U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,682,425 times

Advertisements

If I see it is a telie on the other end I sometimes just hit answer and then follow it with "off". I've done the "hello, hello, HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN solicitors call all the time but don't say anything" and then SLAM the cordless phone down hard like I"m trying to hang up. LOL!!! Now THEY have the busted eardrum.

But here is THE BEST line of defense when it comes to these calls. I love this one.

What to tell a telephone marketer:

The phone rang as I was sitting down to my evening meal. As I answered it I was greeted with "Is this Karl Brummer?"

Not sounding anything like my name, I asked who was calling.

The telemarketer said he was with The Rubber Band Powered Freezer Company or something like that.

Then I asked him if he knew Karl personally and why was he calling this number.

I then said off to the side, "Get some pictures of the body at various angles and the blood smears."

I then turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he had entered a murder scene and must stay on the line because we had already traced this call and he would be receiving a summons to testify in this murder case.

I questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone number at home, at work, who he worked for, how he knew the dead guy and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this call.

The telemarketer was getting very concerned and his answers were given in a shaky voice.

I then told him we had located his position and the police were entering the building to take him into custody, at that point I heard the phone fall and the scurrying of his running away.

My wife asked me as I returned to our table why I had tears streaming down my face and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about fifteen minutes. My food was cold, but it was the best meal in a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,489,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
1-800 No Calls; registry means these idiots have to stop calling. It is a Federal Law.

The only time they can call is if you are a debtor/ obviously your mortgage or Visa card. We have had no harassment since being on the no-call list. I have the guts to be rude- you should see how these people act (I manage a call center for Bank of Am)

Also go to your state website. They are not allowed to call you once you submit your name.

sunny
Yes! It has made a TREMENDOUS difference in the amount of calls received since being on the "no call" list. You will get a few violators but not many.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 AM

15,566 posts, read 36,922,766 times
Even though I have registered all my phone numbers on the Do Not Call list, when I got to Texas I still had all these solicitors calling me. When I told them I was on the Do Not Call list they just told me they technically weren't telemarketers. So I got a phone that had the Caller ID thing on it (I also had the service through AT&T) and ZI just never answered my phone if a number came up that I wasn't familiar with. Most telemarketer numbers are an 800 or 866 number. Most people who really needed to get a hold of me had my cell number anyway, so I really didn't even need a house phone, except that I need to use a fax machine pretty often.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 AM

926 posts, read 1,357,217 times
Depending on my mood, I have handled Tele-Marketers in different ways, but here are 2 actual ways I've dealt with them.

One time thet called and I explained that I was busy at the moment and couldn't talk, but if they would give me their home phone number that I would call them later that night when I had some free time. For some reason, they didn't comply to my request.

My favorite was one time one called with such a strong Indian accent that I could barely understand what they were saying. They introduced themselves like, "Hello, my name is Tanmoy Bassoe, and I am representing..."...I interrupted them and said:
"Is that your Christian name?"
"Erm...yes it is"
"So you are a Christian and believe in the bible and the love of God?"
"Uh, yes i do"
Then, for the love of God, don't ever call me again"
Silence..crickets chirping...hang up.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,520,674 times
The "Do Not Call" list has taken care of most of ours; except those balsted political and charitable organization calls... I've got two sort-of realted anecdotes:

- Our "land line number is similar to a local home medical products provider. That's provided some interesting calls. Especially before we realized who they were trying to call...

- I deliver to the stores of a major retailer. Late at night. We have a list of the store phones, which normally gets you an operator. But at most stores, if you change the last digit, you can direct-dial the extension you need to get the store manager. Well, there are a few exceptions to this "last digit" number. So, a few folks got really odd calls from our drivers (including me) until we finally worked up a list of correct access numbers.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM

550 posts, read 2,607,569 times
Well that was a fun morning giggle! Thanks for all your stories.

I also say "I am not interested, thanks anyways, goodbye!" click! I figure that can't be rude because I said thanks. (Now I ask myself, why am I trying to be polite to them??????)

john62 I bet that sales guy still talks about your dad! He must be a legend in the horror stories from their perspective! Cheers to your dad!

Quote:
Another trick is to answer the call and even though you hear them say “hello hello is anyone there? I can’t hear you – hello hello” guess they try to fix things on their end but can’t figure it out.
That is one that I could do and not feel bad. Good idea!

