U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM

7,490 posts, read 6,579,476 times

Advertisements

Young people always roll their eyes at adults, its part of high school training. I ignore it.

My DH and I joke about this every time we shop! Even when we load all the heavy stuff on the conveyor first, they don't seem to get it.

We started helping the baggers, because we got tired of pulling flattened bread from under the bags of fruit -- or canned goods!

We also thank the baggers that are conscientious, loudly enough for the attending clerk and store manager to hear. Maybe someone will decide that it is an integral training issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 AM

38,023 posts, read 46,827,936 times
I think it's a combination of you are a little too demanding, and the stores should train their packers better. If you are just making them do arbitrary things that you've dreamed up, then they are right to roll their eyes, but if you really think they do not know the basic correct way to bag things, then you should tell the store managers. Have a list ready of the specific things the baggers are not doing.

I am lucky to have a grocery store where the baggers are very conscious of the way to bag things. It is because the store cares and focuses on customer service.

If I were you, when I talked to the manager, I would not let on that I shop at other stores, but that you might need to switch to "so and so store" because they bag better. A store is only as good as its management. There are so many mediocre grocery stores. I have just moved to a new area and must drive 20 minutes to get to a store that has the standards I require.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,631,628 times
I want as much in each bag as they can fit....I HATE it when they put 1 or 2 items in a bag, when 6 more could fit!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 AM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think it's a combination of you are a little too demanding, and the stores should train their packers better. If you are just making them do arbitrary things that you've dreamed up, then they are right to roll their eyes, but if you really think they do not know the basic correct way to bag things, then you should tell the store managers. Have a list ready of the specific things the baggers are not doing.

I am lucky to have a grocery store where the baggers are very conscious of the way to bag things. It is because the store cares and focuses on customer service.

If I were you, when I talked to the manager, I would not let on that I shop at other stores, but that you might need to switch to "so and so store" because they bag better. A store is only as good as its management. There are so many mediocre grocery stores. I have just moved to a new area and must drive 20 minutes to get to a store that has the standards I require.
I don't agree that packing frozen things together and putting heavy items on bottom and light items on top is "too demanding," nor is not wanting chips or bread crushed because they are squeezing too many items into too few bags. They can't even use the excuse that they are trying to be "thrifty" with their own bags because I bring my OWN BAGS!!!!!!!!!!

I only ask that they use common sense but apparently that is asking way too much.

I went grocery shopping on Saturday at one of the worst offending grocery stores for checking/bagging and the cashier was flinging my items across the scanner so quickly that all of the apples came out of the little plastic bag...a plastic bag that I had tied at the top...she tore it with her extra-long fingernails. I put the frozen stuff at the front of the belt with an insulated bag on top of it...can't get more obvious than that...the bagger totally ignored my bags and started stuffing the frozen stuff into one of the store's plastic bags. I was getting seriously irritated. The cashier was going so fast and creating so much of a draft with how quickly she was checking things out that she blew my pile of coupons off the little check-writing stand and did not scan two of them. I found them on the floor and had her scan them which elicited much eye-rolling.

This was the supermarket that I actually took the time to write to their corporate office to complain about. I've shopped there for a couple of years now and it has only gotten really bad in the last couple of months. It is HORRIBLE. If this happens again it will be the last time I shop there and next time I go in, I will be speaking to the manager before I put a single thing in my cart. This is seriously awful.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 PM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
I wish more people would take the time to write to corporate offices to complain. Not to make general complaint about how bad such and such place is but to make specific complaints about idiotic company policies.

My son worked at a grocery store for a few summers and they rated their cashiers on how fast they could get customers through the line. It puts pressure on them to just get things done as fast as possible and forget about taking a few extra minutes to do something right. They have to worry about did they meet their goals, and not worry about whether they squished your bread in the process.

You would think that the corporate hotshots would sit back and realize this is not a good way to keep customers, but I guess everything nowadays is all about the short term profit. Right now getting a lot of customers through in a short period of time looks good on paper. If they start losing a large portion of their customer base as a result of the poor service that results, what do they care, they'll be long gone with their pensions or severance packages before anyone really notices...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,697,188 times
The less I have to carry the better, so I put as much stuff as possible in no more than 3 bags. lol!!

Talk to the manager ?? You're gonna get someone into trouble over bagging the way you don't like ? WOW, that's mean, and miserable.

Why not simply handle it the easy way, "I like to bag my own groceries so you can go help someone else, thanks". Problem solved.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 PM

254 posts, read 372,880 times
I've noticed there are less businesses in general nowadays with quality customer service. Most people are there for a paycheck and could care less about your stupid groceries. I have watched a bagger literally THROW a jar of spaghetti sauce into our bag. Does it take a genius to figure out not to throw glass jars?
My fiance and I always remark to each other about how nice someone is when they treat us decently at a grocery store or restaurant, because it happens so rarely.
All I can say is that when you find these people who are nice, courteous and careful about their service to you, reward it greatly. Call them by name and tell them you appreciate it, it makes them feel good and encourages them not to let their standards fall to that of those around them.
When we get really good service from a waiter, we tip a pretty ridiculous amount and write thank you and put smiley faces on the receipt hoping that person realizes how valuable they are.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
To me its not a problem where I live. If you live where the checker bag the groceries that is another thing. But then i alwasy watch and they are gald to bag things separately when ask and do so anyway.I hate bagging my own groceries and always like to wacth the checkout because modern scans are often wrong.I suggest you shop at a store that has the groceries come direct out of the basket by the checker and they have paid bag boys as that is the best system. They don't have time at the big stores to wait for you to unload and then bag really. Its higher cost but it depends what you want to pay for really.I really don't let this kind of thng bother me and always shop accordingly;life is too short.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
The less I have to carry the better, so I put as much stuff as possible in no more than 3 bags. lol!!

Talk to the manager ?? You're gonna get someone into trouble over bagging the way you don't like ? WOW, that's mean, and miserable.

Why not simply handle it the easy way, "I like to bag my own groceries so you can go help someone else, thanks". Problem solved.
I don't think it's mean to complain about baggers giving me attitude when I tell them to please not crush my chips or bread and to please not destroy soft fruit like peaches and apples by throwing them or dropping them. That is a total crock.

The other day I went through the self checkout at the worst supermarket for bagging. I went through with a full cart on a Saturday. The pimply-faced teenager in charge of the self checkout tried to tell me that I couldn't use it because I had more than 15 items. I calmly and politely pointed out to him that every other line was 5-6 heaped carts deep and that I was tired of my groceries being damaged by careless bagging, so I was going to go ahead and use the self checkout and if he had an issue with it, he was welcome to bring the manager over and I would gladly explain to him my reasons for doing what I was doing. He left me alone after that.

When I got to the self checkout there were 2 kiosks available and nobody waiting behind me. I went as fast as I could. Yes, maybe it was wrong...but what were my options? Wait forever for surly service and damaged groceries, or bite the bullet and use the self checkout? Shop somewhere else? Ha! It's the same everywhere you go, pretty much.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
---It's the same everywhere you go--

Speak for yourself when you use the word---"you"--

I have no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products