Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times

Advertisements

Looking at KTBS list of crime and craziness - its is absurd!!!!!! If I was not living here and considering some place to move to, and used info from a cities various local web news, then yes, this would not be an ideal choice.

It's insane how so many people are now days so crazy. !!!!!! We need the firmness of policing of which existed in earlier times in society. Because people have gotten to the point they think they can do anything at anytime. It's like a massive loss of civic and social respect, there is a proliferation of guns to the point that people don't even think anymore, far too often the first impulse is grab a gun just start shooting.
People attack and kill each other over the stupidest things, and it does not matter if it's a family member or casual acquanitance. People are more "kill happy" than ever.

The general mentality of a society can be viewed by their social decorum, some may not like that factor being stated, but It is easy to see when and where people take time to present themselves in public with social decency and some level of neatness, they also exhibit a higher level of manner management toward and with one another. They seem to manage their squabble or avoid squabbles and certainly are not so prone to make a public display of billigerence.

Today, black or white people who won't comb their hair, wear pajama's and sag their clothes or wear things that are way beyond socially apporiate or even self respecting, and they parade around with not a care about the insult to their dignity the image they present demonstrates. These are the first ones to claim they've been disrespected, when they first disrespected themselves to come out in public, unmaintained and unprepared for public presentation.

Loud talking, sloppy dressing, saggin clothes, and general disregard for their public image and presentations whether they are black or whites, I try to give them "no attention", because I don't care for them to think a glance is an endorsement of their silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Looking at KTBS list of crime and craziness - its is absurd!!!!!! If I was not living here and considering some place to move to, and used info from a cities various local web news, then yes, this would not be an ideal choice.
No, it wouldn't. Boots on the ground experience mirrors the news.

It's insane how so many people are now days so crazy. !!!!!! We need the firmness of policing of which existed in earlier times in society. But you can't have it, because everyone there wants to whine about how "tough SBC/BPD" already are, lol!Because people have gotten to the point they think they can do anything at anytime. It's like a massive loss of civic and social respect, there is a proliferation of guns to the point that people don't even think anymore, far too often the first impulse is grab a gun just start shooting. Guns have nothing to do with it. It's a people problem. Proof is Chicago. DC. You know, places guns are illegal that have insane murder rates...
People attack and kill each other over the stupidest things, and it does not matter if it's a family member or casual acquanitance. People are more "kill happy" than ever. No they aren't. Murder Rate Drops to 33-Year Low - ABC News

The general mentality of a society can be viewed by their social decorum, some may not like that factor being stated, but It is easy to see when and where people take time to present themselves in public with social decency and some level of neatness, they also exhibit a higher level of manner management toward and with one another. They seem to manage their squabble or avoid squabbles and certainly are not so prone to make a public display of billigerence.
I agree.

Today, black or white people who won't comb their hair, wear pajama's and sag their clothes or wear things that are way beyond socially apporiate or even self respecting, and they parade around with not a care about the insult to their dignity the image they present demonstrates. These are the first ones to claim they've been disrespected, when they first disrespected themselves to come out in public, unmaintained and unprepared for public presentation.
Yep!

Loud talking, sloppy dressing, saggin clothes, and general disregard for their public image and presentations whether they are black or whites, I try to give them "no attention", because I don't care for them to think a glance is an endorsement of their silliness.
It got so bad in Shreveport that they had anti-sagging and anti-this and anti-that clothing laws out in public! That's what I call "a clue" about an area, lol!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, so we are getting a better understanding, Just want to make sure you know that "all people" create crime, good that we agree on that aspect.
I am not going to make any excuse or try and cover up for the craziness of the black crime, because it is purely insidious. it is overtly in the news all too frequently of shooting and stabbings, I think its the dumbest thing ever. Yep, blacks account for 70-80% of the arrests in the SBC area, last I checked. Facts not hate...

