U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 PM

6,705 posts, read 18,972,436 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed the FAST CHECK out stands with a 10 or 15 items or LESS.

That many items could be the norm in many cases.

How about the person with 2-3 items in their hands nerviously standing wanting to get out quickly.

I one time had a checker tell me (can't recall if it was the 10 or 15 items) that I had too many items in my cart. NO problem I said...just ring up the limit and I will just go to so and so mkt and buy the other items I can't buy here...she rang up the whole cart.

Some times we rush into a mkt for one or two quick items and do not care to stand in a long line. That is why gas station/quick mkts get the business they have, even if we have to pay a higher price for an item.

I was in the trade for a long time and do understand the complexities that are prevalent.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

What do I do? And am I the ONLY one?
Not at all. I love the idiot checkers who do not close the top of the "frozen food bags"; or the ones who drop the bananas in the bag instead of placing them in; or better yet, the ones who put heavy things ON TOP of bread, hamburger buns, etc. But I especially love the checkers who feel compelled to put ALL OF YOUR CANNED goods in ONE bag which then weighs about 50 pounds and INVARIABLY BREAKS before you get it home.

People who work in grocery stores, for the most part, either do not know better or, if they do, don't care. The objective is to keep a close eye on things and speak up, which you have been doing.

I am not the least bit bashful about rebagging over-heavy bags or moving produce around to suit me. If they don't like it, tough noogies.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---It's the same everywhere you go--

Speak for yourself when you use the word---"you"--

I have no problem.
Well good for you. Either you don't care about how your groceries are bagged or your local supermarkets are decent. Either way, congratulations. Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Another "the rules are for everybody but me" because you find them inconvenient? I get a little bent out of shape if I'm in a rush and find the quick check out lanes taken up by people with a cart full of groceries, not to mention that teenager was just doing his job and you hassled him over it.

Just go to the manager already. You don't have to be ugly about it, or get anybody into trouble. Just point out that you've noticed that the bagging is a problem and that you think it would be great if the baggers had more training. Or mention that you would love to have the option to bag your own. The managers at the stores can't fix problems if they don't know what the problems are from their customers point of view.
Or go to Aldi's and you won't have to worry about it.
First, I'm hardly the only one abusing the self checkout policy. Second, I would never contemplate doing so if the store would adequately staff its checkout lanes on BUSY Saturdays. Third, I did this when two of the four lanes were empty AND there was nobody waiting in line. I went very fast and nobody had to wait too long. Fourth, the last time I shopped there the item limit sign had been removed. So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
U-scan at my grocery are for 20 items or less, and the OP states that the clerk told him/her that the lanes were for customers with 15 items or less and s/he insisted on using it anyway. Sounds like entitlement to me.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If there was signage that indicated a limit,then i agree that one should be courteous and follow the policy. However, if there wasn't any signage indicating a limit, then i would have told the clerk to go play with the carriages out in the parking lot.
I will do so from now on, or I will do as I threatened and take my business to a store that appreciates it.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well good for you. Either you don't care about how your groceries are bagged or your local supermarkets are decent. Either way, congratulations. Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for this.

First, I'm hardly the only one abusing the self checkout policy. Second, I would never contemplate doing so if the store would adequately staff its checkout lanes on BUSY Saturdays. Third, I did this when two of the four lanes were empty AND there was nobody waiting in line. I went very fast and nobody had to wait too long. Fourth, the last time I shopped there the item limit sign had been removed. So...

See above.

I will do so from now on, or I will do as I threatened and take my business to a store that appreciates it.

----Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for this---

I'm sure they do. They make cards to send to everyone.

When I find one dedicated to a person who just can't be pleased when grocery shopping, I'll send it to you .

Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 AM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for this---

I'm sure they do. They make cards to send to everyone.

When I find one dedicated to a person who just can't be pleased when grocery shopping, I'll send it to you .
Grocery shopping has gone from a dull chore to a frustrating ordeal around here. It is severely irritating for people to treat me like they're doing me a favor by allowing me to buy groceries. All I want is to be treated with dignity and respect. By default I am always polite and courteous to retail workers unless I'm given a very good reason to be otherwise. And given how I see people behave in stores every day, I am not even a very demanding customer. I just want to be treated with courtesy and not have my groceries ruined. Clearly, that is asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products