U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM

755 posts, read 666,925 times
Default Louisiana college -- signs of trouble ahead?

A news article recently appeared in the Shreveport Times regarding the abrupt resignation of J. Michael Johnson, dean of the Louisiana College, a faith-based law school to be based in downtown Shreveport.
There has been little said "publicly" as to why Johnson quit, the "official word" is that he had a great job offer elsewhere. I had lunch with a couple lawyer buddies recently and they seem to feel there are some questions as to how well the LC board of trustees have been managing things. First the school was to be located in the McNeil Bldg I believe but the planners didn't take into account their renovation desires vs the old bldg structural limitations. Next choice was the old Federal Bldg (Joe D. Waggoner bldg). which was owned by now convicted IRS tax dodge Harold Rossbottom. This bldg has been vacant for at least 20 years, no one wanted to touch it because of all the asbestos, the cost of remediation is sky-high. This fact alone makes one wonder why anyone would want to locate a school in such a place. It would be better off demolished.

The talk on the street is that there have been several delays in getting the college off the ground due to construction setbacks, mostly because of asbestos and allegedly there has been some question as to the capabilities of the contractors to deliver. Lots of head scratching going on. The law school announced it would open in downtown Shreveport in the fall of 2009 and then changed the date to fall of 2012. There's no building and not a single student enrolled. And no mention of when the new building will be ready, leaving many more questions than answers. Doesn't look or sound good, at least to my lawyer friends.

For more info, here's the newslink: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...l-dean-resigns
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,931,461 times
Looks to me like the law school is going nowhere fast. The Waggonner building is not good for anything anymore what with the numerous repair issues and asbestos. The resignation of the dean and no one (?) to replace him makes me think the school may never get off ground. It takes a fortune to start a school of that magnitude.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM

755 posts, read 666,925 times
I'm beginning to wonder if this was one of those "let's toss this idea around and see if it sticks" as far as getting development grant funding and underwriting. There are a number of things I could also elaborate on as to some of the "characters" involved but that may be frowned upon as bashing. I can't but wonder if some folks are going to get in a bind with all these deals they are involved with. Can't help but think it is not going to end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City