U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times

Advertisements

Another "the rules are for everybody but me" because you find them inconvenient? I get a little bent out of shape if I'm in a rush and find the quick check out lanes taken up by people with a cart full of groceries, not to mention that teenager was just doing his job and you hassled him over it.

Just go to the manager already. You don't have to be ugly about it, or get anybody into trouble. Just point out that you've noticed that the bagging is a problem and that you think it would be great if the baggers had more training. Or mention that you would love to have the option to bag your own. The managers at the stores can't fix problems if they don't know what the problems are from their customers point of view.
Or go to Aldi's and you won't have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,849,386 times
I do what Steve suggests, with the sorting.

But it still isn't always the way that *I* would bag them myself, and I used to do that a long time ago. Actually, about 2001-2003, I sometimes got to do it again, but I was mainly a stocker. I prefer to bag my own, but lately they're already standing there with nothing else to do.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,849,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I remember when they trained baggers to pack things in specific ways, gee, I miss that.
Lately a couple of times I came home to find my tomatoes bagged together with canned goods. Now I tell them to hand me the tomatoes or to put them in with the eggs or under the bread and hotdog buns so they won't get squished.
Honestly?

The "specific" way they trained me to bag is to put boxes at each end of the bag, cans (like vegetable cans) in between them, and then put crushables like produce, bread, and eggs, on top of that. So you might have produce in five different bags.

I actually dispensed with the training method and primarily used common sense--how would *I* like my groceries bagged? Unless the customer had a specific request, which I accommodated. Or I might ask.

Like, "do you want this soda in a bag (20 oz. size)?" or "do you want this pack of gum/candy bar in a bag, or just in your pocket?" A lot of times they'd want those items left out of bags.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,984,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Another "the rules are for everybody but me" because you find them inconvenient? I get a little bent out of shape if I'm in a rush and find the quick check out lanes taken up by people with a cart full of groceries
If it's a "manned" express lane that's marked as X # of items or less, i can definitely understand someone getting angry. But, the self-checkout lanes in my area stores don't have signage indicating that there's a limit on the # of items.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,239,059 times
I don't think it is wrong to complain if you got bad service, whoever it is: baggers, associates, sellers, whoever.

If employees need the job and are treated with respect by the customer, the least they can do is be kind and accommodating.

If you are going to have an attitude to do your own job I can shop somewhere else, no problem.

I am a bit tired of stores where the customers are treated as if they should be happy to be served/assisted. Nobody is doing the customers a favor: no customers, no business, period.

If/when treating others with respect (always required from every person who has manners whether customer or employee), yes, the customer is always right.

And if I am not happy with the way the bagger is packing my groceries, I have no problem telling him/her I would rather do it myself, thank you.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If it's a "manned" express lane that's marked as X # of items or less, i can definitely understand someone getting angry. But, the self-checkout lanes in my area stores don't have signage indicating that there's a limit on the # of items.
U-scan at my grocery are for 20 items or less, and the OP states that the clerk told him/her that the lanes were for customers with 15 items or less and s/he insisted on using it anyway. Sounds like entitlement to me.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
U-scan at my grocery are for 20 items or less, and the OP states that the clerk told him/her that the lanes were for customers with 15 items or less and s/he insisted on using it anyway. Sounds like entitlement to me.
If there was signage that indicated a limit,then i agree that one should be courteous and follow the policy. However, if there wasn't any signage indicating a limit, then i would have told the clerk to go play with the carriages out in the parking lot.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:

----and the OP states that the clerk told him/her that the lanes were for customers with 15 items or less and s/he insisted on using it anyway.

Maybe if posted in bold , some posters will finally understand !

Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----and the OP states that the clerk told him/her that the lanes were for customers with 15 items or less and s/he insisted on using it anyway.

Maybe if posted in bold , some posters will finally understand !
Understand what, exactly? If i told you to go jump off a bridge, are you going to do it? If there isn't a sign indicating a policy, then there is no policy.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,951,446 times
I have never been ignored or disrespected like that at the checkout... i would have immediately contacted the manager..

I put my items on the belt in the order they NEED to be bagged... meat, frozen, produce, boxed, canned, chemical, etc..

Then i tell them to please use as much bag space as they can.. I hate buying 10 items and coming out of the store with 10 bags.
My suggestion to the OP is either a - contact the manager IMMEDIATELy or B.. stand there and RE-bag your groceries to prove a point. (especially if you can't/won't shop somewhere else)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products