I can tell you I did a lot of walking in Bangkok a few years back, not even knowing the place I walked many miles safely on a daily basis, I found myself going through some very rough looking places, but no one bothered me. Sorry I can't say the same for Shreveport. So I agree with you on that matter, one certainly has to know the community before striking out on a walk. I use to walk in this community, but the demographics have changed and a lot more people have come from various areas, I don't feel as safe and comfortable walking anymore, One reason is people seem to like owning too many Pit Bulls, I don't so much have a fear of the young people walking around, they don't seem to have increased the risk in the area. but I don't like the fact that I don't feel these dogs are secured away from public spaces well enough. I carried a lot of the time in SBC, and still didn't want to go certain places. It's just not "worth it" to go down certain roads. Take the long way. You can't shoot someone for throwing rocks and bottles at your car...

I can't stand to see sagging pants people in my areas or any place its just simply pathetic. I wish all business would deny them entry!!! until they have no choice but to pull up their pants.
Agreed, but really, that's pretty minor. Why did you move there, again? Why have you not left!?

I also don't like the increase in litter that was not here 10 yrs ago when I moved here. I see people trash conveniences store parking lots and other parking lots, and that was not the case 10 yrs ago or even 5 yrs ago. It has happen in the last 3-4 yrs. I dunno. The level of filth seemed rather constant, aside the spike Katrina provided, when I lived there. It pisses me off, because it does nothing but bring the property values down. people parking in places that no one parked before. Just simple stuff that should not exist. A Police officer who lives in the area told me I talked to while getting coffee in the mornings, told me its a mix of both blacks and whites who are on the lower income levels who simply just don't seem to care, have moved into the area. I noticed the last time I walked I looked at the number of houses that are not as well kept as when I first moved here. It's very frustrating !!!!!!

In California where I lived, one could walk for miles early morning, late evening and it was simply a peaceful walk.

We have some very bad areas here, certainly some I would not care to go walking in. Even when I moved here people gave me all kind of warning even about riding my motorcycle out in the rural areas. So it was warnings about some black areas and some warning about rural white areas. I made sure to get a permit for self protection.

I don't like the way a great many things are not done here that could easily be done better. Although there are some very nice areas that are well kept and very low publicly reported crime. I don't like how some have decided to go to areas where people maintain their homes and area and break in peoples cars, I think its a shame and I do wish for those people to be caught.

As to LBJ, I was speaking about his claim of want to have a War On Poverty, now who that was aimed to benefit, who knows. But it was a good idea, that just did not pan out.
It was aimed to get poor Blacks (He had another word for them...) to vote for him, as well as to destroy their communities. It worked, and it worked.

I know the racial issue in the country as well as those within the city. To me its insanity, just straight out pointless.
Here's a clue...I have not HAD a racial problem since I moved. Everyone where I live now somehow manages to get along. I've had Blacks invite me to their table in crowded restaurants. My two best friends are Indians. Their White wives are great people. You know? We just don't have Shreveport problems, here...it's not "this country". It's "select areas that really suck". You lived in Cali...you know this.

This means simply that crime is crazy and it is committed in insane acts by all ethnicity of people.

As for Shreveport, Yes... I want it to be better and try to have some optimism about it, but I see the reality, sometimes while driving around, I look at some things and realize that "one simply can't fix it", and some of the things are purely insidious and one can't fix stupidity either. Some areas the only thing that will fix it is to bull dozier it over.
So move, because the dozier isn't coming.

Since I live here, I'd be wrong not to want to have some optimism, whether it will evolve to become better I don't know, but I do know that a great many areas have a great many challenges. I look at areas that are simply expanding ghetto's, I also know the ravages of poverty has a grip on some of it to an absurd point.
I don't like to see young people sitting in groups in a yard in the middle of the day, or crowded around a porch in the middle of a weekday. I don't like to go downtown and see the people who have turned the benches at the court house into a day home, or the area by the library into a day sitting areas, when they are not there to read or learn, they just have made it a homeless gathering place. I use to ride my motorcycle to all areas, to see what the city was like in full scope when I moved here, and some areas were simply beyond belief in the deterioration.
It will take a massive amount of industry and money to fix a great many parts of the city, which is not likely to happen any time soon.
With family who is aged and sickly here, so I know I'm not going anyplace, so I have to think in terms of improvement potential in some ways.

