U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know that I am somehow exaggerating the whole thing
Yes, you are.

Quote:
Walmart do try to buy a lots of real bad stuff of the lowest quality, toxic, and unsafe
Hogwash. They're don't "try" to buy products that will knowingly harm their customers - it's bad for business...

Quote:
That's what make me angry - the concept of " saving customers money" while in reality is not, because they have to buy it again - and spend money twice.
Do you have any specific examples? How does Wal*Mart differ from other big box stores when it comes to the merchandise they carry (again, please be specific)?

Quote:
When you go and check web sites about customer complaints, Walmart gets the most.
They're the largest retailer in the world. It's pretty simple to understand that the company with the most customers is going to be the company with the most complaints. Overall, though, they must be doing something right, since they're holding onto the 'largest retailer' title year after year after year...

Quote:
Same with recalls - 58 recall of Walmart products since the begining of 2008!
So? Wal*Mart doesn't manufacture anything... but they do sell hundreds of thousands of products. You're saying that if only 58 of those products are recalled in two and a half years, it's a bad record??? That would be a GREAT record! Not that your number is accurate, anyway. You should research your information better before throwing out hard numbers like that.

Here you go - direct from the source: Walmartstores.com: Product Recalls

Let's take a look at some of the items listed there...

Salmonella - Alfalfa Sprouts - Multi-state
Wal*Mart doesn't grow produce. Grown by Caldwell Fresh Foods. Also sold to Trader Joe's and through the wholesale channel.

Sampco, Inc., a Chicago, Ill. establishment, is recalling approximately 87,000 pounds of Imported Beef Products
Wal*Mart doesn't raise cows...

McNeil Consumer Healthcare Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Lots of TYLENOL(R) Arthritis Pain 100 Count with EZ-OPEN CAP
Tylenol... Exclusive to Wal*Mart? Why aren't you railing against every drug and grocery store about this?!!

Proctor & Gamble cat food...
Hoover vacuum...
General Electric coffee makers...
Conair hair dryer...
Zyrtec...
Targus power adapter...
etc...

Still want to use the insane "recall" argument to bash Wal*Mart? It's particularly hilarious because Wal*Mart doesn't manufacture anything!

Quote:
Walmart use its size and clout to push suppliers to produce at a lower cost, forcing them to cut corners to meet Walmart's price demands and still make a profit.
Blame the company that's producing the goods, if that's your concern. Wal*Mart is doing what every business does - requiring a volume discount. If I wanted to buy 10,000 widgets, I would certainly try to get the best deal on them - wouldn't you?

Quote:
One of the areas that suppliers could cut corners is product safety. Walmart has repeatedly carried products that have been identified as unsafe or dangerous by reputable consumer safety organizations. Now tell me about "customer care"!
Again, these products are the same products that everybody else carries. Same brands, same models... Why single out Wal*Mart? Oh, that's right - because you've been conditioned to do so.

Quote:
I could go on and on with that...
I wouldn't, if I were you. It's just about the lamest argument ever put forth by the Wal*Mart bashers, and using it just demonstrates your inability to look past the propaganda and examine the actual substance of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM

39 posts, read 20,188 times
Anyone go on Peopleofwalmart? Funny stuff right there?

Walmart: The best store for trailer trash and ghetto people.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 PM

It's amazing how much bigotry shines through when people discuss Wal*Mart. Yet, for some reason, it's acceptable in that context. In any other discussion, those same people would be shouted down for being the obvious bigots that they are.

Can anyone explain that double standard?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM

39 posts, read 20,188 times
What I said might be true. Go to peopleofwalmart.com and see. Lot of funny people there.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM

990 posts, read 1,546,045 times
Now you see, I went to peopleofwalmart and checked out the pix. I've never seen anyone like that in any of the three Walmarts near my town. I have seen a few tourists strolling the streets of Kennebunkport who looked like that, though.
Quote:
It's amazing how much bigotry shines through when people discuss Wal*Mart. Yet, for some reason, it's acceptable in that context.
I've often thought that myself.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
To all you Walmart lovers - enjoy your shopping! Be happy with your purchases.
I hope you know what you're doing. Some people go for quantity others are interested in quality. There are stores to fit everyones taste. You have yours and I have mine.
Thanks God for choices

Old 06-12-2010, 10:52 PM

14,415 posts, read 24,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's amazing how much bigotry shines through when people discuss Wal*Mart. Yet, for some reason, it's acceptable in that context. In any other discussion, those same people would be shouted down for being the obvious bigots that they are.

Can anyone explain that double standard?
For years, the UFCW has sponsored websites and have paid employees and members to post anti-Walmart posts on message boards. When I was a moderator on other boards, we would find that the a number of posters would post against Walmart. And not surprisingly, the posters were two or three people coming from the same ICP.

