U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM

28 posts, read 62,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
How do you feel about the new "square" plates? Do you think they will be around for long time? I try to avoid buying dishes that seem too "trendy." They might go out of style fast.
I think that square plates is a thing of our time. And I believe that they will go out of style in a few years. So if your the kind of person who replaces their dishes every couple of years, you did okay. If your a holder-on and you buy square dishes you may be sorry you bought them, especially if they go out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
I usaully buy good qaulty flatware ;so haven't really ever changed that. dishes I change more often as they wear or break etc.Of course ;our china is forever and we have replaced one piece tho form chip.Our silver we only use on occasions ;so lifetime.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,138,132 times
As i change my style, or change my room designs, i will buy new Flatware, and Dinnerware sets. Right now i am into Italian Tuscan look, we just remodled our home and added 600 more sq ft to it, so i am changing the look we now have a 3,800 sq ft single level home, i luv luv luv it. So as i remodel and makeover the kitchen, eat-in area, dining room and family room, i have changed my decor, have a lot of rustic, Italian, Spanish, tuscan flavors in my home, So i just had to have a new dinnerware set, to match, glasses, and flatware, i luv it, really did not need the excuse, but i luv my new dinnereware set, it is so pretty. Other then adding on to our home, every couple of years, i would get a new dinnerware set, flatware, every couple of years, when you use them each and every day, they go thru a lot.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,786,082 times
I used my first set of Corelle ware for over 30 years....very few pieces broke..(one platter that was dropped on cement on the way out to the bbq, one cereal bowl chipped and one coffee cup broke when dropped on the floor).. A new pattern finally came out that I liked, so I gave my old set to a friend and bought the new pattern about 4-5 years ago, (which is still being made, so I bought some for my daughter to save for her future last Xmas).....found matching glassware, too...platters, serving bowls, etc....

Corelle is thin and it stacks beautifully in less space than say, stoneware......and even though it can break, it very seldom even chips..... For everyday china, Corelle is first in my book and I'll never have anything else.....

I do not like patterns that are in the middle of plates....it takes away from the color and presentation of the food......

I have china for 12 that was given to us as wedding gifts 34 years ago...very precious to me.....always hand washed.....silver trim along the edges, simple white pattern on lt. beige.....

I also have the Christmas Tree Spode china.....service for at least 12 with all kinds of bowls, candy dishes, platters, punch bowls, etc...... The tree is in the middle, but it's just once a year, so I don't fret about it....

I'll never replace this stuff......I like it.

I think square plates are strange.....and so are square glasses.......

This being said about my dinnerware, don't get me started on my crystal goblets.....we have a huge bar and it's bulging....

Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM

32,246 posts, read 13,260,150 times
I had my wedding dishes (Franciscan ware) for over 20 years. About 1992 I started buying Fiesta ware, all different colors. Flatware I've had for about the same length of time. I can remember before I got married in 1971 saving and buying flatware from Fingerhut you guys remember them?

My Mom had ( Dad still has) the Franciscan ware rose pattern that she wanted me to get when I got married but my X talked me into Desert something.

I would love to buy antique Fiesta ware but it is so expensive!

I will have my dishes and flatware for the rest of my life.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 PM

990 posts, read 1,546,045 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the new "square" plates? Do you think they will be around for long time?
I keep being tempted to buy some because they remind me of my childhood in the 50's. Mom had green glass dishes and cups, all square. She quit using them after a little while, because her coffee looked like mud in those green glass cups.

I think I'm on my 4th set of dishes in 36 years, 3rd set of flatware.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,530 times
If you need to replace silver, china, or crystal, it's a good bet Replacements Ltd. in Greensboro, North Carolina, probably has your pattern! They also probably have your grandmother's dishes and your great aunt's water goblets. And they repair silverware. I've been a customer of theirs for many years, and they provide great service; really nice folks on the phone, too. They'll even help you identify your pattern if you don't know the name. They're a five-star kind of place.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,138,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauno View Post
I think that square plates is a thing of our time. And I believe that they will go out of style in a few years. So if your the kind of person who replaces their dishes every couple of years, you did okay. If your a holder-on and you buy square dishes you may be sorry you bought them, especially if they go out of style.
I have been seeing the square for some time now in the finer department stores, at least a couple of years. They say that everything that was once old, is now new again. I have seen the square in JC PENNEYS AND ALSO SEARS, AND WAL-MART AND ALSO TARGET STORES> Some of the nicer restaurants we go to also have had square plates for some time, not round, i think it really dpends on ones personal taste. Online sites that i visit also have had the square for some time, i have just assumed they have been around for some time now, since i have been seeing them for a couple of years, the square plates. Some people like round hamburgers, and then there are those who have to have the square.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM

990 posts, read 1,546,045 times
I have a Corning outlet store near me and they have many square Corelle dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products