Off Topic- I saw the news this morning, of 16 people injured in New Orleans, and its frustrating to see gathering of black people, where it seems all to frequently to turn into a gun battle in the middle of a crowd. It is purely INSANE.
I recently read about some incidents at the Shreveport Fair, where black people turned it into a violence fest.
Stuff like that I find absurd. I am all for arresting and locking people who do this stuff up.
Sooner or later you'll get tired of pissing into a gale force wind, haul your piece back in, and walk away. How much urine ends up all over your trousers before you figure it out, is up to you.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:17 PM

I have elderly family who is not healthy here.
I'm ok, I know where to go and where not to go, I'll just keep the optimistic eye open.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I have elderly family who is not healthy here.
I'm ok, I know where to go and where not to go, I'll just keep the optimistic eye open.
Why not get them to re-locate? I am working on getting my Dad and his wife out of SBC. He is much less adaptable than I, but after he retires in a few years, he's out. He has finally agreed with me that it's a dump. He grew up there, had a very small but close circle of friends within his church, etc. and so didn't really "see" everything I was seeing, but it's finally gotten so bad that he's written it off.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Why not get them to re-locate?
Not an option

The best scenario for me is to seek ways to be and become contributory to improving somethings. I think many things within reason can be reasonably improved. It's just the nature of life and the human capabilities.

That by no means implies anything is easy.

I don't know any place that can go well beyond a decade without a high maintenance focus and stay in a maintained condition. We went through one cycle, where the intent was to move commercial centers from one section to another, and then the next cycle the focus was on debt reduction. We now have an administration focused on trying to get backlogged things completed and off the books, while addressing current problems and issues.

I don't think anyone is unaware of the issues and challenges as it relates to infrastructure, business, industry, and crime as well as the expanding ghettos of imporvished areas. It's not something one can dismiss or pretend not to see.

As we move forward, there has no choice but to become tougher on crime, focus on vagrancy, and definately we as well as many cities need to find ways to address "public decorum" !!!!!!
Condition as to Industry is a big challenges and we have to find better and more focused ways to market the industrial attributes which exist here.

((We can't do that till we get some work on crime underway and progressing- we need to improve image standards as it relates to the way the media tunnel vision in on crime. They have not gotten away from the old method of "if it bleeds it leads" mentality.
Currently, people are tired of the news and its focus on Middle East and their daily habits of blowing up something and people, people shooting and stabbing each other, people killing families, randomly killing others and all the insanity promotion the media give too much credit to such things. ))

When the state cut funds for film industry, its our task now to figure out how to manage that process and find new ways to help promote the industry to remain functioning.

We have a Parish Wide School system, and the city and the schools need to 'talk more", but not just talk but be willing to work together. I don't know if the City Council has ever sat down with the School Board and had a workout session.

There's many things which can be done, along with "let's go see what other prospering cities are doing", "let's go see what city who have turned themselves around are doing".

Life is life, no one gets out of it alive, so while we are here, we simply need to expend our engeries on seeking ways to improve things, beause we can all complain about many things, walk away, run away and many other options which exist.

Truth and fact is, America as a whole has suffered for the past 50 yrs on a spiraling down cycle. We need to be aware of it, what was the catylsis and what is needed to begin the works to become a better nation over-all.

It's wake up time - All Across America, - even our news media and our congress spend far too much time focused on the Middle East and dumping money there, rather than look at this nation and what it happening across its lands to its States, its Cities and its Citizens.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:20 AM

The news lately is filled with too many people "killing others" from Shv/BC and Texarkana and etc. I don't know what has invigorated the ignorance to this level, and there seems to be nothing going on to curb it.