The UFCW is desperate to organize Walmart as full-time employment at the Big 4 chains - Krogers, Ahold, Supervalu and Safeway has dropped a lot as they are losing market share to non-union, more competitive chains like Walmart, Aldi, Tesco, and Trader Joes. In response to the competition, most of the large chains are NOT hiring full time employees in favoe of more part-timers.

A recent Wall Street Journal article has documented that three major supermarket chains - Ahold, Supervalu and Safeway are funding "local opposition to Walmart through an organization called Saint Consulting

Rivals Secretly Finance Opposition to Wal-Mart - WSJ.com

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Some people go for quantity others are interested in quality. There are stores to fit everyones taste. You have yours and I have mine.
Right, and an Apple iPod bought at Wal*Mart is somehow of lesser quality than one bought elsewhere. Same with products made by Sony, Toshiba, LG, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, ViewSonic, Procter & Gamble, Bayer, Kraft, etc...

So you have more expensive taste than I do, apparently, even though our homes are filled with many of the same goods.

Congratulations - you get the "Brainwashed Anti-Wal*Mart Pawn" award for Monday, June 14, 2010. Can you send a photo so we can put it on the wall? Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 AM

40,554 posts, read 24,887,466 times
Quote:
OK I am willing to agree, that some stuff you see there you can also buy somewhere else and since I am not whining about other places, and probably would even buy it in other places - then is ok to buy it at Walmart too.
I know that I am somehow exaggerating the whole thing, but Walmart do try to buy a lots of real bad stuff of the lowest quality, toxic, and unsafe, and I do have issues with it.
Lots of low income people go there because of the low price, spend their hard earned money just to end up having to buy it again, because many of the poorly made items have real short life.
That's what make me angry - the concept of " saving customers money" while in reality is not, because they have to buy it again - and spend money twice.
When you go and check web sites about customer complaints, Walmart gets the most. Same with recalls - 58 recall of Walmart products since the begining of 2008! Walmart use its size and clout to push suppliers to produce at a lower cost, forcing them to cut corners to meet Walmart's price demands and still make a profit. One of the areas that suppliers could cut corners is product safety. Walmart has repeatedly carried products that have been identified as unsafe or dangerous by reputable consumer safety organizations. Now tell me about "customer care"!
But who is going to think that their cheap plastic containers leech harmful substances, that jewelry contain cadmium, kids toys contain chemicals that can turn toxic when ingested (children can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures).
Food is packed in the cheapest containers possible that also leech toxic chemicals into it, that cribs can fall apart and injure babies (3 recalls in 4 months!), electrical products pose fire hazard etc...etc...
Some Walmart's $4 drugs are coming from Indian Company whose products have been banned in US and Canada( d/t contamination, falsification of records and submitting false information to the FDA)
WakeUpWalMart.com: Items Recently Recalled From Wal-Mart's Shelves
I could go on and on with that...

It is truly worrisome that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. received test results in February showing cadmium in these jewelry lines but has continued selling the items. That they did get warning about baby bibs containing lead, but choose to keep it quiet and continued to sell that stuff. Those products were available exclusively at Walmart!
The CPSC has charged Wal-Mart with inaccurately informing consumers about the dangerous nature of the products for sale on its shelves. Wal-Mart has frequently withheld information about recalled or unsafe products, failed to get them off store shelves and even worse, about informing customers of defective products, and Wal-Mart stores around the country continue to sell recalled products without informing customers.
Just as Walmart uses its size and clout to push for lower prices from its suppliers, Walmart could instead push its suppliers to produce impeccably safe products.
Till then every Walmart should post a sign on their doors:
" SHOP AT YOUR OWN RISK, WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR PRODUCTS"

Beside that: a report prepared by Citizens for Tax Justice, shows how Wal-Mart avoided billions of dollars in state taxes since 1999.

Now, tell me why I suppose to love Walmart
You realize that Wal-Mart Watch and Wake-up Wal-Mart are not concerned citizen websites but websites set up and maintained by unions who are making a concerted effort to unionize Wal-Mart and part of their campaign against Wal-Mart is to nurture a negative public image against the company????

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Quote:
OK I am willing to agree, that some stuff you see there you can also buy somewhere else and since I am not whining about other places, and probably would even buy it in other places - then is ok to buy it at Walmart too.
Selective reader, huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Right, and an Apple iPod bought at Wal*Mart is somehow of lesser quality than one bought elsewhere. Same with products made by Sony, Toshiba, LG, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, ViewSonic, Procter & Gamble, Bayer, Kraft, etc...

So you have more expensive taste than I do, apparently, even though our homes are filled with many of the same goods.

Congratulations - you get the "Brainwashed Anti-Wal*Mart Pawn" award for Monday, June 14, 2010. Can you send a photo so we can put it on the wall? Thanks!
You should obtain from personal attacks and try to read posts more careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products