U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
Default So mad I could spit: Lousy Ebay Seller

I have been buying on Ebay for over 10 years - started by collecting pieces of my china. I have 100% great feedback. Never have gotten any bad feedback in all these years.

Please read my situation and tell me what I should do - just forget it and move on or give this Seller bad feedback - or write Ebay - or what?

I bid on a suit and here is the listing - I am copying it for you.

Liz Claiborne Suit Jacket, Long Skirt AND Pants

Note: the Seller capitalized AND to show it was 3 pieces - what a bargain!
Beginning bid: $10 and $10.33 shipping.

I did a search, looking for a 2 piece suit. I immediately found this one and was the first bidder.

I read the description and decided to bid $11.53 as my maximum bid. I wanted to spend no more than $20 but since this was 3 pieces instead of two, I thought - good deal.

Never thought another thing about it, as I figured someone would outbid me. That was on 3/31. On 4/4, the auction ended. I do most of my Ebay bidding on my iPhone. I was playing a game on my iPhone around midnite and the notice came in that I had won an auction, so I flipped over to my Ebay App to see what auction it was.

I was so surprised to see no one else had bid on this 3 piece suit. But as I was looking, I realized a note had been added to the bottom of the listing. It said:

On Mar-31-10 at 17:21:42 PDT, seller added the following information:I accidentally just gave the pants to a womens shelter. So what is selling it what is showing.

I had bid on the item b/f that note was added and so never saw it. I was so digusted, as the pants and jacket were what I wanted. I immediately wrote the Seller (this was w/in mere minutes of winning the auction) and explained my situation. Here is a copy of my message to the Seller

I just checked on this auction and saw your note for the first time. I bid on this for the pants and jacket more than the skirt. I did not see this note when I bid on the item. I would never have bid on it had i known there were no pants plus the high shipping cost for 2 items only. Pls advise. I am a good buyer and have never had a situation like this before. Thank you!

I never got a reply back. That was around midnite on 4/4. I checked every day to see what message I had gotten. Yesterday, (4/7) when I had not yet received a reply, I thought - well - maybe the Seller had adjusted the shipping or the price a dollar or two - so I will just attempt to pay and see what figures pop up.

Nothing was changed on the invoice - same price on auction, same price on shipping.

So I wrote the Seller and said: (4/7)

Did you receive my earlier note? I didn't receive a reply; and I haven't rec'd an invoice or any messages. Pls. advise. Thank you.

This is what I got back:

It is unfortunate you do not read your updates from Ebay. Waiting for payment. Please respond to the invoice I sent.

So I wrote her back: (4/7)

I did not receive a new invoice - did you send it to my email? It could have gone to my spam folder.

And here is what I got in reply: (4/7)

Yes I did- Funny how you didnt get it since you dont want to pay because you didnt bother to read the item description. It was sent from paypal-I am expecting payment so i can ship the item.

So I wrote her back: (4/7)

If the description changes were there when I bid, I didn't see them. You can plainly see that the listing says skirt AND pants and you emphasized AND in the listing. I am not trying to avoid payment but I asked for you to advise a fair solution as I would never have bid and been willing to pay over $20 including shipping w/ o the pants.I have bought many items in the last month. I am a good buyer; not trying to cause a problem. However, your listing has a problem. You did not reply to my earlier msg. Are you saying you expect me to pay the full amount and high shipping and no further discussion? You said you sent invoice and when I went to pay, the invoice had no change. This is how you intend to handle your listing misinformation? Pls advise.

And her reply: (4/8)

Please quit stalling your payment. You bid and you are responsible for reading the item descriptions. Let me know what your intentions are today so you don't waste any more of my time.

I am just stunned. In all these years, I have never had a problem with a Seller and I have never caused a Seller to feel he/she has had a problem with me, lol. I have had some odd things occur - such as - the Seller writing and saying he/she had accidentally already sold the item or now couldn't find it - but I never made an issue of it - just got my refund and said to heck with it.

Then I looked at this gal's record and realized she only has had 2 Ebay transactions! She has never bought or sold on Ebay til she put up a few items to sell.

I paid for the items b/c it is obvious this person is not going to admit she was unfair w/ how she handled the listing.

What should I do about leaving feedback? If I tell the truth and say - this Seller had a incorrect listing, added a note after I bid, so I didn't get what I bid on - she will doubtless say negative stuff about me in retaliation and I have had nothing but good comments and scores so I feel I am pretty much left to do nothing.

Should I just forget it - and mark it up to a new Seller acting like a horse's arse?

And something else - this gal could see that I have nothing but good feedback. Here are the last few remarks from Sellers:

Gr8 Ebay Transaction! Lightening Fast Payment! Asset To Ebay! Come Back Anytime! (4/8)
Great customer! Fast payment good job! (4/7)
^+^ ^+^ A WONDERFUL EBAYER ^+^ ^+^ Thanks ! {mailed 04-07} +A+A+A+A+ (4/7)
Perfect Transaction.Great Ebay Experience.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BUYER (4/6)
Quick payment, Great buyer, Thank you (4/6)

Last edited by anifani821; 04-08-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM

131,636 posts, read 42,753,128 times
I'd give negative write up on seller to warn others.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,381,629 times
I would give her negative feedback and simply state, "Items received did not match ad description."

