Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 29,475 times

Advertisements

https://slamdunkforshreveport.com/

Surely there are better ways to spend this kind of $$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Like infrastructure repair and replacement? Yep

Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM

I mean...even if you set aside study after study that shows these sports arenas never pay for themselves, doesn't Shreveport already have a basketball arena (Hirsch)?

Hasn't Shreveport proven beyond a reasonable doubt by the wreckage left behind from (insert sports team here that moved to another city) it won't support professional sports?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:17 PM

On a related note, Frisco (suburb of Dallas) has a G-league team. I think the city bought them a basketball court for a whopping $200,000 to be here.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:20 PM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
I think this is an ambitious project. Shreveport really has a lot of potential that is going to waste. I'm not sure why a lot of people would bash this project when they always complain about there not being enough progress and forward thinking. Hope this project becomes reality.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Spending that kind of money for a sports arena that will probably stay empty might not be as forward thinking as Shreveport needs.

Over the years, Shreveport has had 3 professional basketball teams, 10+ professional baseball teams, 8 professional football teams, and 1 professional hockey team, all of which left town. (I don't count the current incarnation of the Mudbugs - they're developmental league, which is essentially high schoolers playing hockey).

Shreveport just doesn't support sports teams. If they spend the millions to build this thing, will anyone ever play in it more than a couple years? Would Shreveport not be better off spending that money elsewhere?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I think this is an ambitious project. Shreveport really has a lot of potential that is going to waste. I'm not sure why a lot of people would bash this project when they always complain about there not being enough progress and forward thinking. Hope this project becomes reality.
A sports arena is not the investment Shreveport needs. That does nothing to alleviate the poverty and uneducation of the population.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:55 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
The city is in a downward spiral right now and is on its way to becoming the next Youngstown, Ohio. They need to be able to diversify industries and walk and chew gum at the same time. Fix what needed and still go after developments/ The city of Atlanta was built on speculation.

3 universities in the city and it is still uneducated????

Racial prejudice, lazy city government, and crime has hurt the city

Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 AM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A sports arena is not the investment Shreveport needs. That does nothing to alleviate the poverty and uneducation of the population.
Watching the video it did not seem like the arena was the center piece of this development. But something that would be added later. Anywho I still believe even if the arena isn't built this is a good project that would draw some economic development. Everyone seems to be focusing on the arena and not the overall project. Not to mention it would be a multipurpose venue.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
No development is going to bring what Shreveport needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City