U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 PM

58 posts, read 30,834 times
ElleTea, from some of your older posts I thought you loved it there? Have you changed your tune?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,342,704 times
Phoenix is great! I love it!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,642,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
i know were like 13 pages deep into this thread... but heres some comments. i dont really care, and by that i mean i dont at all, about entertainment. ive been to a bar maybe 50 times since i turned 21, and that was to catch bulls games when my cable was broke. i never been to a club before, and go to a concert maybe once a year. for me, the meat and potatoes of my entertainment is the outdoors through and through, and reading books. i hope to start a small business when i get there. truth be told, i just dont mind quiet at all. but i still like major cities. thats part of what attracts me to phoenix.... its probably the largest city in the US with THAT MUCH wilderness around it.

so what you guys think? sound a lil more my speed based on those facts?

PHX is what you're looking for. You can explore the Western and Southern desert half the year and the high country the other half in nice weather. You can go anywhere anytime if you're not bothered by hot or cold. All 4 of North America's deserts meet in the state. It's the meeting point between North American and Central American flora and fauna. AZ has the largest continuous Ponderosa Pine forest in America. There's pine forest covered mountain tops with 45 miles of downtown Phoenix, cactus forest along the Beeline highway that rivals Saguaro Nat'l Park, native and Spanish ruins, ghost towns, and several lakes, rivers, and streams surrounding the Valley. It's one of the best metros for the outdoors because of the variety. Not Denver, Seattle, or some of the other Western cities known for being "outdoorsy" can match the number of nearby biomes and empty wilderness so near the city.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM

83 posts, read 28,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
PHX is what you're looking for. You can explore the Western and Southern desert half the year and the high country the other half in nice weather. You can go anywhere anytime if you're not bothered by hot or cold. All 4 of North America's deserts meet in the state. It's the meeting point between North American and Central American flora and fauna. AZ has the largest continuous Ponderosa Pine forest in America. There's pine forest covered mountain tops with 45 miles of downtown Phoenix, cactus forest along the Beeline highway that rivals Saguaro Nat'l Park, native and Spanish ruins, ghost towns, and several lakes, rivers, and streams surrounding the Valley. It's one of the best metros for the outdoors because of the variety. Not Denver, Seattle, or some of the other Western cities known for being "outdoorsy" can match the number of nearby biomes and empty wilderness so near the city.
this. you sir, cacto, have answered all my questions in one damn post... ahahahaha. basically eveything you mentioned is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear about the city. but, like some poster already pointed out (i cant remember who it was, and i cant quote it since im writing this from my phone, but kudos to you) it has the basic big city amenities i like, namely pro sports teams, cultural and ontellectual resources, decent (if limited) public transport, and that big-city energy. thanks to my own experience there, and what you just laid put for me.. id say im sold. yall can stop bickering now!! aha

thanks to everyone for your insight. see you in Phoenix July 2016. if anybody wanna meet up and do spme hiking then, holler at me

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

992 posts, read 295,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
When I first moved to Phoenix in 2002 (my first stay of roughly 10 years in the city) a lot of the complaints you've seen on here were true: A lot of arts/cultural amenities were lacking (for a metro area of over 3 million at that time), the freeway system was a far cry from what you see today, light rail talk was just get started, downtown Phoenix was desolate compared to what you see now, Tempe was still figuring out how to develop the town lake area, and for the most part the people came before the stuff (if you come they will build should be the saying).

In the last 12 years a lot has changed, here's some common arguments you'll hear and why I think they don't hold water:

There's no culture: There's tons of it, subscribe to a few of the local artist threads on one of the various social media sites or just look under things to do on the major news websites. There's always something going on, year round.

It's too hot _______________ (fill in the blank) to live here, to hike here, to have a walkable city here, to take the train here... etc...: I think most of this comes from people who haven't lived here or who wouldn't embrace any of those things no matter where they lived. I can promise you the pain I've felt walking around Boston in January is just as bad as the heat in Phoenix, and going out after the sun sets (around 4pm in the winter by the way) just makes things worse. The weather in Phoenix is pretty damn easy to deal with for the most part. I don't work outdoors, but I am an avid cyclist spending up to 40 hours a week outside at the various preserves around Phoenix. I can ride comfortably about 10 months out of the year in Phoenix by getting up early or riding at night. There's not a lot of areas in this country you can accomplish that.

It's full of chains and that's it: Just silly and couldn't be further from the truth. Move to East Mesa and Queen Creek and you're missing culture? You don't say, same will happen to you living 40 miles west of NYC as well. Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, and Glendale have some killer foodie spots if you look around for a little bit. You can find everything from Lobster Rolls to Amazing Pizza in this town, and a big reason for that is all the non-natives who have brought their local recipes with them. I, personally, dig it.

It's brown all the time: If you come here expecting a beach or a dense deciduous northeastern style forest, you might want to head in for a checkup. Phoenix is none of that, it's not a substitute for San Diego nor should it try to be. If you can't see the natural beauty in the nature surrounding Phoenix it's probably not for you, I find it incredibly intriguing and the fact that we can be in the middle of a large mountain preserve minutes after leaving the office is pretty unique. You won't find a lot of that in most other major cities. The geography really makes Phoenix a cool place, to me.

All places have drawbacks and the true problems most people bring up in Phoenix are education, quality of jobs, crime, and a conservative mindset. You seem to know a lot about most of those things already and if you can work with it I think Phoenix is a great area to be. But to each their own, as someone close to me always says the road goes both ways, if it doesn't work you'll have certainly experienced something vastly different than IL....
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area