U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,923,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have had to amend a listing once or twice in and also admit I seldom have reason to look at an auction page once I have bid....I doubt many do.
eBay shouldn't allow amendments is the best answer or there should be automatic email notifications to any bidders that a change took place plus a pop up on your page when you sign on.

Although eBay maintains it's your responsibility to keep up with changes the main problem was created by a seller mistake and she should have let you out of it.
Well, as time has past, I am less upset about the whole thing. I think what got me was the Seller's confrontational attitude. Instead of saying - yes - that listing was inaccurate despite my later note . . . sorry that confused things, etc - she was so hateful about it.

I realize now that with her being a newbie, she was probably expecting to make a LOT more off the item and was upset b/c no one bid on it except me. She should have set her starting bid higher if she didn't want to sell it so cheaply.

For me, I was expecting that I would receive 3 items, not 2. So I felt ripped off, regardless of price. As we all know, with Ebay, if you start something at .99, that may be all you end up with . . . and a newbie may not realize how often this happens. I have won several auctions in the last month w/ items that sold for .99 (I was only bidder) and the shipping was $7.99. To me, $9 was the max I was willing to spend and so I was satisfied - but if the Seller was a newbie, this may have been a surprise. Experienced Sellers are quite aware that this can (and often does) occur.

I just hope when I receive the items, they are in as pristine condition as the Seller said they were in . . . cause this was in investment I was making on behalf of someone else's future/career . . . and I will be really upset if the items are shabby.

Out of this round of auctions - I have purchased about a dozen items for this particular wardrobe - and everything has arrived in beautiful condition, except one blouse (and I have repaired it - the Seller had sold less than 20 items - so my bad for not noticing that-I should have never bid on the item).

Experienced Sellers on Ebay are some of the nicest folks I have dealt with - I have even had people throw in something "extra" now and then. I hate to say it - but - it appears to me, the newbies are often the ones messing up the Ebay experience (and reputation) for buyers and sellers alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,758,128 times
I've been doing ebay for about 10 years now too. It's changed so much - some for the better, some for the worse.

Some of the "better" are that a seller can no longer "neg" you if you leave them a negative. This has eliminated seller's holding feedback "hostage". How I hated seller's sending me a note that said, "I'll leave you positive feedback only after you leave me positive feedback"... Why? I bid, I paid - my part of the auction is over!

Anyway, in a situation like this either go to dispute resolution or pay then leave her a neg or neutral. They now also have a ratings system... this can cost them dearly - especially if you don't leave the maximum number of stars on description.

Since the changes for sellers (feedback rules and ratings), things have gotten slightly better. I've had five negative experiences though on ebay in the past year. Twice, I never received items I paid for - yes, I won both paypal disputes and was refunded, but in the meantime, I didn't receive what I'd been bidding on and was out the $$ for well over a month and couldn't rebid until the money was released, and the other three were sellers who cancelled the auctions and refunded my money claiming that the items were "imperfect" and they didn't want to "risk upsetting me". In other words, they didn't get what they wanted/expected and so relisted it. I reported them all to ebay once they reposted those auctions (yep, I watch for em!)

In one case, I won a Sizzix die set for $5 plus $10 shipping. She refunded my money and reposted the item for $65. When ebay refused to do something, I got a new ebay ID with a free hotmail email accout, then bid the item up to $195 and refused to pay. She got to relisted the item for free and that user ID was banned from ebay, but she was out the $$ for well over 90 days. I hope it hurt her financially. I can't stand dishonest sellers and really like to see people like that get what's coming to them!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,923,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I've been doing ebay for about 10 years now too. It's changed so much - some for the better, some for the worse.

Some of the "better" are that a seller can no longer "neg" you if you leave them a negative. This has eliminated seller's holding feedback "hostage". How I hated seller's sending me a note that said, "I'll leave you positive feedback only after you leave me positive feedback"... Why? I bid, I paid - my part of the auction is over!

Anyway, in a situation like this either go to dispute resolution or pay then leave her a neg or neutral. They now also have a ratings system... this can cost them dearly - especially if you don't leave the maximum number of stars on description.

Since the changes for sellers (feedback rules and ratings), things have gotten slightly better. I've had five negative experiences though on ebay in the past year. Twice, I never received items I paid for - yes, I won both paypal disputes and was refunded, but in the meantime, I didn't receive what I'd been bidding on and was out the $$ for well over a month and couldn't rebid until the money was released, and the other three were sellers who cancelled the auctions and refunded my money claiming that the items were "imperfect" and they didn't want to "risk upsetting me". In other words, they didn't get what they wanted/expected and so relisted it. I reported them all to ebay once they reposted those auctions (yep, I watch for em!)