It's purely insane. There are many things which do not help the situations any at all. why so many people are on a conflict pathway as if they are seeking out conflict is to me insanity.

I use to like walking in my areas, but now, I just don't care to take off as I once did, the area changed in demographics and not for the better. Even now too many people have dogs that are of the noted vicious brand, and there are far too many who no longer try to make their properties look the best they can. It pisses me off, because they are eroding the value investment I made in buying my house, as well as bringing the community down. I've never seen so much littering in this area as I have in the past few years.

What is wrong with people? is a big question !!!!!????!!!!!. Why want to rush to an area because its well kept and then bring your habits that take it downwards to resemble some of the crap areas people come from and bring with them the same habits that destroyed the community they came from.

I have no objections to people making sure the rental and home value prices are high enough to keep people out who can't afford to be there !!! It's the only way to preserve the quality and upkeep of areas.
Sadly, some of the people who sold and now rent their property must be more desperate than to think in terms to protect their investment.

It does not take much to clean your yard, trim your shrubbery and don't litter up the area, but to some people this is a problem they can't seem to meet and overcome. Then you get people "driving" as if they don't like being at home, I think some just ride just because they have a car, back and forth and back and forth. Geez whiz!!!!!!

The women at the convenience stores have stated how much they have noticed the change.

It's really pathetic, because I should not have to consider relocating, but its a matter of the pathetic mentality of some people who are determined to bring down communities with their crap mentality.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 04-03-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 04:32 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Shreveport is not that bad of a town. Everytime I'm in Shreveport it seems lively and vibrant. It just looks like its an older town, which most places east of Texas are older, but older doesn't have to mean something is bad. Actually, Shreveport's not any worse than Duluth, Dayton or South Bend, which are not bad mid sized towns.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:22 AM

The worst areas of shreveport are the ones where poverty has taken a strong hold, the area where people are working are much better.
i complain about my area, which is the big picture is not bad, I just don't like to see people 'litter" and I like to see people keep up their lawns.. Most do, its just a few for what ever the reason don't give it as much attention as they could.
I think as a city we need more things for "young people to do", 'we need more programs for the young people to develop their capabilities.
I don't plan pack up and leave, because I've seen various things I'm not interested in turn many areas into change.
I don't care much for the new style communities with the fraction of a yard in front and even less in the back. I saw them build a lot of that in California and in some the price spiked up and other were jam packed with houses.

If we get our roads fixed, and do some clean up in the challenged areas it will be a great help for the over-all.

All cities across the country except the very wealthy are juggling with budgets as cost increase and people want more services, but they don't want to pay more to get it. The fact is, nothing is free, and it takes some means to get the funds and resources to make improvements in any area.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The worst areas of shreveport are the ones where poverty has taken a strong hold, the area where people are working are much better.
i complain about my area, which is the big picture is not bad, I just don't like to see people 'litter" and I like to see people keep up their lawns.. Most do, its just a few for what ever the reason don't give it as much attention as they could.
I think as a city we need more things for "young people to do", 'we need more programs for the young people to develop their capabilities.
I don't plan pack up and leave, because I've seen various things I'm not interested in turn many areas into change.
I don't care much for the new style communities with the fraction of a yard in front and even less in the back. I saw them build a lot of that in California and in some the price spiked up and other were jam packed with houses.

If we get our roads fixed, and do some clean up in the challenged areas it will be a great help for the over-all.

All cities across the country except the very wealthy are juggling with budgets as cost increase and people want more services, but they don't want to pay more to get it. The fact is, nothing is free, and it takes some means to get the funds and resources to make improvements in any area.
The problem is that Shreveport has two kinds of successful people: Those who are not spending money there (old money), and those who are planning to leave the area and take it with them.

There is absolutely no attraction or pull in SBC for anyone who has any means.

Literally the only reason people have given me is "My family is here". That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City