U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,371,197 times
On a side note, have you been reading labels recently?!

As Peperosso mentioned, now many "generic brands" in almost every grocery store just say "distributed/packed by".

I don't care who distributes/packs it, I want to know where it was made!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 25 days ago)

21,043 posts, read 22,265,525 times
Little off topic, but I think, I should share.
Yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart to buy bicycle lock. Found nice, colorful pack of 3 for ~$15.One key fit all.
Yeah… literally! The set of keys did fit 4 of 5 other sets of locks too.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,399,240 times
Once upon a time, the word "value" actually meant something. Now it's just a slogan. (I wonder how soon we'll see a commercial where some smiling stooge intones, "Wal-Mart, where value is a slogan!")

Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,017,386 times
At least Walmart is honest when they use the word "value"

20 oz box of Rasin Bran cereal for $1.65 is a " great value" ......just like the brand states.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM

28,778 posts, read 11,249,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Little off topic, but I think, I should share.
Yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart to buy bicycle lock. Found nice, colorful pack of 3 for ~$15.One key fit all.
Yeah… literally! The set of keys did fit 4 of 5 other sets of locks too.

I'm surprised you went to Wal-Mart, you said last week you wouldn't go back for a long time. Was there a reason you used a picture from Amazon of the locks you purchased?

Elnina posted:
I rarely go there since they sell mostly junk that is - yes cheap, but also of very poor quality.
I needed an insect spray, brand name – there is not much what can go wrong with it ( even if made in China – it suppose to kill ).
The store was poorly stocked, shelves with many empty spaces, poor selection, and no “associates” anywhere around. Only two cash registers were open, and customers were standing in long lines.
It will be long till I go there again…:

Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm surprised you went to Wal-Mart, you said last week you wouldn't go back for a long time. Was there a reason you used a picture from Amazon of the locks you purchased?

Elnina posted:
I rarely go there since they sell mostly junk that is - yes cheap, but also of very poor quality.
I needed an insect spray, brand name – there is not much what can go wrong with it ( even if made in China – it suppose to kill ).
The store was poorly stocked, shelves with many empty spaces, poor selection, and no “associates” anywhere around. Only two cash registers were open, and customers were standing in long lines.
It will be long till I go there again…:

I went there to see what kind of locks they have. I was not going to wear it on or chew on it, and decided that they might have something other than their own brand, good enough to lock my shed.
I didn't purchased the locks ( that's why the Amazon picture ) and it was not a Walmart brand - so I am not complaining here. I wrote my note because I wanted to make others aware of the fact that the key ( Master brand!) can also open other locks.
This kind of lock is available in many stores, and online; nothing to do with Walmart, though.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
The last time I shopped at our local Wal-Mart I noticed that their "Great Value" food products are taking over larger and larger sections of the store...Has anyone noticed this? Have you tried many "Great Value" food items? What do you think?
I noticed the same thing, I told my g/f that pretty soon all of Wal-Mart will be great value products, it really wouldnt suprise me.The new Great Value packaging looks like something you would find at a dollar store, very very very cheap. I rarely go to Walmart anymore though, I dont like to deal with the crowds, I like to shop without people all in my way.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM

5,269 posts, read 2,291,479 times
Walmart is a fabulous operating company. If a product appears on the shelves and retains its placement, it is because people buy it and it is profitable to provide it to them. With more than 100 million Americans going to a Walmart every week, they have their finger on the pulse of consumer preference and buying habits. You vote, I vote, 100 million people vote with our wallets and Walmart knows that providing what we are looking for is the surest path to continued success. That enables them to employ more than a million of us, which is a good thing.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Walmart is a fabulous operating company. If a product appears on the shelves and retains its placement, it is because people buy it and it is profitable to provide it to them. With more than 100 million Americans going to a Walmart every week, they have their finger on the pulse of consumer preference and buying habits. You vote, I vote, 100 million people vote with our wallets and Walmart knows that providing what we are looking for is the surest path to continued success. That enables them to employ more than a million of us, which is a good thing.

Great speech
BTW: I DIDN'T vote with my wallet...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM

41,657 posts, read 44,962,926 times
No its actually true as even what is stocked by local wal-marts depends on customer taste. its a very efficent well oiled machine which is being coppied by many including asscoiaton of local owned stores.Even with local stores they have gone to if it doesn't sell it loses space on the shelve so we are always voting really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products