Quote:
"Hello, my name is Tanmoy Bassoe, and I am representing..."...I interrupted them and said:
"Is that your Christian name?"
"Erm...yes it is"
"So you are a Christian and believe in the bible and the love of God?"
"Uh, yes i do"
Then, for the love of God, don't ever call me again"
Silence..crickets chirping...hang up.
giggle

Quote:
The "Do Not Call" list has taken care of most of ours; except those balsted political and charitable organization calls...
The charity ones kill me! I feel so guilty for not being rich! I always say I am sorry but I have 3 boys and a husband to feed so need all the money I have. I do donate all my old clothes and household items so feel I am doing my share to help society.

momof2.......good one!!!!! Put a mental twist on it!

Quote:
Lately, I have been getting computer voice calls
These new computer messages are a real pain in the ass because you have to wait to see who it is from. My sons school sends out messages like that. I need to hear these. Or else Rogers calls me because I have had their new release movie stored away under the couch for almost a month.

The new age of annoying being brought on by computers!

I am looking forward to the first unfortunates soul to call my house today now that I am armed with all these new and fun techniques!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
Default Business solicitors ---HELP!!!!

Hi, I always say no thank you and hang up. I have a big problem maybe someone can help me figure out. I had a business go out of business 4 years ago. I ran it out of my home and had my home phone number used as the business #, I now have that number on the do not call registry but I keep getting business solicitors, I have to say I have been out of business for four years this is a private residence please take me off your list. Any suggestions, this is verrrrry aggrivating

Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermana View Post
Hi, I always say no thank you and hang up. I have a big problem maybe someone can help me figure out. I had a business go out of business 4 years ago. I ran it out of my home and had my home phone number used as the business #, I now have that number on the do not call registry but I keep getting business solicitors, I have to say I have been out of business for four years this is a private residence please take me off your list. Any suggestions, this is verrrrry aggrivating
I don't know what you can do short of changing your phone number.

Here's one - I have a cell phone number that I've had since June of this year. Every single day I get calls from creditors asking for the previous owner of this number. I tell these creditors not to call me, that I am the new owner of this number and that I have nothing to do with and don't know the former owner and to please stop calling. Apparently they don't believe me and think I AM the former owner and that I am trying to dodge paying the bills! Is there a way to stop this, or do I have to change the number? Such a pain!!! Hell, I get more calls for the former owner than I do for myself! Any time I have to deal with my cell phone company it's nothing but a major hassle.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,624,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't know what you can do short of changing your phone number.

Here's one - I have a cell phone number that I've had since June of this year. Every single day I get calls from creditors asking for the previous owner of this number. I tell these creditors not to call me, that I am the new owner of this number and that I have nothing to do with and don't know the former owner and to please stop calling. Apparently they don't believe me and think I AM the former owner and that I am trying to dodge paying the bills! Is there a way to stop this, or do I have to change the number? Such a pain!!! Hell, I get more calls for the former owner than I do for myself! Any time I have to deal with my cell phone company it's nothing but a major hassle.
I have this problem too except on my house phone. I get huge long drawn out messages from people(her friends supposedly) looking for this person on my answering machine. I have called these people back and told them that they are leaving personal messages on a machine that even says my last name not hers stop calling here. They keep calling over and over. Creditors, churches, friends everyone and their brother are looking for this person. My husband is to the point that if this one debt collector calls again he is personally going to their office to tell them to stop calling. (Google is wonderful) Funny thing is we have been here almost a year and she is still giving our number as her home number. So we are getting all the old calls along with new ones. If you figure out how to fix please let me know.

I have resorted to telling them if they can hunt her down let her know I am looking for now too!!!!

Last edited by movingtohouston; 11-07-2007 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: added a rant

Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah, I get the lengthy messages too. What I've resorted to so that I don't answer the phone is every time I get a call from one of these people looking for Jessica, I add the number to a contact I've named "Don't Answer". Then I list as many numbers there as I can (4 numbers per contact). I now have a Dont Answer 1, 2, 3 and 4, each with 4 separate numbers in them!

I think I just got a new number a few minutes ago. Whoever it was didn't leave a message this time, so I'll wait until they call back and leave a message, then I can add them to Don't Answer 5. It was an area code I did not recognize so it's probably not a call for me. This just sucks!!!

Apparently there is no way to block these calls. If there is, it must be a magic secret because I haven't figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products