U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,953,202 times

Advertisements

I've bought some of their baking supplies like powdered sugar and so on and it's been fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,471,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I buy a lot of Great Value products. Most of them are no different from the name brands. I have found one or two that were not as good, but they were not bad by any means.
Sure they are... Get a brand name and a wal mart brand and sample them side by side... Example; Their fresh bread is like a brand names day old bread..just take a look at the texture.... It's like the difference in a moist cake and a dried out cake...

We opened and ate a can of the wal mart corn, it's supposed to be cooked and all you have to do is heat it, well it was like it had come right off of the cob and had never seen any heat..

I like spam once in a while, my wife came home with the wal mart version I made a sandwich out of it and it was like I had emptied a salt shaker into my mouth..

I have yet to find a wal mart brand that is of the same quality as a brand name..

And there are some not brand names out there carried by others that aren't half bad...

I guess we all have different taste...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 62,071 times
Default My response to Wal-Mart's store brands.

What I think about Wal-Mart's Store brands vs name brands. Wal-Mart's donut holes are less moist than "Granny's" sold at another grocery store (and at a better price than Wal-Mart). To me there is a big difference between "Del Monte" canned vegetables and all other name brands or "Great Value" brands. Don't get me wrong some "Great Value" products are better than name brands such as their Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Toaster Pasteries (one of the few exceptions that I'll buy). To me Wal-Mart's Sams Club soda is less tasty than name brands. Another turn-off is seeing soooo many "Great Value" products that I refuse to purchase most of them. This is just a very small example of the difference between the "Great Value" brand and name brands.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:22 PM

39,901 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've bought some of their baking supplies like powdered sugar and so on and it's been fine.
Things like sugar, baking supplies, seasonings... stuff which is not prepared in any way is pretty much the same everywhere.
The prepared food is what makes the difference. If this is a canned food, items from bakery, deli, frozen meals, dairy, ready to eat meals etc. Those are made from the least quality products, are full of fat, sugar,food coloring and other chemicals added to mask the bad taste and appearance. Just check the endless ( yeah, never simple ) list of ingredients: chemicals ( like fertilizer in bakery products), anal glands of a beaver in candies and sweets, crushed bugs as red coloring, beef fat in cookies, shellac commonly used as a wood varnish in the sprinkles, coal tar in red-colored candies, sodas and sweets, sand used as anti-caking agent, modified/processed disgusting additives, then fat, followed by sugar and trace of natural products.
Containers holding those items, made mostly in China leach all kinds of toxic chemicals. Products made in US have a little triangle with a number. You don't see those on any of the plastic products sold in Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart cares only about profit. They buy from the cheapest possible source cheapest products they can put their hands on. Wal-Mart only recalls products when it absolutely has to.
From lead containing toys, toxic jewelry, products causing fire hazard, chocking hazard, food poisoning you name it.
Would you expect to find lead in bibs? Those are recalled more than 8 months ago, but Walmart is still selling.
As a house or generic brand, the Great Value line does not consist of goods produced by Walmart, but is a labeling system for items manufactured and packaged by a number of agricultural and food corporations. Great Value is a "house" or store brand owned by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart takes bids from different companies to make great value products. The companies with the lowest bids get the contract to make the products.
Walmart, in particular has a history of dangerous products on their shelves.
Walmart use its size and clout to push suppliers to produce at a lower cost, forcing them to cut corners to meet Walmart's price demands and still make a profit. One of the areas that suppliers could cut corners is product safety. Walmart has repeatedly carried products that have been identified as unsafe or dangerous.
In conclusion: are Walmart private labels like Great Value, Equate, Ol'Roy good and safe to use?
I would not want to take chance...

Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM

32,531 posts, read 31,238,277 times
I'm trying them out on an "as needed" basis.

Aluminum foil: LOVE IT.

Pepperoni pizza. Too doughy.

Plain old bottle water: Tasted just fine. Nice and wet.

Coming up: Blackberry jelly and dishwasher powder. I'll let you know.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm trying them out on an "as needed" basis.

Aluminum foil: LOVE IT.

Pepperoni pizza. Too doughy.

Plain old bottle water: Tasted just fine. Nice and wet.

Coming up: Blackberry jelly and dishwasher powder. I'll let you know.
The Environmental Working Group's bottled water testing turned up a surprise finding: bottled waters from Walmart (the Sam's Choice brand) and Giant Foods (Acadia brand) showed high levels of disinfection byproducts (DBPs) known as trihalomethanes, chemicals linked to cancer and birth defects. These chemicals are common pollutants in municipal tap water.
EWG analysis of bottled waters sold by the Walmart and Giant Foods stores, discovered that every one of five Acadia brand waters and four out of eleven Sam's Choice brand waters contained disinfection byproducts, especially trihalomethanes (THMs), such as chloroform and bromodichloromethane, chemicals considered carcinogenic to humans.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,843,809 times
we buy tons of walmart brand items (food and otherwise) and like most of it. I have no issue with it, and my wallet thanks me.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,809,510 times
Our local WM just did a remodel as well & the GV products were increased greatly. I don't like their cream of celery soup I had to buy because they didn't have any Campbells for sure.

Thing I look at is where is it packaged or manufactured a lot of WM brands are from China & Mexico. Look at the spices next time you go the cheaper ones are all from China. Many manufacturing food companies use to run product for various companies just changed out the labels. Not finding that anymore at least in my part of Indiana.

Curious to know how many of you that have posted in this thread have a Meijer, Target or something similar close to your WM? When one got built near ours is when we started seeing more of GV and less of a variety of other brands.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,043,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
i work at walmart. theyll do anything to make a buck. a lot of people buy the cheaper brands because theyre more affordable, it was pretty recent that they really went gung-ho with the great value...it was always there but now its pretty abundant. i dont buy any of it though, i dont actually like shopping there. why support something that makes me angry on a daily basis. lol.
Same here, 10 years. The Sams Choice products were very good but they are getting phased out... (colossal pistashio's were killer)... the great value is meh, pick your way through a minefield. The sliced cheese is like plastic, it doesn't even melt right. Soup, tuna fish, horrible. Bread, horrible. Ice cream sandwiches are excellent however and paper plates, foil, garbage bags are pretty decent.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Same here, 10 years. The Sams Choice products were very good but they are getting phased out... (colossal pistashio's were killer)... the great value is meh, pick your way through a minefield. The sliced cheese is like plastic, it doesn't even melt right. Soup, tuna fish, horrible. Bread, horrible. Ice cream sandwiches are excellent however and paper plates, foil, garbage bags are pretty decent.

I agree! It is hard to screw up on paper or bags appearance, but I would be worried about the chemical content in it. I don't use their plastic at all. Is just to unsafe. Most of it do not have any recycling codes and chemicals from these containers may leach into the food or liquids they hold, eventually entering and being absorbed by the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products