U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,060,172 times

Advertisements

Wow! You folks are lucky with your baggers! We always have to do it ourself (in NY and NJ - at least the stores I go to). I do as one other poster suggested and organize my foods on the conveyer the way I want them bagged (since I am the bagger!). I also bring my own bags to the grocery store (including insulated ones) which gets me .04 off for each bag I use - and you can fit so much more into them compared to the little plastic bags at the grocery stores. The only times I use their plastic bags is for the meat I purchased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,127,419 times
Quote:
I might add that a person should empty their baskt on to the conveyer belt with all meat/vegs/frozen etc in a group making the bagging easier for the working bagger.
I always do this, but it doesn't always work, they still do crazy things like put deli bags of lunchmeat in the same bag as a box of dryer sheets. Or I wind up with practically every item in its own bag. Raw meat with fresh fruit. The list goes on and on. This is what happens when the bottomline (cheapest labor) is more important than customer service (competent labor). I am lucky that there is one chain here that is pretty good and for the most part they bag it the way I send it down the line. The other chains, the bagging is so bad that I suspect that they are doing it on purpose.

I don't know of any local supermarkets that have a self-check out lane.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Wow! You folks are lucky with your baggers! We always have to do it ourself (in NY and NJ - at least the stores I go to). I do as one other poster suggested and organize my foods on the conveyer the way I want them bagged (since I am the bagger!). I also bring my own bags to the grocery store (including insulated ones) which gets me .04 off for each bag I use - and you can fit so much more into them compared to the little plastic bags at the grocery stores. The only times I use their plastic bags is for the meat I purchased.
I wish our supermarkets would fire their baggers and let us do it ourselves...and pass the savings on to us. If I have to rearrange all of my groceries as I'm putting them in the trunk, what's the point of having a bagger? I can do it just as fast as they can (and better). I have rarely seen a bagger who bags groceries both quickly and correctly. There is one guy at Sprouts who can fit half a cart into a single cloth bag; I don't know how he does it. He's the exception though!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM

609 posts, read 1,111,119 times
i wanna start with this - i do the best job i can at bagging grocerys. lol. since i bag them daily, its part of my job...if everything will fit fine in one bag, i ALWAYS ask the customer if its okay to just put it all in one bag. but this one time...this old lady bought two little cans of soup and a single assortment of earrings in a hard plastic case. i put them all in the same bag. she then turned to the other girl in my dept and asked for another bag for the earrings. and went to find a manager and lodged the biggest, rudest complaint ive ever recieved lol. her final sentence, according to my manager who didnt take it very seriously, was that i was a horrible human being and that i should work in the backroom away from the customers, because im not fit to be on the floor lol. all because i bagged her groceries wrong. i always hoped shed come back by my counter...i woulda put every item she had in a seperate bag lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM

11,176 posts, read 14,817,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I wish our supermarkets would fire their baggers and let us do it ourselves...and pass the savings on to us.
Have you tried Aldi's? ALDI - home page

Dallas stores: ALDI USA

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,401,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

I might add that a person should empty their baskt on to the conveyer belt with all meat/vegs/frozen etc in a group making the bagging easier for the working bagger. After all they have no idea what is coming from a fully loaded cart.

Steve
This is EXACTLY what I tell my wife every time we shop but she doesn't seem to get it. It makes things easier on you too since things are grouped together better and they are easier to put away.

I bring reusable bags and usually just do it all myself. It seems like the baggers in Charlotte are OK, though. I don't see nearly as many problems as I did in the DC area.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,141,963 times
That is precissely the reason why we bag our own groceries, at a self check-out. or go to a store we frequent, that we know they know how to bag the groceries. I don't usually give someone the opportunity to bag my groceries wrong, i end up telling them, how i want my groceries bagged, it does work, you have the upper hand, as i usually always do. And at Sams Club, we get boxes and bag groceries the way we want them.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,814,731 times
As a teacher of mentally handicapped kids, I would say there is absolutely no reason to treat them any differently than the rest of the workers. They are working and earning the money same as everyone else. If they are not doing it right and are asked to bag differently, that should be noted. They earn their money just like their co-workers and they are learning nothing when they are coddled and excused when doing the wrong thing. I would def. say something to the manager about re-training, handicapped or not. Part of what I do is check in on my kids in work programs and lots of kids will stick to a pattern and not deviate, but when different logical options are pointed out, they begin to incorporate them. Please do not be afraid of pointing out errors or ways to make things flow more smoothly just for fear of being called prejudiced, especially when that has nothing to do with your original concern.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 AM

990 posts, read 1,546,399 times
I remember when they trained baggers to pack things in specific ways, gee, I miss that.
Lately a couple of times I came home to find my tomatoes bagged together with canned goods. Now I tell them to hand me the tomatoes or to put them in with the eggs or under the bread and hotdog buns so they won't get squished.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 AM

398 posts, read 815,318 times
Canned goods and heavy items on the bottom, lighter stuff on the top. If many canned goods etc., more than one bag please because some of us do walk to the grocery store. chemicals and meats separated please. I told a cashier at walgreens once to save the planet and stop putting one item per bag except for heay stuff. You can do a roll of paper towels with the half gallon of milk.

At the grocery store I do my own checkout now and bagging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products