U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,066,377 times

Advertisements

ok got a question regarding coupons.i use them every week at my main store of shopping. today i decided to try shop rite. i was told i could save alot more shopping there then regular store.so give the kid coupons. he starts swiping,then tells me he cant use 2 of them because they experation date was cut off. i just cut the coupon from today's paper i tell him.but he says cant use it.so he calls over manager,i ask her if it was expired it would not go through.she said that the store wont get paid if no expire date on. how true is this does anyone know? by the way she did take coupon.no other store has ever complained about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
They get to set whatever rules they want.

Personally, I think it is good that they only accept coupons that people did NOT cut the dates off of.
Otherwise, everyone would be doing that and the store would be stuck with expired coupons.

Why did you cut the dates off?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM

didn't have scissors with me i guess i just wasn't paying attention. but if its expired you hear a beeping sound he didnt even run it through. he just saw no experation date. it went through fine. i was going to even get the news paper from store and show him the coupon. but they accepted it. i now know when i go to shop rite to make sure my coupons are not incorrectly cut. my main dont care as long as it goes through.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 AM

13,481 posts, read 25,857,588 times
I've used expired coupons at Target and Walmart without a problem, but I don't do it on a regular basis. I've done it a couple of times, because it was an item that I wanted, and it was literally free with the coupon. I just cut the date off, and it went through. The store will still get reimbursed for it.

I send all the coupons that I'm not going to use to the military families overseas. Even if they're expired, they can use them. I have a big stack ready to go out, as soon as I find something to put them in.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM

as stated though mine was not expired. it just bugged me that they gave me a hard time and said that they would not be paid for the item.. yea right.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Where I work we have old registers. They will let expired coupons go through, however we have been told it is considered fraud to accept expired coupons, and yes, I've been told that the company is NOT reimbursed for expired coupons. It is against company policy to take expired coupons and coupons missing their expiration dates. That doesn't mean that sometimes an inattentive cashier doesn't occasionally let a few slip through, it happens.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM

13,481 posts, read 25,857,588 times
I send all the coupons that I'm going to use to a military family overseas. She says that the commissary will take expired coupons without a problem. So they must get reimbursed for it, or they wouldn't accept them.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Here's an in depth look at how it works. I would guess that the military has their own thing going with expired coupons, and it would seem that my company is so picky about coupon handling because we don't have up to date registers and therefore each coupon is supposed to be verified by the cashier. I guess they would rather be safe than sorry and not take their chances on anything past expiration.
Extreme Couponer 101: Coupon Redemption :: Southern Savers

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,803,374 times
My grandpa was a purchaser for a large grocery store chain and I asked him to clarify the coupon thing for me. The coupons need to have the exp date or they won't be accepted. Expired coupons will be reimbursed by the manufacturer no later then 6 months after the exp date. Some companies will only reimburse 3 months after the exp date. But those are few and far between. Stores can accept the expired coupons as long as they get them bundled and too the manufacturer before the 6 months is up. Most of the time a store won't accept them because they don't want to go to the extra work of sorting and bundling them. If they won't accept a legit coupon and a customer complains to the manufacturer, the manufacturer will call the store chain and complain. The chains don't like that. But, if its after the exp date, its totally up to the store chain or the store manager. He retired from that chain about 6 years ago, but the coupon policy was the virtually the same the 50 years he worked in the grocery store business.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,976,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Here's an in depth look at how it works. I would guess that the military has their own thing going with expired coupons, and it would seem that my company is so picky about coupon handling because we don't have up to date registers and therefore each coupon is supposed to be verified by the cashier. I guess they would rather be safe than sorry and not take their chances on anything past expiration.
Extreme Couponer 101: Coupon Redemption :: Southern Savers
Great post and link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products