U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,717,350 times

Advertisements

.... but, what they are saying is that there are companies that send you unordered merchandise because you are supposed to say "no thanks" before you get the offer to reorder something .
This should definitely be illegal.
I guess that means all of those "free trial" things that are offered fall into this category. I always suspected this which is why I never ordered any of them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
I saw examples of this in both a bakery and a cafe.

There was a sign stating-----" if we forget to recommend xxxx , you get it free"

I feel sorry for the workers.

They probably should have added-------" and our waitress/clerk gets fired "

Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM

11,133 posts, read 14,800,760 times
Tacking suggestive selling onto an employees performance rating is a terrible thing IMO. I've seen customers badgered by overeager (or maybe terrified) employees.
Used to be upselling was actually more of a customer service, reminding customers to buy film for their cameras, batteries for their gadgets, maybe an air freshener to go with the car seat covers, that kind of thing. Maybe suggesting a slightly higher priced model of an item that has a better overall value. Good for the store profit and helpful to the customer.
Now it just seems to be about getting more items into the customers cart at any cost. How ridiculous is it to have to push a new $2 candy bar at a customer who is buying diabetic supplies or diet pills?!!
I hate forced anything, it's phony and stupid, and not about the customer at all.

And the forced cheeriness at some places? Pffft, I went online and let the folks at Ci-Ci's know I thought it was about the dumbest thing I had ever seen and that I didn't appreciate it at all. Told them I'd rather go somewhere where the employees were able to maintain a courteous demeanor and keep their dignity. Haven't been back to a Ci-Ci's since. I wonder if they still force the staff to holler out that stupid spiel to everyone as they arrive and again as they leave?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,398,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Tacking suggestive selling onto an employees performance rating is a terrible thing IMO. I've seen customers badgered by overeager (or maybe terrified) employees.
Used to be upselling was actually more of a customer service, reminding customers to buy film for their cameras, batteries for their gadgets, maybe an air freshener to go with the car seat covers, that kind of thing. Maybe suggesting a slightly higher priced model of an item that has a better overall value. Good for the store profit and helpful to the customer.
Now it just seems to be about getting more items into the customers cart at any cost. How ridiculous is it to have to push a new $2 candy bar at a customer who is buying diabetic supplies or diet pills?!!
I hate forced anything, it's phony and stupid, and not about the customer at all.

And the forced cheeriness at some places? Pffft, I went online and let the folks at Ci-Ci's know I thought it was about the dumbest thing I had ever seen and that I didn't appreciate it at all. Told them I'd rather go somewhere where the employees were able to maintain a courteous demeanor and keep their dignity. Haven't been back to a Ci-Ci's since. I wonder if they still force the staff to holler out that stupid spiel to everyone as they arrive and again as they leave?
It seems now this is happening a lot of places. We had dinner at Cracker Barrel recently and were badgered into buying candy bars by the cashier. On another no too long ago visit to Home Depot I was greeted by an employee at the front entrance peddling a 10 in 1 gadget . Good grief..

Old 06-18-2010, 04:09 AM

6,022 posts, read 13,689,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

seriously, I worked at a job where we had to upsell items that had NOTHING to do w/ the products we sold. imagine going into a Best Buy and having the cashier ask you if you'd like to add a bag of dog food w/ your order or some motor oil along w/ your Justin Beiber CD. seriously, it was along that line and it was a WELL known fact that the crazy items we were being forced to upsell were items our manager got on the cheap somewhere. so keep an eye out if you go to specific store that tries to upsell you a product that doesn't seemingly fit into their product line-chances are the company got it on the cheap and are trying to make a profit (ever notice how even Petsmarts, Home Depots, and clothing stores all sell soda and candy at the register now? stuff like that is cheap to get and can bring in a decent profit).

