U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,626,630 times

Advertisements

I too have stopped answering when I don't recognize the number. There is this one debt collector we put on the do not call list. They kept calling and calling. Finally I called them back and said look you've called at least four times today. Each time I told you this # has been reassigned for over a year. I have put you on the do not call list. Don't call me again. They flat out denied ever speaking with me. This is the one my husband wants to go hunt down. I truly enjoy reporting them each and every time they call me. I hope they get lots of fat fines out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,710,558 times
Oh how I love these calls!!!! (sarcasm)

If it's a female and askes for my husband, I hand the phone to him and loudly proclaim that if just one more of his ^*((*@#^%@$^% woman friends call this house again then I'm going to ^%$&%#$^ him.

Or, I'll say hold on!!!! Put the phone down and walk away...leaving them hanging.

Charities, I'll pretend to cry and end up making them feel sorry for me!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
I'm on the do not call list, but I still get a few soliciting phone calls a week. I just cut them off, tell them I'm on the 'do not call' list, then I hang up on them. If they get snarky with me, I don't care; I just hang up. If I get more than 2 calls in a night I just unplug the phone; everyone who knows me has my cell number.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,280,600 times
I am not certain where I saw this - 60 Minutes or a similar program - if a telemarketer calls you and you say the word "cancel" they have no option but to stop their pitch and hang up.

I have used this about a half dozen times and it works. We did have our phones listed on the "do not call" list but this is now a paid service and to pay for this service quarterly can get a little pricey (we have 6 phones).

Old 11-07-2007, 03:25 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am not certain where I saw this - 60 Minutes or a similar program - if a telemarketer calls you and you say the word "cancel" they have no option but to stop their pitch and hang up.

I have used this about a half dozen times and it works. We did have our phones listed on the "do not call" list but this is now a paid service and to pay for this service quarterly can get a little pricey (we have 6 phones).
The national do not call list is free and the listings are not supposed to expire for at least five years.

What subscription service are you talking about?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,280,600 times
Oh gosh ... duh ... I went to the Florida website that now charges - the national one is still free. Thanks for the heads up . . . :-) But just in case anyone gets bugged, do use the word "cancel" - it does work.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

14,505 posts, read 24,014,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I just got a phone call from a guy asking me if I would like to spend $60 to send a few kids to a play in October. I said "no thankyou, I have kids of my own to support right now." He then asked if I wanted to spend the $60 to take my family. I again said "no, but thanks anyways." He then slammed the phone down in my ear.

Am I not allowed to say no without being treated rudely? This happened once before so I phoned the girl back and gave her crap for being so rude to me. I asked her if it was okay for me to say no in my own home! I didn't ask her to phone me.

My husband likes to tell the person to hang on and then see how long they will stay on the line for. One guy held on for 6 minutes! I can't stand phone solicitors but also don't have the guts to do something like that. I actually feel bad for the guy on the other end of the line!

I guess I am too soft.

I get average of 5 calls a day from people wanting money, clothes, or lately a whole slew of banks keep calling.

Oh yes, the other thing that makes me SO MAD is when the bank asks for my husband. I say no, can I help you, I am his wife. They say no they have to talk to him. When I tell them a good time to call, by their request (he works a lot of hours so isn't here a lot) they never do call at the times I tell them. They keep calling at the same time every other day and refuse to talk to me. When they say "we will call back" I am starting to say "no you WON'T!" I know that doesn't do anything but it makes me feel better.

go on the site donotcall.org- when you register it is against federal law for telemarketers to call you- it is harassment. Also pay 2.00 to get an unlisted# Its well worth it.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
Lo siento , señor . No entiendo Ingles.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,112,813 times
Telemarketer: "Hello, may I speak to Joe Schmoe?"
Joe Schmoe: "This is he."
Telemarketer: "This is Hye Butkus with the Trophy Club Hammers and Frammers. Would you be interested in a timeshare in Kokomo?"
Joe Schmoe: "Sure, tell me all about it."
Telemarketer: "Well, we here at Trophy Club Hammers and Frammers pride ourselves on our properties. We furnish them with Double Stuf Oreos and a free toothbrush, and provide the finest...
Joe Schmoe: "Oh, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t!!!!"
Telemarketer: "Uh, sir?"
Joe Schmoe: "Oh my GOD!!!"
Telemarketer: "Uh, sir? Is everything okay?"
Joe Schmoe: "No! I just set my jeans on fire! Oh my GOD! I gotta call 911!!!"

:: click ::

Only used that one once back in the days before caller ID. Good times.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I too have stopped answering when I don't recognize the number. There is this one debt collector we put on the do not call list. They kept calling and calling. Finally I called them back and said look you've called at least four times today. Each time I told you this # has been reassigned for over a year. I have put you on the do not call list. Don't call me again. They flat out denied ever speaking with me. This is the one my husband wants to go hunt down. I truly enjoy reporting them each and every time they call me. I hope they get lots of fat fines out of it.
Really doen't apply if you have a financial relationship with them on no call list. Call your attorney general because most states have a harrassment law on debt colletors.Deosn't m,ean they would keep doing it tho as they have to prove the call;but they will warn them of the compalint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products