Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,311 times

Advertisements

Ok, we've all seen the woman who checks out at the store with a bulging cart and pays only .40 cents (on tv I may add, not in real life). But I don't get it.

The only coupons I have ever been privy to, sunday paper, mailer etc, are not for things I regularly buy. Just for the new stuff. Anyone have success with coupons??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,524,260 times
I use a lot of coupons for all kinds of stuff that I normally buy. We get double the amount at our grocery store so it pays off.....

Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,171 times
Yup it definitely helps...you just won't know how much or what percentage unless you go through the work of actually creating a spreadsheet to see how much you saved per item.

For example I buy Dannon Activia yogurt like every week or so. It's $2.79 for a 4pack when not on sale at the Pathmark by me. However once or twice a month there will be a $1 off coupon for a 4 or 8pack. So this chops off over a third of the price. I know it may seem like nickeling and diming here and there but if I can save anything off the grocery bill then I'll use it. Money saved is money earned

Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,010,910 times
They do save me money..anywhere from $10.00- $20.00 a week. the coupon mavens that walk out of the stores with $500.00 worth of groceries for $50.00 are buying on sale items with coupons and coupling coupons with specials for every item that offers a manufacturers discount coupon.
That means you would have to buy every bit of junk that the manufacturers offer in promotions. I can never save that much because I only buy specific preferred items every week.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Ok, we've all seen the woman who checks out at the store with a bulging cart and pays only .40 cents (on tv I may add, not in real life). But I don't get it.

The only coupons I have ever been privy to, sunday paper, mailer etc, are not for things I regularly buy. Just for the new stuff. Anyone have success with coupons??
Couponing can be tricky and the success of it really depends on where you shop and what you shop for. So many coupons are for national brands which are cheaper when you buy store brands. BUT....if you do have products you purchase regularly....there are a couple of things you can do to save money. (It may not be $100 a week....but you should save $10-15)

1. Go to the manufacturers website of the product you want. Most have coupons you can print from their site or they will mail you some.
2. Use a good coupon site like: (there are lots of good coupon sites)
Coupons
3. Look up the websites of the stores you shop at. They have their sales posted and many times they will post store use only coupons.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:

Couponing can be tricky and the success of it really depends on where you shop and what you shop for. So many coupons are for national brands which are cheaper when you buy store brands. BUT....if you do have products you purchase regularly....there are a couple of things you can do to save money. (It may not be $100 a week....but you should save $10-15)

1. Go to the manufacturers website of the product you want. Most have coupons you can print from their site or they will mail you some. Join their "club" and they email monthly deals and coupons.
2. Use a good coupon site like: (there are lots of good coupon sites)
Coupons
3. Look up the websites of the stores you shop at. They have their sales posted and many times they will post store use only coupons.
4. Check the Freebie Forum daily. The samples offered usually come with additional coupons that are good for a long time. PLUS, you can try the product before buying it.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,311 times
Thanks all!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
I'm going to send you the name of a website I learned since listening to podcasts. I don't know if we are allowed to publish other peoples' websites so I will pm them.

Maybe they will help.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,205 times
I do exactly what you do; get the Sunday paper, read the Wednesday mailers, etc. But I also subscribe to Shortcuts.com and subscribe to my local market's online coupons, many of which are electronic and can be downloaded to my club card. This is also true of the Shortcuts coupons; they are electronic. I run a list about every two weeks of the coupons that have been activated on my club card. If I need those items, then I get them. If I don't need them and probably never will, then I pass.

I have friends who joined coupon clubs that can get a grocery basket full of stuff for not much, but they are buying things they wouldn't usually buy just because they are on sale. Using the electronic coupons and Sunday paper coupons, I save usually between $25-$60 per trip (with average totals after coupons at around $100). I usually do a big shop every two weeks.

I also don't have space to store stuff. I don't have a second freezer to stock up on meats and frozen foods and don't have racks in my garage to store canned goods, drinks, etc. So getting 800 PowerAids for $10 doesn't make much sense to me.

My grandma has always coupon shopped and would take her savings and put it in a pot and that was their vacation fund. Believe it or not, they got to take a family vacation about once per year with her savings.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:

Success....hard to quantify....I clip coupons for things that I buy but like you I do not buy most of the things that coupons are issued for. Most of what I buy is fresh fruit, fresh veggies, lean meat, some dairy, etc. However I do clip coupons for things like soap, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. I then bring all coupons for those items to the store with me when I need those items and shop for the best deal. Sometimes the brand I have a coupon for is the best deal; sometimes it isn't. I have saved as much as 25% off a grocery bill using coupons and as little as 0%. I think it is worth it but I am not one of those professional couponers who can get a whole cart of food for next to nothing. I would not want to eat most of those things anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products