U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,299,671 times

Advertisements

LOVE this thread! Thank you OP for starting it.

I recently bought a pair of New Balance running shoes that are Made in the U.S.A. Most comortable shoes ever. They are the 993's...

Yikes. Sorry that photo is huge.

And remember if it says "USA" instead of "U.S.A." it could be from Usa, Japan and not U.S.A. as in United Stated of America! ....... Just Kidding! That was a rumour going around for awhile, but according to snopes it's false. Still think it's funny, though!

We like to go to Thrift Stores. We recently bought a typewriter at a St. Vinnie's thrift store. Not only is it Made in U.S.A, but it's totally energy efficient, too! You don't even plug it in! Uses way less energy than even the most energy efficient laptop.... though we can't figure out how to sync the wireless router to it... (it didn't come with the user's manual.... that's the only thing about shopping at the second-hand shops...)

On a more serious note, though... somebody mentioned something that is important. Even when you buy something that is manufactured here, it's often manufactured using foreign parts. Parts from Asia are almost always cheaper than parts made here. You really have to be careful. We bought a couch recently that was made just 45 minutes north of where we live. The wood used in the couch was sourced from local wood which was recycled from torn down buildings and fences. But the filling in the cushions - came from china. We would have never known unless we asked. Otherwise... we would have been blind consumers... saying we had an all American couch. We do love our couch, but we know the truth about it, too.

Same goes with cars. When we bought our Volvo... we were told it was made in Sweden. But on many of the individual parts, you'll see the various countries named where the specific parts came from. So even though something is "made" somewhere, much of its parts are often made somewhere else and shipped off to where the whole is put together.

Just like artificial Christmas trees. We've tried to locate artificial christmas trees that were made in the U.S.A. because we learned of all the toxic chemicals (lead, especially) in trees made overseas. We did find some Christmas trees which were "made" here, but with materials which they imported from China. We could not find a single Christmas tree that was made with parts that were 100% American or safe (free of harmful chemicals). (We would prefer a live tree but our youngest son is allergic to them...)

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 08-11-2010 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: adding gigantious photo of most comfy shoe ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,370,679 times
Thanks, elnina. It's delving into quite a maze when one tries to figure out where the heck anything comes from or is made. After looking at your graphic, I now know I am drinking coffee from a cup that will take hundreds of years to degrade! It's nearly impossible to get away from this stuff. (I checked into the different types of polymers).

Haggardhouseelf : New Balance are my favorite, although I don't think every pair is made in the US. But those 993's are made in US; I love the pink ones! I have two pair (not pink) and the are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever had. They not only fit perfectly, but last for years.

I often go to thrift stores and more recently, estate auctions. It is amazing what one can find. Actual quality workmanship. I want one of those old typewriters, lucky you for finding one.

I checked most of the links posted and found a few great companies (a lot were these phony 'patriotic' sites that were out of business). I found sleeping bags and heavy winter coats (not the fashion kind, but the kind that keeps you from freezing to death) that will last decades. Spendy, but it's worth it in the long run.

Christmas Trees - This link is buried in one of the links already posted. You might check this out; sounds good, anyway. They invite people to call them with questions. Real Looking Artificial Christmas Trees By Mountain King At U.S. Christmas Tree

Pet Lovers: I've questioned companies a lot about dog food. So far, I've found only two companies who own their own processing plants, who disinfect their equipment, purchase only US ingredients (one does include a few ingredients from New Zealand) and do not rent out their processing machines (to other companies who use lesser quality ingredients) which strongly reduces the possibility of cross-contamination. The Call of the Wild and Bench and Field. Both have dog and cat food and both are available through Amazon.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,771,114 times

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,167,599 times
For vehicles, you can check the VIN to see the Country of Origin. The first digit is the CoO. the most common in the USA are::

1, 4 & 5 = United States
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
6 = Australia
9 = Brazil
J = Japan
K = Korea
L = Taiwan
S = England
VF = France
W = Germany
Y = Sweden
Z = Italy

If you buy some big rah-rah USA truck with country & western singers playing guitars praising american manufacturing and american flags plastered all over it, but the VIN starts with 3, the truck was made in Mexico, not the USA, despite the american car name on it.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,246,858 times
^^ That's interesting to know. Also we need to "rethink" all the options that are car/truck. Many items (most) are not made in USA, we only assemble the parts that were made in other countries.

Keeping American dollars in this country is the most important item to our nations recovery!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,754,717 times
check out Tom Bihn if you need a "messenger bag" ...

TOM BIHN Bags - Laptop Bags, Laptop Backpacks, Laptop Cases

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,370,679 times
More stuff:

Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Products for Home and Family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products