She won't go very far with only 2 sales and negative feedback already.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Thank you for your advice. I hate to leave negative feedback but this is just not the typical Ebay experience and this gal appears to have no clue. I should have known better and not even messed w/ buying from someone w/ only a 2 as far as transactions.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM

8,708 posts, read 11,921,435 times
Contact eBay and tell them that she changed the listing after you won the item. Since she did that, you're not obligated to pay, and eBay will take care of her. I've been buying and selling on eBay for over 10 years, and you get these weirdos from time to time.

I had a woman buy a blouse from me that I bought from someone else on eBay, and it was too small. The woman that bought it from me filed a PayPal dispute claiming that there were holes and yellow stains on the blouse. I submitted my answer to PayPal, then called and talked to someone about it. I also gave the rep the original sellers eBay user id to email her. I emailed the former seller in advance and told her about it. Anyway, PayPal ruled in my favor, and the woman left me positive feedback, but I'm sure she wasn't happy about it. She probably just wanted her money back.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

746 posts, read 2,243,394 times
Look at the time stamp on the note about no trousers and the time you bid. It's all there in the listing. You will quickly see if the seller pulled a fast one or if you missed the note before bidding.

On eBay the new sellers are often the worst, they have no idea as to how dependent buyers and sellers are in making the system work.

When I bid on something from a new seller, or one who has feedback mostly from buying things themselves, I double scrutinize everything, and look for weasel words such as you encountered.

Life isn't perfect, and neither is eBay. Just chalk it up to bad luck, and if you are unhappy, state why, factually, in your feedback. It is important that we all know the stinko sellers.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Contact eBay and tell them that she changed the listing after you won the item. Since she did that, you're not obligated to pay, and eBay will take care of her. I've been buying and selling on eBay for over 10 years, and you get these weirdos from time to time.

I had a woman buy a blouse from me that I bought from someone else on eBay, and it was too small. The woman that bought it from me filed a PayPal dispute claiming that there were holes and yellow stains on the blouse. I submitted my answer to PayPal, then called and talked to someone about it. I also gave the rep the original sellers eBay user id to email her. I emailed the former seller in advance and told her about it. Anyway, PayPal ruled in my favor, and the woman left me positive feedback, but I'm sure she wasn't happy about it. She probably just wanted her money back.
She didn't change the listing (add that note at the bottom) til after I bid - but she didn't do it after I had won the auction.

I was the only bid she got on the item and I just bid the starting price. I assumed someone would run up the bid on me and I didn't care, as that was the top amount I would pay (my initial bid).

I am buying clothes to donate to a women's shelter to help women dress properly for job interviews - so I have a strict budget I am dealing with.

She definitely added the note after I had already bid. Had I noticed her note before the auction ended, I would have written her, expecting her to say - oh, that's fine - if you end up winning the auction, no problem - my fault - I will re-list it.

She has written me two more nasty notes since I paid for the item! I am ignoring them. Her latest:

I sent your $250.00 dollar suit priority mail today that you got for $23.00 and still complained about. I hope you enjoy it dear.

I cannot even imagine a Seller acting this way! I think she was angry that no one bid on her suit. I guess she thought she was going to get a lot more money for the skirt and jacket, lol. To me, I have to add cleaning costs so spending $20 for used items is where I set my limit.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Look at the time stamp on the note about no trousers and the time you bid. It's all there in the listing. You will quickly see if the seller pulled a fast one or if you missed the note before bidding.

On eBay the new sellers are often the worst, they have no idea as to how dependent buyers and sellers are in making the system work.

When I bid on something from a new seller, or one who has feedback mostly from buying things themselves, I double scrutinize everything, and look for weasel words such as you encountered.

Life isn't perfect, and neither is eBay. Just chalk it up to bad luck, and if you are unhappy, state why, factually, in your feedback. It is important that we all know the stinko sellers.
I have had such good experiences with Sellers. Yes, it goes both ways! I recently had someone delay sending me my merchandise - two weeks after payment and still no item (and they only live about 60 miles from me, lol). No tracking info was provided. So I wrote the Seller a nice note explaining that sometimes my packages have ended up being delivered by the mailman to the wrong address - so could she provide some tracking info. The Seller wrote me back - she had been out of town w/ a death in the family and was behind. I am so glad I was polite in my note. Wrote her back - no rush - just let me know when you can get it shipped. There is simply no reason for folks to be ugly - either Buyers or Sellers. Most things can be worked out easily enough.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM

12,155 posts, read 7,400,023 times
I would leave negative feedback. If she turns around and leaves negative feedback on you then I would address the issue with ebay to have hers removed.

Buyer Beware. Your feedback will warn others.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 AM

10,964 posts, read 7,558,525 times
I have had to amend a listing once or twice in and also admit I seldom have reason to look at an auction page once I have bid....I doubt many do.
eBay shouldn't allow amendments is the best answer or there should be automatic email notifications to any bidders that a change took place plus a pop up on your page when you sign on.

Although eBay maintains it's your responsibility to keep up with changes the main problem was created by a seller mistake and she should have let you out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products