U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM

11,970 posts, read 27,294,363 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal:

I called to get a price on tires this AM for my daughter's car. Over the phone, I was quoted $200.

My daughter got to the tire place and there was a lady at the counter. The lady brought the man to the front who quoted me. She asked him how much and he said $100. My daughter dropped her car off and paid for the tires.

About 5 minutes after she dropped her car off, the tire place was calling. They were calling to tell her they made a mistake on the price and it's supposed to be $200.

Here's my perspective on it. I realize they made a mistake, but if that was what they told her when she got there and what was paid for, they should honor it. After arguing with them for an hour and speaking to the owner on the phone, he would only give $30 off the $200.

I think this is wrong. I think they should honor the price she paid before she left. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 PM

6,706 posts, read 18,972,436 times
Honest mistake...no different then hitting the wrong key on a keyboard...hiting the wrong button on there cash register...wrong deposit number $$$ at a bank deposit.

That is why GOD invented the eraser.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,976,119 times
Agree with Steve. at least they had the courtesy to call and then knock off $30.00.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,973,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Here's the deal:

I called to get a price on tires this AM for my daughter's car. Over the phone, I was quoted $200.

My daughter got to the tire place and there was a lady at the counter. The lady brought the man to the front who quoted me. She asked him how much and he said $100. My daughter dropped her car off and paid for the tires.

About 5 minutes after she dropped her car off, the tire place was calling. They were calling to tell her they made a mistake on the price and it's supposed to be $200.

Here's my perspective on it. I realize they made a mistake, but if that was what they told her when she got there and what was paid for, they should honor it. After arguing with them for an hour and speaking to the owner on the phone, he would only give $30 off the $200.

I think this is wrong. I think they should honor the price she paid before she left. What do you think?

For you to hold the tire dealers feet the fire for the mistake $100 price when you knew you were quoted $200 earlier is plain and simple theft on your part.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
You were originally quoted $200 over the phone, and then the guy came out and said $100, then realized the mistake and you were charged the $200 you were originally quoted? If this is the case, you are way outta line. If you pushed it, I would have told the crew to remove the new tires, put your old one back on, and directed you to my most hated competitor.

OTOH, if you had been quoted $100 on the phone, walked in, been told $100, and five minutes later called and told that the price was $200, you should be on the phone to the BBB and local authorities reporting a bait-n-switch scheme.

The U.C.C. is very clear that people are supposed to conduct transactions IN GOOD FAITH. It appears from the way you described the situation that you broke that basic axiom.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
It is possible a manager or owner of the business would refund you based on the quoted price at the counter since that is the one most people would go by. However, if you feel the $200 was a fair enough price that you went there after checking around by phone, then maybe it's best to be happy with the $200 and be thankful for the $30 discount. People do make mistakes and it isn't as though they were trying to gouge you. They do have to realize though, that if the original phone call had not been made, to up the price even $70 after the fact, isn't normally acceptable.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM

11,970 posts, read 27,294,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It is possible a manager or owner of the business would refund you based on the quoted price at the counter since that is the one most people would go by. However, if you feel the $200 was a fair enough price that you went there after checking around by phone, then maybe it's best to be happy with the $200 and be thankful for the $30 discount. People do make mistakes and it isn't as though they were trying to gouge you. They do have to realize though, that if the original phone call had not been made, to up the price even $70 after the fact, isn't normally acceptable.
They did quote me on $200 the phone, but they quoted my daughter $100 when she brought the car there. She paid at that time too, so as far as I was concerned the deal was complete except for the work. Actually, the deal was for 4 tires and an alignment. After they put the tires on, they told my daughter they couldn't do the alignment b/c she needed other work done on her car totaling $250. She didn't have $250 to do the extra work so they said they can't do the alignment.

I've been going to this place for 8 years. I feel it's bad customer service the way that they handled it. I do appreciate the $30 off, but that just wasn't the point. I work in retail and I know the customer is always right, even if they are not. They know how long I've been going there and I don't know why they would want to lose a long time customer over this. I do realize ppl make mistakes. I do myself, but if you quote somebody a price, you should stand by it.

Therefore, I agree with you, it's not acceptable.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,857,588 times
I bought a set of Michelins at Costco. The price that they quoted me was the price I paid. I waited four years to put a decent set of tires on my minivan, and they're well worth it!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
"I work in retail and I know the customer is always right, even if they are not. "

Bullticky. If your customer is a pedophile and he wants your daughter, is he right???

Customers are not always correct, but they should be treated correctly.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 PM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I work in retail and I know the customer is always right, even if they are not. They know how long I've been going there and I don't know why they would want to lose a long time customer over this. I do realize ppl make mistakes. I do myself, but if you quote somebody a price, you should stand by it.

Therefore, I agree with you, it's not acceptable.
That's the attitude that makes working any kind of service job such a PITA.
I guess you have the right to take advantage of an honest mistake, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products