Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM

17 posts, read 88,723 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used to Craig's List before to sell items. I have never sold anything on there before and have heard mixed reactions. If it is a cash transaction face-to-face it should be safe right? I'm selling tickets that cost a decent amt of money and am a little wary of meeting a stranger for that large of a money transaction. Thoughts? And thank you for any feedback!!

Last edited by staylor; 06-13-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
There are scammers and dishonest people everywhere. Still, I'd meet whoever buys the tickets in a public place, and take someone with you.

I've sold household items on Craigslist and haven't had a problem. Not for that amount of money, though. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times
First, if you're wary, meet in a public place...have a burger somewhere!

Secondly, I have sold stuff on Craig's list and my daughter has bought and sold. No problems at all. My concern would be someone showing up after I promised it to them. Make sure you have a backup sale if the first one doesn't happen for some reason.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 88,723 times
Yeah - the guy is supposed to be flying into the area and staying at a hotel. I told him I'd meet him in the lobby but he said he'd call me when he gets in to confirm everything... figure I'll bring my boyfriend with and a hotel lobby should be safe. I actually had someone say something to me about worrying if it's conterfeit money???

Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times
Maybe you could find one of those counterfeit money detector pens! They use them in stores instead of holding the bills up to the light to detect certain features. I have no idea where you'd find one -- maybe an office supply store?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
I love Craigslist, but I know there are scammers on there. They're everywhere. But I think on the whole it's a good place to do business.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
whatever you do, don't invite them to your home. A paraplegic gentleman here in Southern California did just that - the guy came back later with his "friends" and beat the guy up and stole his computer equipment. It was really all he had, and the only way he could communicate with the outside world. Never trust nobody you meet online to let them know where you live.

I agree with the earlier post - meet in a neutral place to exchange goods for funds. You can avoid counterfeit money by asking for small bills. Most counterfeit money is $100, not tens and twenties. That pen is a good idea too.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
I buy something from CraigsList every 2 weeks in Alaska. Usually I meet them in a public parking lot. I pay cash on the spot if I like the item (ivory or artwork). Most recently I bought some items through the mail, but still in state. I'll know if I got burned or not here shortly. But so far...nothing but good to say for Craigslist in Alaska.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I had very good experiences with Craigslist in Colorado.
But we had kind of a strange experience with the Craigslist ride share here in northern Florida. Where we used to live, in the northwest side of the Panhandle, was very hard to get to--not even Greyhound. My older son was flying into Orlando from Europe. We figured out a ride with someone on Craigslist who was driving from Orlando to New Orleans. My kid and another guy who was riding with the driver got out at Gainesville, apparently the guy was a terrible driver and just kind of gave off bad vibes.
My husband ended up picking the kid up at Greyhound in Tallahassee at 2am.
It's not Craigslist's fault. It's just the way of the world.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
whatever you do, don't invite them to your home. A paraplegic gentleman here in Southern California did just that - the guy came back later with his "friends" and beat the guy up and stole his computer equipment. It was really all he had, and the only way he could communicate with the outside world. Never trust nobody you meet online to let them know where you live.

I agree with the earlier post - meet in a neutral place to exchange goods for funds. You can avoid counterfeit money by asking for small bills. Most counterfeit money is $100, not tens and twenties. That pen is a good idea too.

I hate hearing things like this. But there are scumbags everywhere.

My experience with Craigslist in the Cleveland area was not good. Pretty much for the same reasons you've listed. I had quite a few workout equipment I was trying to sell and listed them on CL. I had them priced way under what they were going for on ebay or any other similar medium. Anyhow, I got two stinking replies and they both turned out to be freaks.

And you're right about giving out a home address to people you don't know. I'd never do it. I gave out my address where I worked as a meeting spot.

That was the other thing I had to load all this stuff in my truck {treadmill, bike, stair-stepper each time} go to the...(okay, you guys will laugh at this one)...place I worked at the time which was a police station...haha...and then have the freaks never show up...arrgghh......maybe it was the amount of blue in the immediate area??? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products