Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to Barksdale in the middle of my son's junior year of high schools. Appreciate and positive or negative info on high schools in the area. Have not yet decided if we will live on or off base.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:32 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Parkway HS in South Bossier has a good rep. I don't really know much about Bossier HS, Airline, Benton or Haughton.
You could always look at the private parochial schools in Shreveport like Loyola or St. Josephs as they get good marks academically.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,215 times
South Bossier is a great place to start. Parkway is a really good school. If you live on base you will be zoned for Bossier High...not really a top pick. Living on base has its advantages, unfortunately the schools aren't one of them. Off base you could look into Parkway (71112), Haughton (71037), Airline (71111), and Benton (71006). All of those are great schools.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM

93 posts, read 225,941 times
Hi, I know that I'm a *bit* late into this thread, but I hope you see this.

We've recently relocated to Barksdale AFB and my daughter just started her Senior Year. We live in base housing and my daughter chose Parkway High School to attend. Bossier Parish allows military dependents that are high school students a Free Choice Option to select another high school if they wish.

You can get information regarding this from the School Liaison Officer with the Services Squadron or Bossier Parish has a Military Student Transition Consultant that can help you with the process. Both of these contacts where amazing in making sure that my daughter had the information that she needed to choose the school she wanted to attend, to make sure that she would graduate on time and to complete the paperwork necessary.

One thing to note, Bossier Parish high schools are on a block schedule with a unique twist - they attend four classes a day - and only four subjects in a semester. Meaning that they complete an entire years class in one semester. They complete four classes first semester and four classes second semester. With that in mind, I would definitely advise contacting the Military Student Transition Consultant as you will be moving mid-year.

I didn't provide links to the School Liaison Officer or Military Student Transition Consultant because I'm not sure if that is allowed here. If it is, I will post them so you can find them easier or please feel free to DM me and I can provide them for you.

Please also feel free to ask any questions you may have, I would be glad to help if I can. PCSing with a high schooler so close to graduating can be a bit stressful.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Great info for military families transitioning to BAFB. You could probably put a link and see if the moderator would allow it.
They'll delete it if it's not.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM

93 posts, read 225,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Great info for military families transitioning to BAFB. You could probably put a link and see if the moderator would allow it.
They'll delete it if it's not.

This link is on the Barksdale AFB web site and is the article that was released in 2011 announcing that high school students living on base could choose their preferred school:
Barksdale high school students can now enroll in high school of choice

This link is to the Barksdale AFB Services page and is the contact information for the School Liaison Officer:
Barksdale Services :: Force Support and Services - School Liaison Officer

This link is for the Bossier Parish Schools Military Student Transition Consultant:
NICERC | MSTC

This is really just if you have to or choose to live in housing.

We heard very good things and looked into Airline High School, Benton High School and Haughton High School in addition to Parkway High School. We spoke with and emailed with people from all four schools to get information about the various programs and activities before my daughter selected the school she wanted to attend and everyone at each of the schools was helpful, kind and responsive to our questions.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday about the free choice option if you live on base: Base housing residents are zoned to attend Bossier High School and that is the only high school that they provide transportation to and from. If you exercise the free choice option, you have to provide your own transportation. There are quite a few teens that I know of that attend Airline High and Parkway High, so carpooling is not something that is impossible to find if necessary.

Again, mods, I'm sorry if the links are not allowed. I just thought they would be helpful to the OP and to others that may find this thread in the future.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
No prob!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post

This link is on the Barksdale AFB web site and is the article that was released in 2011 announcing that high school students living on base could choose their preferred school:
Barksdale high school students can now enroll in high school of choice

This link is to the Barksdale AFB Services page and is the contact information for the School Liaison Officer:
Barksdale Services :: Force Support and Services - School Liaison Officer

This link is for the Bossier Parish Schools Military Student Transition Consultant:
NICERC | MSTC

Thanks great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City