929,453 times
vpcats, I tried that with the fiance (he takes care of the cats' boxes), but he insists on using a full-size tall kitchen bag. Oy ... Although I don't think that exasperates me enough to take over the job myself!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM

4,607 posts, read 7,043,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I will take the plastic supermarket bags (publix or Winn Dixie here).
They are just the right size for my little garbage wire thingy that's screwed to the inside of the cabinet door and they are good for collecting cat litter clumps!
Totally love them for the cat litter debris, perfect size,

Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,263,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm not sure about other places, but in CA the baggers who work in grocery stores go to bagging school. I have never had any complaints about the way my items were bagged until I moved out of state. In the state I moved to (and since have moved from) they would never put wine into a special brown bag to protect it from the other items. They had no idea about not putting your loaf of bread under a bunch of canned goods. The thing that really irked me (I never said anything though, because I didn't want to be rude) was that even after I had finished paying and was ready to leave, they were STILL bagging my stuff! I wasn't used to that. I've never had to wait for my groceries to be bagged. It's usually the other way around - the groceries are bagged and I'm finishing up the payment transaction.
I'm from California....and I remember hearing that you had to start at the bottom in a grocery store in California (like Ralphs for instance) before you could be a CASHIER!!. Doesn't surprise me they would have bagging school!! lol I don't remember having problems with the way things were bagged until I moved to Texas. It's really very interesting isn't it.

I agree with you on the end of the transaction too. I mentioned the exact same thing thing to my husband one day. That was one thing that was hard for me to used to in Texas ...the laid back attitude "It'll get done when it gets done". In Cali everything is "rush rush rush"

Disclaimer:
I'm not bashing Texas...just making observations.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,520,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most of the grocery stores around here don't have baggers, you bag it yourself. I prefer that. If you need assistance they will help. Some of the upscale grocery stores have baggers but they have a lot of training on how to pack the bags.
AMEN, Golf Gal! We have a local upscale market here in the Dayton, OH area (Dorothy Lane Market) Their baggers are either the best the local high schools offer or retired guys who are very good at it. We love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products