I HATE POS (point of sale) upsells. it's one thing if, for example, I'm browsing the perfume aisle of Sephora and and employee walks up and recommends a another brand or some lotion to go along w/ it. I don't mind that sort of upselling b/c in some cases like these, the employee will actually spend time and help you out w/ suggestions (LOVE going into a bookstore and getting employee recommendations, even if they are trying to get you to buy a hardcover book in the process). but I hate having some surly cashier trying to push some random "item of the week" on me or asking me to sign up for clubs/cards/charities/ whatever.

I used to work at Old Navy and my job was to literally stand outside the dressing room and assault customers and ask them to sign up for the ON credit card. hated that job w/ a passion. if I wanted to push items onto people, I would have become a sales person, not a cashier. note these are two completely different jobs that require different skill sets. most cashiers do not want to be pushy sales people. I'm a horrible sales person and couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst if he didn't want to buy it! I would never make money at a commission based job, hence why I pick cashier jobs.

the reason so many people are annoyed by cashiers is b/c many are being asked to do something they either don't want to do or just aren't skilled at doing: actively get a customer to spend more money.

and I agree about the forced cheeriness. I would bet good money that at every register, in a location a customer can't see, there's a sign telling the cashier to !!SMILE!!! and a set of cheery questions to ask the customer ("did you find everything you hoped to find" "you did? how marvelous!!" ). I don't want a grumpy cashier, but I also don't want one w/ a fake, painted smile.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:37 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
slightly different form of upselling--------

Years back several places would run an ad with a coupon for a very low price on an auto alignment.

Once you made an appointment , they would then come back later with an estimate of balljoints, tie rods, etc totally well over $500 .

The service guy would have a sad look on his face as he told you they won't do the alignment unless you do the work they recommended.

Many of my friends took that coupon in and none of them ever got the alignment unless they agreed to those costly replacements/repairs.

After my sister got ripped off, I took the coupon and went to the 2 places ( Sears and Firestone).

They told me the same ( no alignment unless I agreed to those costly replacements)
I laughed at them cuz my car was less than 2 years old.

Crooks !

Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM

2,784 posts, read 5,398,103 times
We dined at outback this weekend and the server tried to cajole us into buying a certain beer and appetizer. If we did, he would get points towards an Ipad. We politely declined. Where does the madness end ?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,011,966 times
I used to work for a car rental company starting out I worked in reservations and part of our job was to upsell if we failed to do this it was counted against us on our performance review. I HATED doing this I felt like a telemarketer. I hated trying to upsell the customer something more than what they originally called for. This was a bone of contention between my supervisor and myself for a long time. I would rather take the hit than fast talk someone into something they don't want. OH yeah forgot to add I hate it done to me as well if I want something extra I will ask for it thank you very much.

Last edited by tookey; 06-26-2010 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: added to post

Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 AM

24,322 posts, read 33,567,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I used to work for a car rental company starting out I worked in reservations and part of our job was to upsell if we failed to do this it was counted against us on our performance review. I HATED doing this I felt like a telemarketer. I hated trying to upsell the customer something more than what they originally called for. This was a bone of contention between my supervisor and myself for a long time. I would rather take the hit than fast talk someone into something they don't want. OH yeah forgot to add I hate it done to me as well if I want something extra I will ask for it thank you very much.
When someone's pushing upsells to me I generally assume that they're doing it because they're being told that they have to. So I politely decline. I only stop smiling if they keep pushing me. I keep thinking "What part of no do you not understand?"

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,538 times
As a salesperson, it sucks to be bullied to get cards opened. When I worked for a high-end retailer, they would literally go as far as to lie to the customers in order to get a second card out of them. First, they would have the customers open a store card. Then after a couple months, managers would push you to "upgrade them" to the Mastercard. When customers would say, "I don't want a Mastercard" the managers (over my shoulder) would say, "It's only a Mastercard if you use it outside our store" and then continue about the almost worthless freebies associated. It is a Mastercard with a limit like any other Mastercard you have but with the store's logo on it. It was embarrasing and it was taking advantage of people. I protested up the chain of cammand and was not well recieved. This is the main reason I left that field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products