U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM

3,683 posts, read 6,127,697 times

Advertisements

There's a book on this site that you can buy to help you find items made in America.

How Americans Can Buy American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM

12,483 posts, read 15,538,537 times
I read somewhere that there is still a lot of manufacturing done in the U.S. It's just stuff you never see in the stores. After all, none of us buy airplanes, military hardware or medical equipment. I wonder if we could convince companies that we would pay the extra cost to get U.S. made goods.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times
Thumbs up For yourself and gifts ~ Spice it up

Spice of life and great tasting products.

Coyote country

Spices Seasonings Chili Peppers Gourmet Seasoning Co.

Here’s another great place to find unusual items for cooking. They can also make great gifts for those who seem to be hard to find for. Spices that we’ve bought for ourselves and friends have all been excellent. One of my favorites is the Chili Mix and the Enchilada Soup, also the Tortilla Soup are to die for. This is another product that we’ve bought over the years and found at the Arts & Crafts Fairs locally in the area.

I enjoy the products and like the idea of supporting American made businesses and start up companies. Supporting American Made is keeping our money at home in the states to offshore, helping our economy is important.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 AM

6 posts, read 23,025 times
The electronic is cheap in china , some of them is ok ,but some of them is not good , like here , is every cheap .Red laser pointer (http://www.1world1price.com/template/detail/displaydetail.html?itemId=47545 - broken link) , this is every good .

Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I read somewhere that there is still a lot of manufacturing done in the U.S. It's just stuff you never see in the stores. After all, none of us buy airplanes, military hardware or medical equipment. I wonder if we could convince companies that we would pay the extra cost to get U.S. made goods.
I'm not sure American's would really be willing to step up to the plate and buy products that cost 4 times more than what we are currently paying for foreign goods. To make it worse, the economy is kind of sucking...so people are even more strapped.

At some point though....it would be nice if we could turn this around.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,249,094 times
Women can pee standing up with Go Girl | Go Girl Female Urination Device

If you're a woman that spends a lot of time outside (camping and whatnot) then this product is perfect for you.

It basically allows you to pee standing up without the pee running down your leg.

They are made in the USA.

I went to the mall yesterday before work and purchased some t-shirts from Romancing The Stone (also called Earthbound Trading Company in some places) that were made in the USA. They are having a sale on them at the moment. Normally the shirts are $15 each but they were having a 2 for $10 sale.

My toothbrush is made in the USA. It's also made from recycled plastic. The company allows people to ship back the toothbrushes to them in a pre-paid package. Preserve: Nothing wasted. Everything gained.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM

70 posts, read 90,352 times
A couple I knew went on an Alaskan cruise. They were told by one of the local craft vendors that although their crafts were "Made in America" by American artists, the artists still bought most of their supplies wholesale for cheaper from China. So, you may have the craft item "Made in America" but not completely.

I can't blame the artist for trying to find the best value for their supplies and to make a fair profit. I love buying crafts knowing the products were made by hand from a master craftsperson. You may pay a bit more, but they are still displayed around my home and add to the beauty!

Lynn

Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times
Thumbs up American made goodies from New Mexico

I can’t believe how much I missed this wonderful location for green chilies. We had visited the area many times in the past years and the last time there found this wonderful little restaurant to enjoy some great cooking.

This weekend we took the last jaw of green chilies out of the cabinet for use with a pork roast that we cooked. Now it’s time to drive to Chimayo NM for more or simply place an order to be sent home.

Check out the history and products they have on the website. Also there are several very interesting links and information about this area of N.M.

Leona's Restaurante

American Made good cooking items.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,370,679 times
This is a great thread, Aksarben. Thanks for starting it.

I always buy American whenever I can. And I don't mind paying 4x what you'd pay for the same type of thing in 'bargain' stores, or even some upper-end stores. If I can't afford it, I wait until I can. You'd be surprised what you really don't "need."

I'm big on labels and knowing where the ingredients of products come from. Originally this started with processed foods and its ingredients, but I moved on to everything from there!

Some of the more well-known down-home country type stores have nearly ALL of their items imported from China or Korea. Being a label-checker/investigator is a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
want more links??
Yes, if you would please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It basically allows you to pee standing up without the pee running down your leg.

My toothbrush is made in the USA. It's also made from recycled plastic. The company allows people to ship back the toothbrushes to them in a pre-paid package. Preserve: Nothing wasted. Everything gained.
LOL, I do spend a lot of time out of doors and I love that GoGirl! It'd be rather helpful at times ~

Yeah, I buy the same toothbrush. Trader Joe's sells them, or used to. Love the different colors too.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Wicked Felina: I will try to find more links for you
I noticed that there are plenty of US made products. We not always notice them because they tend to be slightly more expensive, and maybe in lesser selection than the Chinese crap. Many, many items made in China do not have printed/stamped country of origin ( especially those chemicals leaching plastic ware - try to find the "resin identification code").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products