U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,843,809 times

Advertisements

Aldi's private brand items are awesome also. Very tasty and nice prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,375,783 times
I've been a GV buyer since college. I hate that recently they switched to the white box with great value in big blue letters but oh well. Many of the products taste exactly the same as the name-brand ones. I purchase almost all my frozen veggies in GV; birdseye and Green Giant have just gotten too expensive and the bags are smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We use both,Publix for BOGO and Walmart for price,GV products.Last night ate GV extra-raisins raisin bran,excellent.Publix is pricey!
I agree. I only shop at Publix for BOGO and often I'll fins that I'm still paying the same price I would have paid at Wal-mart. For instance last week Rainer (sp) cherries were $3.48 a carton at Wal-mart & BOGO at Publix; but the Publix price was $6.50

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-18-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 24,008,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Environmental Working Group's bottled water testing turned up a surprise finding: bottled waters from Walmart (the Sam's Choice brand) and Giant Foods (Acadia brand) showed high levels of disinfection byproducts (DBPs) known as trihalomethanes, chemicals linked to cancer and birth defects. These chemicals are common pollutants in municipal tap water.
EWG analysis of bottled waters sold by the Walmart and Giant Foods stores, discovered that every one of five Acadia brand waters and four out of eleven Sam's Choice brand waters contained disinfection byproducts, especially trihalomethanes (THMs), such as chloroform and bromodichloromethane, chemicals considered carcinogenic to humans.
Thank you for this info.

What bottled water is safe?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Their brand of drinking water is just filter water freom a city and offered in mnay other brand names. Spring water is often the highest in bacteria has tested.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,969,600 times
Great Value is okay, but I miss the old Sam's Choice. Their raisin bran was probably the best ever and the bottled water was also good, considering I can't usually stand plain water.

The other thing about store brands is that chains often make more money off them than the national brands. Evil*Mart's (sorry, I'm a union member) national brand prices are sometimes so good I'll cross the invisible picket line and cherry pick some really cheap items, because I know they're not making any meaningful money off my visit. (An example is Kikkoman Soy Sauce- a bottle is something like $2 cheaper than at Kroger, and there are several others I frequently get.) As store brands go, I typically prefer Aldi, Trader Joe's, or Kroger's Private Selection (or Safeway Select when I'm on vacation). There's no need to buy national brands on 90% of what you find in the store, as far as I can tell. Aldi is also usually cheaper than Great Value, too.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,054,652 times
I find that I buy more and more brand name items. There's some things that are Great Value that I get,
like sugar or flour. I don't like their meat or produce, we go to Safeway for that, meds too.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 PM

607 posts, read 1,191,068 times
Quote:
In stores like Walmart you get stuff of great value, but don't expect anything to be a good quality. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
That's not always the case. I think they're (and by they're, I mean stores in general, not just Walmart) getting a lot better with increasing the quality of the off-brand products. For example, I bought a particular off brand of garbage bags at Dollar General with the tie strings. I just bought the smallest count box, because I didn't want to be stuck with a huge amount of product if they were of really bad quality. I paid a dollar for them and they were absolutely wonderful. I figured they would rip easily or when I went to tighten the strings, they would rip the bag open. Didn't happen. And I have put these bags through some major testing. I would fill them up with heavy objects and filled to the brim. Still no ripping. A very good quality garbage bag at a very cheap price. It's all that I use now. And that's just one example. There are many other examples that I could share, but I won't. Now am I saying all off-brands are perfect? No. It can be hit or miss. But if you experiment a little with different off-brands, you will find some really quality ones out there that are just as good, if not better than the name brands. I don't think it's fair to say such a sweeping statement when there are exceptions to the rule.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Things like sugar, baking supplies, seasonings... stuff which is not prepared in any way is pretty much the same everywhere.
The prepared food is what makes the difference. If this is a canned food, items from bakery, deli, frozen meals, dairy, ready to eat meals etc. Those are made from the least quality products, are full of fat, sugar,food coloring and other chemicals added to mask the bad taste and appearance. Just check the endless ( yeah, never simple ) list of ingredients: chemicals ( like fertilizer in bakery products), anal glands of a beaver in candies and sweets, crushed bugs as red coloring, beef fat in cookies, shellac commonly used as a wood varnish in the sprinkles, coal tar in red-colored candies, sodas and sweets, sand used as anti-caking agent, modified/processed disgusting additives, then fat, followed by sugar and trace of natural products.
Containers holding those items, made mostly in China leach all kinds of toxic chemicals. Products made in US have a little triangle with a number. You don't see those on any of the plastic products sold in Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart cares only about profit. They buy from the cheapest possible source cheapest products they can put their hands on. Wal-Mart only recalls products when it absolutely has to.
From lead containing toys, toxic jewelry, products causing fire hazard, chocking hazard, food poisoning you name it.
Would you expect to find lead in bibs? Those are recalled more than 8 months ago, but Walmart is still selling.
As a house or generic brand, the Great Value line does not consist of goods produced by Walmart, but is a labeling system for items manufactured and packaged by a number of agricultural and food corporations. Great Value is a "house" or store brand owned by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart takes bids from different companies to make great value products. The companies with the lowest bids get the contract to make the products.
Walmart, in particular has a history of dangerous products on their shelves.
Walmart use its size and clout to push suppliers to produce at a lower cost, forcing them to cut corners to meet Walmart's price demands and still make a profit. One of the areas that suppliers could cut corners is product safety. Walmart has repeatedly carried products that have been identified as unsafe or dangerous.
In conclusion: are Walmart private labels like Great Value, Equate, Ol'Roy good and safe to use?
I would not want to take chance...
So in other words, their no different than about 99% of all other companies out there.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
I'd rather buy 'Made in the U.S.A.'
Yea, good luck with that.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM

192 posts, read 378,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
The last time I shopped at our local Wal-Mart I noticed that their "Great Value" food products are taking over larger and larger sections of the store...Has anyone noticed this? Have you tried many "Great Value" food items? What do you think?

I dumped walmart long ago! Start shopping at kroger's, they SEND you coupons only for the items YOU buy! Does walfart do that?? No.
There's your answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products