In one case, I won a Sizzix die set for $5 plus $10 shipping. She refunded my money and reposted the item for $65. When ebay refused to do something, I got a new ebay ID with a free hotmail email accout, then bid the item up to $195 and refused to pay. She got to relisted the item for free and that user ID was banned from ebay, but she was out the $$ for well over 90 days. I hope it hurt her financially. I can't stand dishonest sellers and really like to see people like that get what's coming to them!
LOL!!! Love that strategy. Yes, if folks want to list for the minimum price they expect, that is what they should do - rather than retracting something after they see their item didn't sell for what they expected.

Now that I think about it, I had a situation five or so years ago where I had bid on a lot of sterling/silverplate jewelry. I saw there was a valuable Christmas ornament in that lot (looked like costume jewelry to most folks, I am sure) and so I was willing to pay up to about 1/2 the value of that ornament for the whole lot, but I ended up getting the whole lot for $22. I also knew that the re-sale of one of the heavy sterling necklaces would recoup my whole investment.

I never rec'd the item and after finally calling the seller, I got told that someone had accidently sold the pieces in their shop. Oh. Really. Then I had to wait on a refund.

I knew what had happened - someone had realized that the one ornament should have been sold alone . . . and that the one sterling chain was also valuable.

So that was that. What can you do? I really don't know a way to force someone into selling what they had up for auction, especially when they lie and say someone "accidentally sold it" in their shop. It's just the way things go.

What would really upset me is if I missed out on a similar (or the exact) item while screwing around w/ the dealer who is retracting the sale.

Now, if I understood you correctly, you are saying if I give this current dealer a negative (or neutral) she CANNOT extract revenge on me by giving me a negative rep? Cause I am very concerned about that. I have never gotten negative feedback and don't want it, either.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 AM

20,534 posts, read 20,520,186 times
One of the changes eBay made some time ago that caused me to stop selling was that selllers could no longer leave negs.....regardless of the reason.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,758,128 times
Yep ani - old cold is correct - sellers can no longer "neg" you! Go for it! Seller's like that DESERVE to be outed!

The funniest part of the Sizzix die thing is that the lettering sets (which is what I was bidding on at the time) are now being clearanced at Joann's for $19.97 each. *shrug* In the end, I got what I wanted and I felt good about it too - I love "justice"!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM

184 posts, read 207,334 times
When you buy off a person, you have less rights, regardless of what the E Bay terms and conditions are, there will always be people acting like this, especially during a recession. Its all about "Sold as seen".

Ask yourself, OP, what makes you think that YOU deserve good service? Stuff happens, stop griping and get on with it. Stop being a stresshead.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM

324 posts, read 661,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One of the changes eBay made some time ago that caused me to stop selling was that selllers could no longer leave negs.....regardless of the reason.
I was going to say this exact thing!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,398,517 times
Anifani wrote:

Quote:
Now, if I understood you correctly, you are saying if I give this current dealer a negative (or neutral) she CANNOT extract revenge on me by giving me a negative rep? Cause I am very concerned about that. I have never gotten negative feedback and don't want it, either.
That is correct. I'm in a situation where I just received an item that was damaged. I have not given or received a negative in my 7 + years doing business there and in this instance, don't want to. I aim to give the seller every opportunity to correct the problem first. Nonetheless, the item was shipped very fast and the overall service was professional.

I know if I jumped the gun and neg'd him, it will simply hurt his business, especially if I never gave him the chance to fix it. That wouldn't be very fair.

I do hope you get your situation worked out.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM

20,534 posts, read 20,520,186 times
Anyone reading this.....do please be aware that eBay's payment system..PayPal..is being extremely hard on new sellers that do not understand their (payPals) policies.

Not only do they get blindsided by the hype and find they may not get anything near the value of their item (due to too many reasons to go into here) but that they may not even get the money you sent them until AFTER they have paid out-of-pocket the shipping costs and/or weeks after it was sent.
If you have a legitimate complaint, of course, you should make a complaint which should be official and a request for your money back
BUT....PLEASE...if any of the problem is understandable,extremely minor, partially your fault or something the seller can't control (in transit time, for instance) don't make it tougher on that new seller....the kind that sells the bargains we go to eBay to find....or they will disappear along with the rest of us that have already gone.
I had 4 negs in over 1000 feedbacks...3 were non -payers.......these days I would not be able to give them any negs/warings to other sellers and the ones they gave me would stand uncontested.

Just using this thread for an opportunity for a plea for those new sellers out that there that are honest but naive and for buyers that have no idea of how tough eBay has made it..............and maybe a warning to any that are thinking of selling there................learn first, don't fall for the hype.

Last edited by old_cold; 04-13-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 AM

184 posts, read 207,334 times
Also know that you might not sell a thing, at all. What?! You think you are the only seller!

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products