U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:39 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,814,731 times

Advertisements

CA-Jewel,
I don't think that was the point being made. I think the idea was that the crap is cheap, but stuff, regardless of origin, if it is a brand name, will be the same anywhere, so might as well buy it there and spend better money on other things not mass produced and shipped to Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 AM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is not true! Sears, J.C. Penny's K-Mart, and Target, all sell so much of the same thing, things made in China all of them. Tell me one thing not made in China any more, most furniture is all made over seas, and if your happen to find American Furniture, be prepared, to pay a hefty price tag. I happen to go into a Super Wal-mart, that is very huge, clean, and well stocked, very nice employees, and ready to serve you. Tell me please, what is not made in China any more, but to say that only Wal-mart carries items from China is not the truth. Everything has a made in China tag attached.
From all products made in China Wal-Mart order the cheapest possible junk. Junk that falls apart before you get it home, junk that is toxic, unsafe in every possible way. Cheap - to " save customers money". If you are pleased with their products, go ahead, spend your money. Me? No, thank you!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 AM

7,775 posts, read 13,228,722 times
Elnina, what I find strange is that, except for their Great Value generic labels, I have seen just about every brand that is in Walmart in other stores. And, yes, I will spend my money there. Nearly all my clothes come from Walmart and I have some I've been wearing for years. I bought my lawn mower and weed eater there. 6 years with the mower and no problems. 3 years with the weedeater. We're getting ready to go camping. Our tent is from Walmart as well as most of our camping gear. We've been using the tent and gear for a couple years so far with no problems with it.
I'm like California-jewel. The Walmarts around here are nice and clean and have everything we look for.
My wife's uncle is like you. He whines and cries every time somebody mentions Walmart. He remarried a couple years ago. He rode with his wife to the store last summer and she turned into the Walmart parking lot. He told her there was no way any food or anything, from Walmart was coming in his house. She informed him that almost everything coming in his house since they got married had come from a Walmart and, if he didn't want to set foot in a Walmart, he could sit in the car. It was only 92 outside. He reluctantly went with her and ended up spending almost more than she did from the non food part of the store.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 AM

2,533 posts, read 6,517,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Remodels usually take 3-4 months to complete... sounds like an excellent opportunity to check out other stores in your area.

They Know that they will be getting complaints during these remodels by people who feel the need to bring up the obvious... "you have to break a few eggs to make an omlette"...

Doing a remodel on a house is the same really... stuff everywhere, material stacks, etc. but when its done it looks really nice. Same with roadwork.

Might sound a little harsh but, your "complaint" is like one grain of sand on a beach. Irrelevant.
They just completed remodeling Lake City FL super store,took about a little over 2 months,was total disarray but now they are catching up on stocking.Much better arraigement mainly wider isles along with reconfiguration,store had areas added to for many years,no complaint,still like there prices.
They sent us $5.00 welcome money card!!

Last edited by DanBev; 06-12-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,671,509 times
walmart owns their own ships that they send to china........
i wish that more stuff was American made and bought....
we have only ourselves to blame for that.....

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,021,783 times
MADE IN CHINA products are NOT all the same! I lived in Uganda and anything made in China was pure rubbish. Any appliance didn't work and broke down soon after purchase. So there is 'made in China' for African countries, and I suppose a 'made in China' for Walmart.

I don't live in the US but visit often and I stopped buying at Walmart because of how crappy they treat their staff, especially the women.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM

731 posts, read 1,397,999 times
I don't know if they are going to renovate our local Walmart or not, I don't see why if they are. To me, remodelling would drive the costs up instead of down, nothing even in Walmart is going down in prices.

Now, here is what I think is goofy about Walmart. There was some media issue about young college age people drinking beer and somehow using a ping pong ball. Well, Walmart discontinued ping pong balls but kept the beer on the shelf.

I shop a lot at Walmart, but I always shop clearance for clothes.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,076,045 times
The folks I know who have shopped at WalMart for years are starting to discover that almost everything sold at WalMart is trash. The prices are not low on most products, just a few get you in the door and I have noticed that there is not much to choose from lately. Sam would be rolling in his grave if he saw what his creation has become. Look at what I have become from shopping at Wally-world, self portrait below !

Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 AM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Elnina, what I find strange is that, except for their Great Value generic labels, I have seen just about every brand that is in Walmart in other stores. And, yes, I will spend my money there. Nearly all my clothes come from Walmart and I have some I've been wearing for years. I bought my lawn mower and weed eater there. 6 years with the mower and no problems. 3 years with the weedeater. We're getting ready to go camping. Our tent is from Walmart as well as most of our camping gear. We've been using the tent and gear for a couple years so far with no problems with it.
I'm like California-jewel. The Walmarts around here are nice and clean and have everything we look for.
My wife's uncle is like you. He whines and cries every time somebody mentions Walmart. He remarried a couple years ago. He rode with his wife to the store last summer and she turned into the Walmart parking lot. He told her there was no way any food or anything, from Walmart was coming in his house. She informed him that almost everything coming in his house since they got married had come from a Walmart and, if he didn't want to set foot in a Walmart, he could sit in the car. It was only 92 outside. He reluctantly went with her and ended up spending almost more than she did from the non food part of the store.
OK I am willing to agree, that some stuff you see there you can also buy somewhere else and since I am not whining about other places, and probably would even buy it in other places - then is ok to buy it at Walmart too.
I know that I am somehow exaggerating the whole thing, but Walmart do try to buy a lots of real bad stuff of the lowest quality, toxic, and unsafe, and I do have issues with it.
Lots of low income people go there because of the low price, spend their hard earned money just to end up having to buy it again, because many of the poorly made items have real short life.
That's what make me angry - the concept of " saving customers money" while in reality is not, because they have to buy it again - and spend money twice.
When you go and check web sites about customer complaints, Walmart gets the most. Same with recalls - 58 recall of Walmart products since the begining of 2008! Walmart use its size and clout to push suppliers to produce at a lower cost, forcing them to cut corners to meet Walmart's price demands and still make a profit. One of the areas that suppliers could cut corners is product safety. Walmart has repeatedly carried products that have been identified as unsafe or dangerous by reputable consumer safety organizations. Now tell me about "customer care"!
But who is going to think that their cheap plastic containers leech harmful substances, that jewelry contain cadmium, kids toys contain chemicals that can turn toxic when ingested (children can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures).
Food is packed in the cheapest containers possible that also leech toxic chemicals into it, that cribs can fall apart and injure babies (3 recalls in 4 months!), electrical products pose fire hazard etc...etc...
Some Walmart's $4 drugs are coming from Indian Company whose products have been banned in US and Canada( d/t contamination, falsification of records and submitting false information to the FDA)
WakeUpWalMart.com: Items Recently Recalled From Wal-Mart's Shelves
I could go on and on with that...

It is truly worrisome that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. received test results in February showing cadmium in these jewelry lines but has continued selling the items. That they did get warning about baby bibs containing lead, but choose to keep it quiet and continued to sell that stuff. Those products were available exclusively at Walmart!
The CPSC has charged Wal-Mart with inaccurately informing consumers about the dangerous nature of the products for sale on its shelves. Wal-Mart has frequently withheld information about recalled or unsafe products, failed to get them off store shelves and even worse, about informing customers of defective products, and Wal-Mart stores around the country continue to sell recalled products without informing customers.
Just as Walmart uses its size and clout to push for lower prices from its suppliers, Walmart could instead push its suppliers to produce impeccably safe products.
Till then every Walmart should post a sign on their doors:
" SHOP AT YOUR OWN RISK, WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR PRODUCTS"

Beside that: a report prepared by Citizens for Tax Justice, shows how Wal-Mart avoided billions of dollars in state taxes since 1999.

Now, tell me why I suppose to love Walmart

Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM

990 posts, read 1,546,399 times
Most manufacturers have been cutting corners for years.
Nothing ticks me off more than buying what I think is a quality product, because I'm paying more for it, only to find that it shrank after one washing, or it began malfunctioning after only a few uses. At least at Walmart I know what I'm getting for the price.
People who complain that everything they ever bought at Walmart was cheap junk obviously don't know how to shop properly. One can find quality products as well as cheap junk in Walmart's aisles.

Not all Walmarts are the same, I know some are cleaner, nicer, and better stocked than others. Personally, I dislike Macy's. In the past dozen years I've rarely bought anything there. I just can't find things I like that are worth the price. I used to do most of my "department store" shopping at Filenes and Walmart. I miss having a Filenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products